Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

Urban Fantasy > Chicagoland Vampires - Yay or nay?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 57) (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bird (new)

Bird (thebird) | 20 comments I'm most of the way through the first book, and liking it so far, but I'm not sure I like it enough to read all of the books in the series. So tell me, is it worth continuing? Does it have a good storyline/plot arc and not get all weird (like some long series do)? What's the steam level? I'm usually a PNR reader, so I like my stories pretty steamy!

Thanks!

message 2: by Annie (new)

Annie  (AnniePerkyMonkey-Buns) I liked it alright, but I quit after the 3rd book. Too much angst and sexual tension. I like sexual tension... when the goods are delivered. They weren't for me.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (MLPMomBookReviewer) | 837 comments I think I have only read the first three (maybe four) as well but not because I didn't like them, I love the series. I just haven't had the time to read them.

My only complaint with them is that they all end on a cliffhanger and not little ones either, pretty big ones.

There is a lot of sexual tension and very little action so if you are looking for something really steamy this might not be the series for you.

But, having said that, I love all the characters in this one. The main ones are just as great as the secondary and it is full of action and some mystery. There is quite a but of humor in them too which I love. I like all the banter between the characters.

The first book gives you a pretty good feel for the rest of the series I think so if you don't love it then you might not like all the others. I will say, that I did like the second book much better than the first, but I usually do with most series anyways.

I just read everything I write above and decided, I am not much help LOL! I really didn't give you any great advice. :P

They do get better so if you like the first one then I say, give the second one a chance and then decide from there.

message 4: by Jacqueline (last edited Oct 26, 2012 01:03PM) (new)

Jacqueline Rhoades (JackieRhoades) | 34 comments I love the Chicagoland Vampire series, but I actually read it as a break from romance. I've always loved espionage and political intrigue and Chloe Neill has put them in a UF setting. If you're expecting a lot of steam, they're probably not for you. If you're looking for exceptional world building that seamlessly overlaps the world we know and one woman's quest to do the right thing even if it's not always clear what the right thing is, this series could be for you.
If you're enjoying the first, you might want to take a break before you read the next one. This is a series that is more pleasurable with some time in between. Some Girls Bite (Chicagoland Vampires, #1) by Chloe Neill Twice Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #3) by Chloe Neill Friday Night Bites (Chicagoland Vampires, #2) by Chloe Neill Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4) by Chloe Neill Drink Deep (Chicagoland Vampires, #5) by Chloe Neill

message 5: by Deanne (new)

Deanne | 209 comments I thought it was a solid series. Good story and characters. :)

message 6: by P.A. (last edited Oct 26, 2012 02:34PM) (new)

P.A. Lupton (PALupton) | 909 comments Bird wrote: "I'm most of the way through the first book, and liking it so far, but I'm not sure I like it enough to read all of the books in the series. So tell me, is it worth continuing? Does it have a good..."

I personally really enjoy Chicagoland, but like you,I didn't love the first book. It's Urban Fantasy not PNR and I tend to be more forgiving with Urban Fantasy. Usually it takes a lot of world building to lay out the foundation of the paranormal world in an Urban Fantasy. I always make myself read at least 2 before I give up(unless I hate it). Especially if it's a series people rave about. Fever was the same way for me. For the first two books I could not figure out why everyone raved about the series so much, but by the third I was hooked, and by the end of the last I was telling people they needed to read it. LOL

message 7: by Ezinwanyi (new)

Ezinwanyi I haven't read this, but I am going to buy the audiobook at audible today since it is $6.95 on sale for the series

message 8: by Bird (new)

Bird (thebird) | 20 comments P.A. wrote: "I personally really enjoy Chicagoland, but like you,I didn't love the first book. It's Urban Fantasy not PNR and I tend to be more forgiving with Urban Fantasy. Usually it takes a lot of world building to lay out the foundation of the paranormal world in an Urban Fantasy. I always make myself read at least 2 before I give up(unless I hate it). Especially if it's a series people rave about. Fever was the same way for me. For the first two books I could not figure out why everyone raved about the series so much, but by the third I was hooked, and by the end of the last I was telling people they needed to read it. LOL ..."

