Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > M.P. Shiel, or Matthew Phipps Shiel ??

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by James (last edited Oct 27, 2012 01:45AM) (new)

James (jim-bobs) | 5 comments Hi -I could do with some help,
'Matthew Phipps Shiel', seems to be more commonly referred to as 'M.P. Shiel' (his wiki entry, if you search 'Matthew Phipps Shiel' automatically re-directs to 'M.P Shiel')
Unfortunately, most of the goodreads entries are for 'Matthew Phipps Shiel', but, looking at all the covers for the books listed, he is referred to as 'M.P. Shiel' on the actual book-covers.

I am a bit loath to change a majority listing author to a minority one, so I thought I would run it past 'the committee' before taking things any further. Suggestions would be most appreciated!

message 2: by Koenraad (new)

Koenraad (koenraadkelemen) | 3491 comments Hi James,
I've done some digging in the catalogues of the Library of Congress, the British Library, National Library of Scotland and the 'Koninklijke Bibliotheek' (Dutch national library). They all have 'M.P. Shiel' as the only or the preferred name. It's also the name by which he is known on Gutenberg.org. And indeed, it is the name that is present on every one of the book covers here on Goodreads. So I would definitely go for 'M.P. Shiel'.

But I would first combine the two profiles into the one for 'Matthew Phipps Shiel' and then change the name in that profile to 'M.P. Shiel'. That way we keep the more complete profile.

message 3: by James (new)

James (jim-bobs) | 5 comments Many thanks,
My instinct was to do that, but I just wanted to be double-sure!

message 4: by James (new)

James (jim-bobs) | 5 comments and very impressive referencing, Mista!