The Nobel Prize in Literature discussion

Other Discussions > Who Will Win?

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kris (new)

Kris Kipling (liehtzu) | 136 comments Mod
Speculations for the coming years.

message 2: by Anne Sofie (new)

Anne Sofie (annesofielovesmozart) i really hope Paul Auster will win!

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric (EMichaelRupert) | 2 comments My hope is that Cormac McCarthy will win before he dies. His work, to me, is synonymous with "American". He gets the angst. He gets the wrath. He gets the troubled nature of delusional believers. In my mind he is better than Philip Roth in all of these aspects save for humor. He is fairly humorless. But then so are most influential Americans.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd love to see Les Murray get it. He's received a certain amount of criticism for clunkiness - for a lack of metre and for straining after an effect - but, to me, even the odd bum note is enjoyable. He's like Thelonius Monk or Pablo Casals: you can't mistake him for anyone else. Also, he's mapped his territory so thoroughly that, if I visited the Australian bush now, I expect I'd see it through his eyes.

message 5: by Wolfe (new)

Wolfe Tone | 5 comments Amos Oz should've won it a decade ago, but I still hope he will win soon. Roth would be a decent choice, but they won't pick him.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Wolfe wrote: "Amos Oz should've won it a decade ago, but I still hope he will win soon. Roth would be a decent choice, but they won't pick him."

They don't like what they perceive as Roth's attitude to women. Plus he dips in and out of the demotic. My theory is that the Academy are never very comfortable with that; most of them speak English as a second language, so they're more comfortable with content than with style.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with McCarthy, absolutely. I would keep an eye on Niall Williams, too. As to the deleted user's comment above, I don't think it's Roth vis-a-vis women that's the problem; I think it's his politics. He makes no bones about what he thinks of the Israeli government, We're not allowed to do that. I want to watch Teju Cole, also. Brilliant man, not understood by Americans, because we know nothing at all about Nigeria, or Africa in general. Ferrante? Perhaps. They let so many people die! And they have so many countries to consider. Imagine looking at the literary output of the entire world. It's small-making, me and my little opinions.