The Sword and Laser discussion

Frankenstorm

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5095 comments Ready for this thing?

message 2: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Weis | 126 comments I read this morning that it's already been downgraded to a Tropical Storm (and then bumped back up to hurricane an hour later) and it's not going to be anywhere near as bad as they have been saying the past few days. But who knows. The weatherman is the only guy who can be wrong 75% of the time and keep his job. >.<

That being said I can survive on the plethora of halloween candy in my apartment, and since I work at Pier One I have more candles than a Yankee Candle store. I'll be fine. ;-)

message 3: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3636 comments I'm far enough west but not so far west that I should only get rain. Maybe some high-ish wind. Based on the latest maps, I should get 3-6" of rain. I have plenty of audiobooks. And candles. And since I'm still recovering from back surgery and a follow-on surgery to repair the incision, I've got nothing better to do anyway.

message 4: by Anton (new)

Anton | 25 comments Since they've shut down most transit into Manhattan for my job at Penguin, I get an extra day or two to work on the follow up to Alchemystic (The Spellmason Chronicles, #1) by Anton Stroutso it's win win, but still work for me :P

Plus I have a pile of The Walking Dead, Book Two by Robert Kirkmanto catch up on!

message 5: by kvon (new)

kvon | 558 comments My office is closed for the day, so some time for reading, and obsessive tv weather watching. And we're far enough east that all we should see is wind. And power outages and coastal flooding. (Happily twenty feet of elevation and a half mile from the bay is enough for me.)

message 6: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3636 comments So far I still have power, though the main thrust hasn't hit my area yet. They are now expecting 4-7" of rain and gusts up to 65 mph where I live.

And all I've done is watch TV. So much for reading and catching up on my podcast backlog. ;)

message 7: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5095 comments We're still debating on whether or not to get a generator. But we can't get it until wednesday anyway.

message 8: by Alterjess (new)

Alterjess | 319 comments The wind map shows a pretty stunning visualisation of how big this thing is.

I'm in Brooklyn and so far we still have power/cable/internet. But the lights have been flickering and the wind is getting scary.

message 9: by Tamahome (last edited Oct 29, 2012 11:58PM) (new)

Tamahome | 5095 comments No power in Jersey. I think a lot of transformers exploded.

message 10: by Anne (new)

Anne Schüßler (anneschuessler) | 709 comments Oh wow! I hope you are all doing okay over there.

I'll be following the news from the safety of another continent.

message 11: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 5095 comments I was down for only two days. Good thing I had a ups and a couple laptops for charging (and a gas stove).

message 12: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 1081 comments I was out for three days. I went to local library to change on Wednesday, and it pack and hot beyond belief because it was one of the two or three libraries open in the state that day.