Friends with Books discussion

Monthly Challenges > November 2012: Lies, Spies, and Thieves

Comments (showing 1-13 of 13) (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adriana (last edited Oct 27, 2012 04:44PM) (new)

Adriana The theme for November is all about mysteries. The people who cause them and the people who solve them.
You can read any type of age group for this challenge.

1) Espionage- Read a book with a spy as a main character or a book with a main character disguising their true selves.

2) Private Eye- Read a book where the main character is a detective solving crimes and with gossiping girls who do what they can to get their latest scoop!

3) Liar, Liar Pants on Fire! - Read a book where the main character keeps a deadly secret to themselves or one that causes a great hole in a relationship.

4) Stop Thief! - Read a book about a conniving thief or a cunning character who uses people to get their way.

5) The Slammer- Read a book about the main character being put into jail or at risk of going down that path.

6) Institution - Read a book where an agency or other place employs spies or read a book where a main character can't escape.

7) Rogue - Read a book about a loner who plays by their own rules or a book or a book about a main character who feels alone in the world.

8) Bad Guys - Read a book about the worst bad guys out there - pirates! or a book with a bad guy trying to ruin the life or lives of the main character(s).

Levels
Trickster: 1-2 books
Burglar: 3-4 books
Bandit: 5-6 books
Criminal: 7-8 books

message 2: by Adriana (new)

Adriana I'm going to be a Burglar :P

message 3: by Adriana (new)

Adriana The Magic Thief (Magic Thief, #1) by Sarah Prineas Something Like Hope by Shawn Goodman Harriet the Spy by Louise Fitzhugh
These books are what I'm planning to read.

message 4: by Josiah (new)

Josiah (KenJenningsJeopardy74) Harriet the Spy should be a good one. Then, of course, you have to make time to eventually read The Long Secret. Louise Fitzhugh's works are regarded as genuine modern classics.

message 5: by Adriana (new)

Adriana The cover doesn't look very "Harriet the Spy"

message 6: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawless) Great challenge Adriana! Unfortunately, I'm taking a break from GR in November (for nanowrimo, among other things), and won't get to participate. :(

message 7: by Josiah (new)

Josiah (KenJenningsJeopardy74) Adriana wrote: "The cover doesn't look very "Harriet the Spy""

It depends what edition of the book you find. Some of them have covers that look a lot more like Harriet the Spy. After reading The Long Secret, of course, you might find that you're interested in reading Harriet Spies Again and Harriet the Spy, Double Agent. While not Louise Fitzhugh novels, fans of Harriet will want to find out what happens to her next in these official sequels.

message 8: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Trevor wrote: "Great challenge Adriana! Unfortunately, I'm taking a break from GR in November (for nanowrimo, among other things), and won't get to participate. :("

I think I'm going to do that too. Do you know what you are going to write about?

message 9: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Josiah wrote: "Adriana wrote: "The cover doesn't look very "Harriet the Spy""

It depends what edition of the book you find. Some of them have covers that look a lot more like Harriet the Spy. After reading The L..."

How many are there of hers? Is it like Nancy Drew?

message 10: by Josiah (new)

Josiah (KenJenningsJeopardy74) No, I think that's all there is to the books about Harriet. As Rosemary Wells did for Rachel Field's classic character Hitty, I believe the authors who wrote the two additional Harriet books were paying homage to a beloved author and character, trying to re-interest a new generation of readers in an old favorite.

message 11: by Adriana (new)

Adriana Oh that's sweet. I wish someone would do that for other beloved authors that have passed.

message 12: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (nathlawless) Adriana wrote: "Trevor wrote: "Great challenge Adriana! Unfortunately, I'm taking a break from GR in November (for nanowrimo, among other things), and won't get to participate. :("

I think I'm going to do that to..."

I have no idea! haha. I'm going to wing it, I think.

message 13: by Adriana (new)

Adriana I read:
Something Like Hope by Shawn Goodman
It was a great read but pretty messed up. I'm sure that's the point.