Graphic Novel Reading Group discussion

Archives > How many Graphic Novels/Comics have you read?

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mikayla (new)

Mikayla many

message 2: by Sérgio (last edited Oct 27, 2012 11:55AM) (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments Hi Mikayla. You meant graphic novels/comics, right?

I've changed the title. If you meant books in general you can rechange the title and it should be on the off-topic folder.

message 3: by Sérgio (new)

Sérgio | 459 comments As for myself I'd say I've read something close to 500 graphic novels and trades. I haven't added them all to goodreads because some I've read a long time ago and I'm not bothering to add stuff I won't rate.

There's still tons of stuff I want to read, though. :)

message 4: by Jay (new)

Jay (chisonoio) I'm sure I've read well over a thousand comics, and dozens of graphic novels. The current graphic novel series that I'm reading are "Days Missing" and "The Darkness." I have a ton still in my to-read list and I feel like I'll never catch up. Sigh.

message 5: by Paul (last edited Oct 27, 2012 03:53PM) (new)

Paul | 286 comments well, I have over 4000 "graphic novels" in my collection... all read, some more than once, most of which are compilations containing many issues of series.
and seeing as I've given away/sold just as many others in the past, I would guess that I've probably read around 10,000 or thereabouts.
and yeah, there's still tons of stuff I still want to read as well.

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (RHWright) | 294 comments My shelves are saying 348, but that doesn't include many I haven't captured that way.

And that doesn't include the vast uncollected that I've read as individual comics.

message 7: by Suge (new)

Suge | 27 comments I'm not sure how many I've read. I have a shit ton on my book shelf but there were some I read in the past that I no longer have anymore. I do know that I have about thirty that I have to read now lol

message 8: by Dominick (new)

Dominick (DominickGrace) | 160 comments Counting floppies (as I assume you mean us to, given that you list graphic novels/comics as the subject, I'd have to say, at a guess, somewhere in the neighbourhood of 5,000 at least. I've been reading comics for as long as I remember, and I'm 49, so that's a lot of years, and there were many years I'd read as many as 30 floppies a month. The total of actual graphic novels--whether collections of comics or works produced in that longer form originally--must be at least in the several hundreds, whether you count collections of newspaper strips or not. Most of what I've read in graphic novels isn't listed here, and I have about 200 listed (a few on my GN list are actually just comics-related, not actual GNs). I'd have to guess I've read at least that many GNs again, and probably considerably more.

message 9: by Seth (new)

Seth T. (sethhahne) | 63 comments Not counting floppies and instead just counting graphic novels, novellas, albums, and non-fiction works as well as bound collections of serials, I've read several thousand. Probably around three.

And that feels like it's not remotely enough.

message 10: by Andy (new)

Andy (AndyWolverton) This year? 70 so far, not counting floppies. That may not sound like that many, but several of those were 500+ page Marvel Essentials or DC Showcase or omnibus editions. Plus my total books read this year should hit 200 by Dec. 31.

message 11: by Meran (new)

Meran | 115 comments I'm on the high end too. No idea at this point.. Doesn't even count the monthly singles either. (I read about 20 series)

I was sick and couldn't read for the first 6 months of the year (scary!!!) but I'll hit about 150 by end of year. that's mixed novels, fiction and non fiction, as well as graphic novels (and ebooks).

message 12: by Mike Briggs (new)

Mike Briggs (MikeBriggs) I do not have a good way to keep track of my single issues so I don't include them in my total (there was a site I was using, but I kept forgetting to go to it).