I was actually the same way with the Fever series! I wrote an absolutely scathing review for the first book, but the series was so well-loved that I forced myself to read the second book, then ended up devouring the rest of the series.

message 9: by P.A. (new)

P.A. Lupton (PALupton) | 909 comments @Bird-I find I'm that way with most Urban Fantasy. Goergia Kincaid for example, I liked the book it was a solid 4 star read but I didn't get the hype. Then it got better in book 2 and by the last I was ga ga for the series. I think it takes a while to build momentum in Urban Fantasy and you can't go into a series without making yourself read at least 2. Well, unless you absolutely can't stand it. LOL

message 11: by Tracy T. (new)

Tracy T. (traecrochet) | 252 comments Chicagoland Vamps is one of my favorite series. I absolutely love the characters, and the world she built.

message 12: by Lisa - (Aussie Girl) (last edited Oct 26, 2012 04:18PM) (new)

Lisa - (Aussie Girl) | 407 comments I really liked the first four books, but I think the series has lost its way a little. The Ethan thing was resolved too quickly and easily. I'm not sure if the series is supposed to be Urban Fantasy or crossover with YA. Even despite these few niggles I will probably finish the series if Chloe Neill keeps to the nine book scenario.

message 13: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments There are a few scenes throughout the series, but it's mostly tension. So you may not be into them.

message 14: by Mel (new)

Mel (Soireb) | 61 comments It's a Yay from me,

I love the series. I was a bit skeptical before I read it due to all the hype. Then I gave it a try and now I'm counting the days until House Rules (Chicagoland Vampires, #7) by Chloe Neill comes out.

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dneff21878) | 6 comments on book 2 and liking the series so far.

message 16: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (LivetoRead66) | 2 comments I love this series! It's definitely Urban Fantasy, I've ready her YA series and it's much more dialed down. I love the world she has created and am completely invested in the characters Yay!

message 17: by Anika (new)

Anika (teddybear1) | 318 comments Annie wrote: "I liked it alright, but I quit after the 3rd book. Too much angst and sexual tension. I like sexual tension... when the goods are delivered. They weren't for me."

Yey and I agree with you Annie, she could have expanded on the storyline when it came to sex. But I enjoy this series and will continue reading every book.

message 18: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Bair-Epps | 725 comments The series got a little weird to me with Drink Deep. (view spoiler)

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 386 comments This series was a slow burner for me - yes the sexual tension got to me, the first 3 were OK, but nothing special, but the last 3 have been a lot better.

I actually read Biting Cold as soon as it came out, which is something I never do.

So it's a series you have to stick with, and don't expect a lot of sex.

Ann has a dirty mouth (AnnisBringingSexyBack) | 14 comments This may seem like a stupid complaint, but I was upset that it was not very Chicago-y. I have lived here my whole life, and I didn't feel like I got as good a feel for my beloved city as I do from the Dresden Files or Beth Kery's books. I think I may have been expecting too much from the title.

message 21: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments o.O Really? 'Cause a friend and I are long time Chicagoans and we thought she did as good a job as anyone- actually my friend thought her better than Dresden at that. Although I admit she portrays the city as very, very bougie and white and doesn't really convey the awesome character of the city- or any city. Since most cities are not peopled with perfect and high end.

Ann has a dirty mouth (AnnisBringingSexyBack) | 14 comments new_user wrote: "Although I admit she portrays the city as very, very bougie and white and doesn't really convey the awesome character of the city- or any city."

Yeah, I think that may be what I am responding too. It seemed all very "these are the things we show the tourists" rather than the actual character. She is far from the only writer (especially since I am a romance fan) to be overly obsessed with bougie stuff.

Although now that I am thinking things over, I agree with you that Dresden isn't so great either.

message 23: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Lipman (SharonLipmanAuthor) | 56 comments When I first read the first 4 or 5 books, it kinda reminded my of Night Huntress but without the steam! Its a good story, but you'll be disappointed with the lack of sex and overwhelmed by the abundance of sexual tension. These vamps don't get their ends away nearly enough! Still a good read though.

message 24: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) i think she actually lives in Chicago or near it...I heard her speak at the library of congress right after Biting cold was released and it sounded like she was from there

message 25: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 193 comments I'm a yay! I really enjoy the books, but if you want steamy these only have occasional steamy parts but lots of tension. Like others said, these are UF not PNR so it's more about Merit than anything else.

