Webcomic Wonderland discussion

Archive > Favorite Main Character nominations

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Wednesday, the moderator of Shoujo Manga Book Club, has kindly allowed me to use her ideas for tournament categories. So once the Best Webcomic tournament is over, I will be starting up other tournaments. As the topic suggests, the first of these will be Favorite Main Character. Others will follow, like Best Art or Favorite Couple. If you have any other ideas for tournament categories, post them here.

Okay, so back to the point of this topic. You can nominate your favorite webcomic main characters here. Please note that I said MAIN character. That means no sidekicks, no best friends, no love interests, no villains. We can have separate tournaments for all of those characters later. You can nominate as many characters as you like. Please list the name and webcomic each is from. Links would be nice, too.

message 2: by Mike (last edited Oct 27, 2012 01:34PM) (new)

Mike | 1499 comments Mod
This one will be really interesting, as webcomics most often seem to work with more of an ensemble cast and usually the main character isn't the ultimate fan favorite.

There are a few where a couple characters could be argued for "main" status. For those I'll nominate who I think is meant to be the main character but if any look wrong let me know.

Dee from Little Dee
Roy from Order of the Stick
minus from minus.
Simon from Minor Acts of Heroism
Martin from Questionable Content
Jason from Multiplex
Slick from Sinfest

I have no Earthly idea who would be called the single main character of FreakAngels, so I guess it sits this one out.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments I would say that any of the actual FreakAngels would count as a main character. Pick whoever is your favorite or even several of them. Deciding who the main character is can be tricky business. Typically there is only one, but it is possible for there to be more. If anyone is unsure of whether or not a character is the main one, feel free to ask me. I will help you figure it out.

message 4: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 257 comments Monica from Wapsi Square
Agatha from Girl Genius
Jennie from Devil's Panties
Antimony from Gunnerkrigg Court
Dewey from Unshelved
Bud from 1977

OK, those are my obvious ones... The rest, like Mike said, are mostly ensemble casts (Evil, Inc) or rotating ones (Widdershins).

message 5: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments I'll have to look into webcomics with ensemble casts. As far as webcomics with rotating casts go, the main character of each arc is fine with me. So for Widdershins, Sid or O'Malley are fine.

message 6: by Kristen (last edited Dec 02, 2012 08:19AM) (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Kim from Dresden Codak
Rocky from Lackadaisy
Commander Badass from Manly Guys Doing Manly Things
Angora from The Meek(NSFW)
Ferris from Fishbones(possibly NSFW)
Max from Paranatural
Max from Max Overacts

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments This tournament will go up as soon as the Best Webcomic Tournament is over. That's in about two weeks! If you would like to nominate a favorite character, make sure that you do it soon!

message 8: by Laura (new)

Laura Morrigan (LauraMorrigan) | 55 comments I love the two main characters in Phoenix Requieum. She is a female medical student, which is awesome! Anya and Jonas.

message 9: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1499 comments Mod
I'll go with Connor and Arkady for FreakAngels. They're both the two that kinda jumped to mind when I was trying to determine if the series had a main character (and failed) and two of my favorites. :)

I'll also nominate
Rice Boy from Rice Boy
Elanor from Dreamless
Llewellyn from Jump Leads

message 10: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1499 comments Mod
Last call for Favorite Main Character nominations! First round will go up tomorrow.