Beantown Bookworms discussion

Bookstores - gone but not forgotten

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Scott (new)

Scott Gillespie (scottg) I hung around Harvard Square a lot from the mid '70s to the early '80s and fondly remember a lot of nifty places that have since gone, but the bookstores I miss: Paperback Booksmith, Reading International, Pangloss, The Star, and The Bookcase - and it's extension store across the street, The Bookcase Annex.

And in Boston proper I miss Spenser's Mystery Bookshop, Waterstones, and most of all, Avenue Victor Hugo.

*sigh*

message 2: by Antoine (new)

Antoine | 3 comments I almost wept when I saw that Avenue Victor Hugo was gone. That was always the store where I would find the book I had given up on. The Booksmith on Boylston street was great too, especially for fantasy and SF. And in Harvard Square, I still haven't gotten over the loss of Wordsworths.

message 3: by Jean (new)

Jean Liota (gardenlady56) | 2 comments Waterstones! Yes. I could spend entire days there.

message 4: by Ulrich (new)

Ulrich (ulrichboser) | 6 comments True. And it makes it all the more important to support the great indies that are still around like Brookline Booksmith and Porter Square Books.

message 5: by Jean (new)

Jean Liota (gardenlady56) | 2 comments Ulrich wrote: "True. And it makes it all the more important to support the great indies that are still around like Brookline Booksmith and Porter Square Books."

Agreed. But why's your reading at BN instead of one of the indies? Does the publisher make you do that? Can an author just say no? I bet you get more real book buyers at an indie.

message 6: by Ulrich (new)

Ulrich (ulrichboser) | 6 comments You're right. We did actually get more book buyers at indies, and I gave readings at a lot of area indies, including Brookline Booksmith, Andover Bookstore, and Wellesley Booksmith. The book has also become an indie sort of hit, landing on the national best-seller list of the American Bookstore Association.

message 7: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 7 comments Does anyone know any good bookstores in the downtown Boston area (preferably by the financial district but I'll take anywhere downtown)

message 8: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Best option downtown is Borders on Washington St. There are a few used book places, too. Milk St and on West St. Good Luck...

message 9: by Deborah (new)

Deborah Edwards I have a friend who swears by a bookstore called Symposium in Boston. I think it may be in that general area.