The Random Person's Book Club discussion

Books and Movies

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta (new)

Loretta I've notice several movies that follow a book example , Must Love Dogs, The Notebook, P.S. I Love You ect. ect.
I was wondering do any of you read the book first? or watch the movie first? or even watch the movie? . or perhaps do you watch the movie and not read the book?

message 2: by Claire (new)

Claire (deborahclaire) I don't really have a preferred order for books or movies. Sometimes I'll see the movie and never develop an interest to read the book; other times it's the other way around. I guess I would always *prefer* to read the book first, but sometimes I am just see the movie nonetheless. If I get excited to see a movie way before its release and have time to read the book, I'll do that.

Two books I recently read, Atonement and The Golden Compass, both are good examples of this for me. I had many months to read the books before both films came out, and I'm glad I read before seeing the films - even though I'm not rushing out to see them now. However, I really want to see No Country for Old Men at the moment, even though I have no desire to read the book. It just all depends on how I feel after seeing a film's trailer or read a critic's review. So much of my interest relies on these little three-minute clips! I guess that's why I love trailers and am often disappointed when I see their full-length result.

message 3: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) Hi Loretta and Claire-
I agree with Claire's first sentence, but then there are times when I love a book so much that I must see the movie if it comes out, but I am always afraid that I will be disappointed. But when I saw The Hours, after reading the book by Michael Cunningham, I loved the movie as much as the book. Maybe it was the casting, as well.
I also saw the movie Love in the Time of Cholera which I liked very much, even though the critics panned it. I thought it followed the book pretty much to the letter. Of course, I think the book is a masterpiece, but nonetheless I think the movie was well done.

message 4: by Kj (new)

Kj | 3 comments I've had this conversation with my brother-in-law and I suggest watching the movie first, to get an idea of the story, and read the book second, more slowly, to get the really good, thoughtful, detailed experience. I often feel disappointed if I've read the book first and the movie doesn't have the same quality.

My brother-in-law must read the book first, because he's afraid the movie will put 'ideas' in his head. Rubbish.

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori (tnbbc) I really prefer to read the book 1st. When Da Vinci code came out in the theaters, I took my husband. I had read it beforehand.. and I got to tell you, if I hadnt, I would have been lost during the 1st 20 minutes of the movie... they cut out alot of the introductory stuff.

On the flip side of that, Ive watched High Fidelity years before I read the book, and it was interesting becuase as i read it, I pictured John Cusak and Jack Black in my head as I progressed through the novel. (but then the book left almost nothing to be imagined)

Than again, I read I AM Legend ages before Will Smiths blockbuster came out, and I was very disappointed that it didnt follow the book at all, yet as a whole I was able to appreciate it as a seperate entity.

Does that make sense?

message 6: by Rachael (new)

Rachael I really don't have a prefence. Just whatever gets done first. LOL

message 7: by Karen & Gerard (new)

Karen & Gerard (wwwgoodreadscomprofilekzemek) | 6 comments Usually I read the book first and then am disappointed in the movie, so it would probably be better to see the movie first. But then, I may not bother to read the book. For example, I saw "The Notebook" but haven't yet read the book.