Bookworms discussion

Discussions > Material World.

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Are we becoming more and more insensitive as time moves forward??

When I was a kid, a toffee from my dad was good enough to keep me happy, now I see little kids not being placated even with Playstations.

A person is judged by the mobile he uses, or the brand she wears. Students with no use of business phones flaunt them, just to be HIP and be counted as someone. What if a person cant afford a business phone, what if he cant buy branded clothes, will he be branded as a untouchable, even if he happens to be a good human??

I still believe what Martin Luther King Jr. said, "I have a dream that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

But somewhere I see that dream shaking. DO you share Martin's dream, or are you a devoted follower of the BRAND-WAGON???

Would love to hear both sides of the issue.

message 2: by Neena (new)

Neena (I-am-addicted-to-reading) | 9758 comments Mod
Well I think that depends on a person's upbringing, the way he is brought up and taught values by parents. If the parents are sensitive, kids are bound to end up as being sensitive to other people's feelings. In case of insentivie parents, I have seen kids rotten spoiled and very insensitive to other people's feelings. I personally know a few.

About students and young people, they are very much influenced by TV and Internet, peer's influence etc. So caring too much about materialistic things for them is not a big deal. Eventually they grow out of that with age and time.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Neena wrote: "Well I think that depends on a person's upbringing, the way he is brought up and taught values by parents. If the parents are sensitive, kids are bound to end up as being sensitive to other people'..."

I do hope they grow out of the fixation. Otherwise its going to be tough time ahead.

message 4: by Neena (new)

Neena (I-am-addicted-to-reading) | 9758 comments Mod
That again depends on person to person. I have seen older people who are very immature and irrrational. But people who care too much about such things like brands, big cars etc are shallow inside. So it does noty really matter what do they think about others. who care what do they think? They are empty inside and and avobe too:P Well that's my attitude toward them :D

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

That I think is the best way to cope with the problem. Just avoid them. If time didnt change them, nothing can.

message 6: by Dheeraj (new)

Dheeraj Mohan | 20 comments Chuck Phalanuik, in Damned wrote,something along the lines of, " multi millionaires send their teenagers to nature camps in Hawaii, in private jets, where they are taught to recycle, contribute to save nature etc; because it is considered 'HIP' among their circles."

Let's just hope that valuing character over the superfluous will soon be 'HIP', that we may someday be able to see some semblance of Mr. Kings dream, because there is in truth no hope for the real thing anymore, for reasons far beyond the control of any one - individual, family or society.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Dheeraj wrote: "Chuck Phalanuik, in Damned wrote,something along the lines of, " multi millionaires send their teenagers to nature camps in Hawaii, in private jets, where they are taught to recycle, contribute to ..."

True, very true.

message 8: by Awesome (new)

Awesome (Awesomme) | 40 comments I agree with Neena and Dheeraj. Upbringing makes a difference and as Dheeraj said reasons are beyod control of anyone.

message 9: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 2406 comments It's largely due to the modern society I believe. This point was illustrated very well in the movie "Fight Club" where Tyler Durden and co. go on a crusade against consumerism. When we were younger, we mostly did or wanted to do what we saw other kids doing. A chocolate or a pen was considered an amazing birthday gift, nothing would make me happier than getting a comic book to read or a jigsaw puzzle to solve and so on.

These days, kids see their parents using cool gadgets, other kids playing cool games etc. So, they feel bad if they don't want the same. More than hopping the Brand wagon, I would say we have come to depend more and more on it.

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (BerryNumey) One side of the "hip" tread: In my view, I'm kinda a rebel when it comes to trendy stuff. I go against it. Like for example..clothing. When a kind of top or T is "in" I wear something totally opposite it. It could also be because I don't care, not that I do :/ Hoodies always work =)

The other side: People think that when they decorate themselves form outside aka their attire, they can conceal the soul within. Not true. Also they always the problem of "proving" who they are/want to be.

message 11: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 2406 comments Nowadays, hipsters are becoming cool, thereby defeating the whole purpose of the hipster culture. Earlier, hipsters would keep to themselves and let the "cool" people bask in the spotlight, nowadays more and more people are showing off their hipness and inspiring many people to do the same, thereby becoming "cooler". But the other end of the spectrum which was already cool is still cool.

We could be witnessing the end of hipsters as we know it. Anyone get what I'm trying to say here? :D

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (BerryNumey) I think I get what you're saying. But being "cooler" isn't going to make you an ultimate human XD

message 13: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 2406 comments Of course not, I'm a hipster myself. Not in the way I dress (well, at times, I suppose), but more like my taste in things usually goes against the norms and I have only chanced upon similar people on the internet. We are rarely distributed on this planet :D

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (BerryNumey) And may I know who your other partners in crime are? XD

message 15: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 2406 comments Not on Goodreads, I mean yeah there are some people on GR, but we don't discuss much except books so I wouldn't know about other tastes :D

There were a few Orkut friends in some communities, now in FB :P As more time passes, contact between us lessen and the number dwindles XD

Of course, this is nothing about material world, we are hipsters but quite fond of the products brought to us by consumerism :D

❄️ Propertea Of Frostea ❄️ Bitter SnoBerry ❄ (BerryNumey) It's beyond my reasoning XD
Have you seen the other views of mine on this "discussions"?

message 17: by Rahul Nath (new)

Rahul Nath (cultofpersonality) | 2406 comments In the other topics you mean? Yes, will reply in those too in some time :D