That said, as much as I've enjoyed the 6 that are currently out I am hoping that the books do end at the contracted 10. I hate when a series runs on too long.

message 26: by Irene (new)

Irene (IreneMikhaylova) | 477 comments Yay! I really like the books, there's no steamy romance in them - very rarely some scenes but a lot of thinking about it and expecting it ;) And it doesn't feel like it's getting "old" - she keeps inventing something new, introducing new creatures and the characters are believable - though sometimes I want to strangle Darth Ethan because of his stupidity or something! LOL

message 27: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 193 comments Irene wrote: "Yay! I really like the books, there's no steamy romance in them - very rarely some scenes but a lot of thinking about it and expecting it ;) And it doesn't feel like it's getting "old" - she keeps ..."

I don't think it's getting old either (view spoiler) but I've noticed lately a lot of 10+ book series end up getting either dull, drawn out or repetitive. While I don't mind a certain similarilty in PNR, I'm a lot fussier about UF.

message 28: by new_user (last edited Oct 30, 2012 07:42PM) (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Dee wrote: "i think she actually lives in Chicago or near it...I heard her speak at the library of congress right after Biting cold was released and it sounded like she was from there"

Yeah, she lives there, but she really misses the beauty of the city and the image she conveys isn't really Chicago. I did like that the city had a presence in her books. At first that was a novelty, but it's like a tour of landmarks, as Ann said. After a while, it's disappointing that she doesn't delve deeper than the initial superficial impression.

message 29: by Rebecca (Bec) (new)

Rebecca (Bec) | 248 comments I LOVE this series, and I am a PNR lover over UF in most occasions so that is saying somthing. So far she has managed to keep it very interesting, dispite the lack of steaamy scence between Ethan and Merick.

I would recommened it even to the PNR lovers as the sexual tension alone keeps me reading.

oh an another series I find that as simialr qualities is the Kate Daniels series Magic Bites is th first book in that one

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 118 comments I have the first one waiting for me to read but I haven't gotten to it yet.

message 31: by Irene (new)

Irene (IreneMikhaylova) | 477 comments Nairabell wrote: I don't think it's getting old either but I've noticed lately a lot of 10+ book series end up getting either dull, drawn out or repetitive. While I don't mind a certain similarilty in PNR, I'm a lot fussier about UF."
Agree with that. But she has several books to go before she reaches 10 books and so far they are good. She manages tho think up something new every time.

Talking about Chicago - I've never been there (and in the US) so it's very interesting to read things about the city and makes me feel more immersed in their lives. Another example, Kat Richardson's Graywalker series is set in Seattle and she describes it a lot with some parts that I wouldn't want to see in reality ;) and it also helps understand reasons.

message 32: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) new_user wrote: "Dee wrote: "i think she actually lives in Chicago or near it...I heard her speak at the library of congress right after Biting cold was released and it sounded like she was from there"

Yeah, she l..."

but at the same time, how many non-chicagoans could appreciate it if she didn't go the tourist route - many wouldn't necessarily know that it was chicago then, could be any big city...food for thought

message 33: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Lynn Martindale (Delchick41) | 23 comments This series is in my to-read section. Is it worth my time?

message 34: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 193 comments I would say it is. Maybe give the first book a shot and see how you feel about the world and characters?

message 35: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 63 comments I love this series. As much as I love the steamier PNR reads, this is one if my favorites. I reread them whenever I'm in a book rut or just because. I love the characters and the storyline. I didn't like the first book as much as the others, which seems to often be the case for UF series. Merit got on my nerves quite a bit in the first book because I found her a bit whiny, but she grows with every book. I want to smack Ethan around pretty often, but I still love him. :)

Some people wonder if it's YA, but it isn't. Merit (the main protagonist) was almost 28 at the beginning of the series. It does sometimes have a bit of a YA feel though.

message 36: by Bird (new)

Bird (thebird) | 20 comments It definitely has a YA feel to it, but like Athena-Nadine said, Merit is in her late 20's in the first book.

Based on the positive responses in this thread, I'm going to reserve my judgment on the series until I've read the second book. Hopefully it goes well!

message 37: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 193 comments Do you guys think the YA feel is down to the lack of sex scenes or the fact Merit is still a student at the start? I've picked up on it too but I can't figure out what's causing it.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (MLPMomBookReviewer) | 837 comments I guess it could be classified as New Adult since they are younger (and still in school) but not teenagers.