I have 170 on my graphic novels shelf on here. All of those are read. 124 additional ones on my comic strip collection shelf. I know I've read more that have slipped through my record tracking. And then there are those adult graphic novels that I do not track on here. No idea how many of those I've read.

message 13: by Antaeus (last edited Nov 23, 2012 01:06PM) (new)

Antaeus | 50 comments I have a very large collection (comic library) and have read comics as long as I can remember. I don't know how many, but a estimated guess will be 5,000 - 10,000.

message 14: by Kirsty (new)

Kirsty (halucinagenia) | 2 comments I only read TPB's I dislike incomplete stories so I only venture into the traditional "comic book" superhero types when an author does a discrete story arch within them, probably around 200, maybe more I don't buy stuff just borrow from libraries.

message 15: by Conico (new)

Conico | 14 comments The Savage Sword of Conan is published in collected books... As is Love and Rockets. Reading those could knock off a large chunk of your goal.

message 16: by Joshua (new)

Joshua | 22 comments So far I have 12 Graphic Novels. I do not collect many actual comic books.

message 17: by Dominick (new)

Dominick (DominickGrace) | 160 comments Nathan wrote: "Well, I went ahead and signed up for the 2013 reading challenge. I'm looking for suggestions as 1000 graphic novels/TPBs in 12 months is going to be a little daunting. So far, I've managed to knock..."

Need to know what you've read in order to make informed recommendations, but nevertheless, here are a few suggestions:

At least the first few volumes of Cerebus, by Dave Sim

Anything by Chester Brown, but especially Ed the Happy Clown

Anything by Dan Clowes, but especially Ghost World, David Boring, and The Death Ray--more, if you like those

Charles Burns's' Black Hole

Spiegelman's Maus

A few of the complete Crumb volumes from Fantagraphics, starting with the late 1960s stuff

Jess Smith's Bone

Miller's first Dark Knight GN (but not the second one) and Batman Year One with Mazzuchelli

Chris Ware's Jimmy Corrigan, If you like that, then explore further.

Bagge's Hate collections. His Batboy book is pretty funny, too.

Seth, It's a Good Life if You Don't Weaken.

message 18: by Meran (new)

Meran | 115 comments I have 3 bookshelves of just graphic novels.. so hundreds, easily. I'd have to count (sorry, too busy to do that ;) )

message 19: by Dominick (last edited Jan 21, 2013 11:26AM) (new)

Dominick (DominickGrace) | 160 comments Nathan wrote: "Need to know what you've read in order to make informed recommendations, but nevertheless, here are a few suggestions:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

In case yo..."

OK, more recommendations, based on my extrapolations about your taste:

The entire run of Sandman GNs by Neil Gaiman and various hands.

David Pederson's MouseGuard books.

You have some non-fiction GNs, so you might want to check out Joe Sacco's stuff; it's great.

Scott McCloud's Zot! is fun.

Some of the Marvel Visionaries books might be worth checking out, notably the volumes of Simonson's Thor and Miller's Daredevil.

Morrison's and Quitely's All-Star Superman

Satrapi's Persepolis books, for some more non-fiction.

You have a lot of stuff for kids; if you like kids' comics, you can't go wrong with Carl Barks. Craig Yoe's Barney the Bear book is nice, but even better is the duck stuff: Fantagraphics has released three volumes of Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge stuff that I'd highly recommend. Their Gottfredson Mickey Mouse reprint series, of the newsppaer strips, is great stuff, too. Spiegelman edited a couple of volumes of stuff for kids--Little Lit, I think the series was called? There's some interesting stuff in them, from an array of hands. A lot of other great kids' stuff is available these days--lots by John Stanley of Little Lulu fame, for instance.

All of Alan Moore's stuff, of course. Well, anyway, Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Marvel/Miracleman (assuming you can find it), From Hell, and his Swamp Thing stuff. Maybe some of the ABC stuff, maybe League of Extraordinary Gentlemen....

Darwyn Cooke's adaptations of Richard Stark's Parker novels are very good.

I don't know a lot about oriental stuff, but I did read a lot of Lone Wolf and Cub, and it's good samurai adventure; Dark Horse released it a few years back in pocket-sized (more or less) editions, relatively inexpensively.

I'm sure tons more will occur to me. Here's a link to the comics/graphic novels/comics related stuff on my list--or most of it, anyway; some might be listed under comics or comic strips, not graphic novels:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/...

Anything I've rated * I would NOT recommend; otherwise, it's amatter of taste, I guess.

message 20: by Dominick (new)

Dominick (DominickGrace) | 160 comments There's no shortage of great stuff out there!