And yes, I would think the whole college thing makes it seem "younger" so to speak.

message 39: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 63 comments I think it's a combination of Merit being a grad student when the series starts and of the way the vampires live in houses like fraternities. Mostly, I think it's the tone of the writing. There's just a less mature feel to it, if that makes sense. Merit's voice just doesn't sound like that of an almost 30-year old woman. I expect a woman to sound more like Cat in the Night Huntress books or Gin in the Elemental Assassin books (even without the sex lol).

I enjoy the Chicagoland Vampire books because they are light, fast reads that I just find really fun. But they definitely don't feel as mature or dark as most of the adult UF I'm used to. To me, though, that's part of their charm. :)

message 40: by Kelleigh (new)

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) Didn't like this series much. I made it to book three I believe - had to put it down. just not enough action for me. Everything seemed so blah...

Maybe I'll give it another shot soon, if someone convinces me. ; )

Thanks!

message 41: by Mel (last edited Nov 09, 2012 03:20PM) (new)

Mel (Soireb) | 61 comments Nairabell wrote: "Do you guys think the YA feel is down to the lack of sex scenes or the fact Merit is still a student at the start? I've picked up on it too but I can't figure out what's causing it."

Merit is a 28-year-old grad student at the beginning of the series, I don't think that really translates into YA world, but she does behaves a bit childish at first. Part of why I love this series so much is because you can see her character grow progressively and unlike in other series she doesn't really regresses, she just moves forward.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (MLPMomBookReviewer) | 837 comments Mel wrote: "Nairabell wrote: "Do you guys think the YA feel is down to the lack of sex scenes or the fact Merit is still a student at the start? I've picked up on it too but I can't figure out what's causing i..."
I do love that about this series. She started out feisty but a little childish and by the second or third book (I can't remember now) she turns pretty kick butt and fierce.

message 43: by Nairabell (new)

Nairabell | 193 comments Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) wrote: "Mel wrote: "Nairabell wrote: "Do you guys think the YA feel is down to the lack of sex scenes or the fact Merit is still a student at the start? I've picked up on it too but I can't figure out what..."

I agree. I read 1-3 last year and then 1-6 this year and I was amazed how much she'd changed by book 6. Pretty impressive.

message 44: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments It's Merit's voice. It's kind of girlish. It doesn't really have anything to do with school- she was in grad school, not high school or even undergrad.

message 45: by Mixedbagreader (new)

Mixedbagreader | 3 comments I've been thinking about starting this series, but my problem is that if there's a developing romance in a UF series then I want it to eventually get resolved and have a concrete HEA at the end. I don't need steamy in my UF or for the romance to get resolved in book 4 but I need to know that it will HAPPEN and they won't be parted at the end... or that will ruin the series for me even if I enjoy all of the rest of the plotty goodness. And so I worry about jumping into Chicagoland when it's so long already and it doesn't sound like the romance part is close to HEA squared away.

Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) (MLPMomBookReviewer) | 837 comments It isn't but there are still quite a few books planned in the series. I have no idea what Neill will do in the end of course but even if they do part, I can't see her not giving them all a HEA.

message 47: by Mystic (new)

Mystic Black33 | 3 comments I read the books and could not get into them at all, the storyline just didn't make since to me. I got really bored by the third book.

message 48: by Kelleigh (new)

Kelleigh (goodreadscomsunshine2047) me too mystic.. sigh. Hate it when that happens!

message 49: by _rebeccab (new)

_rebeccab | 2 comments new_user wrote: "It's Merit's voice. It's kind of girlish. It doesn't really have anything to do with school- she was in grad school, not high school or even undergrad."

I enjoyed the books, I've read all but the most recent.

They were an enjoyable winter read - but I definitely agree that Merit's and her roommates voice were off. I never saw Merit as a grad school student, she just didn't seem intellectual enough - not that that's a bad thing.

Her annoyance at not going back to Grad school in the first seemed more petty than "holy crap my entire life goal has now been scraped'.

message 50: by Rikki (new)

Rikki (queenrikki) | 3 comments I only read the first book but I didn't particularly care for Merit so I finished the first book but didn't go further (I did like the grandfather, though).

« previous 1