SSG: Spy/Spec-Ops Group discussion

Looking for new Titles > Need Help! Ran out of good spy fiction authors

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob Richardson (Reznik2009) | 7 comments Hello all!

I am having a hard time finding new authors in this genre. I keep recycling my favs. Thank goodness my memory is fading as I get older. Almost like reading them again for first time. Anyway, would love to hear some suggestions of good authors. My favs are Vince Flynn, Daniel Silva, Tom Clancy, Alex Berenson, Ted Bell, Mark Greaney, Robert Ludlum. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob.

message 2: by Greg (new)

Greg Seward | 4 comments Have you tried Dalton Fury. Awesome new developments coming from him. Check him out if you you haven't already. I've finished reading Black Site and I'm getting ready to read Tier One Wild. He has another one too out of series called Seal Team 6 which seems to be another page turner.

message 3: by Greg (new)

Greg Seward | 4 comments Also, if you can find this book "In Country" you should go after Tom Woods. He authored a great book called "The Killer". I won't give it away but I think the main character could compare to Mitch Rapp or Court Gentry.

message 4: by Tulsi (new)

Tulsi | 8 comments not exactly the same but similar - Brad Thor, Steve Martini, David Baldacci, Davis Bunn, Steve Coonts, Barry Eisler, Ian Fleming :), Vince Flynn, Ken Follett, Fredrick Forsyth, Jack Higgins, Eric Van Lustbader (pre-Robert Ludlum stuff), Steve Martini,....

message 5: by Rob (new)

Rob Richardson (Reznik2009) | 7 comments Thanks for the responses. Wasn't expecting such a quick turn around.

Greg-- I actually have read the Dalton Fury books. Very good also. Thanks for the mention.

Tulsi--thanks for the list. Several you mentioned I haven't read. Will check them out and let the group know.

Thanks again. Have a nice weekend.

Rob

message 6: by Tulsi (new)

Tulsi | 8 comments also forgot one of my favorites: Nelson deMille, especially the John Corey series

message 7: by Tulsi (new)

Tulsi | 8 comments and Bill Granger with the November Man (Deveraux) series

message 8: by Dave (new)

Dave Schultz | 25 comments BRETT BATTLES, Alex berenson, David hagberg, Andrew peterson, Marc Cameroon just to add some more

message 9: by David (new)

David Manuel Or you could step back into the past and read some of the Donald Hamilton Matt Helm series. Don't be fooled by the Dean Martin movies. The books were much better.

message 10: by Rob (new)

Rob Richardson (Reznik2009) | 7 comments David,

Love the idea of reading some of the classics but wish they were more prevalent on kindle. Have gotten used to the ease of ebooks. Any suggested authors?

Thanks,

Rob.

message 11: by Rob (new)

Rob Richardson (Reznik2009) | 7 comments Dave,

Just got Kill Zone by Hagberg. Plan on getting some reading done during Sandy.

Rob.

message 12: by Quintis (new)

Quintis (cuevee) | 1 comments Rob,

Based on your favs, you might also like Ben Coes (Dewey Andreas series) and new author Brad Taylor (Pike Logan series).

It took a while, but I also really got into The Presidential Agent series by W.E.B. Griffin.

@Tulsi mentioned it already, but Barry Eisler's John Rain series is great, too!

message 13: by David (new)

David Manuel Rob wrote: "David,

Love the idea of reading some of the classics but wish they were more prevalent on kindle. Have gotten used to the ease of ebooks. Any suggested authors?"

Well, my books are available for Kindle. ;-)

message 14: by Steve (new)

Steve Milward | 1 comments Tom Wood is a great author, loved The Hunted and now onto his short continuation story, before his latest book in the 'Victor' series

message 15: by Ryan (new)

Ryan (RHopkins) | 2 comments Check out Stephen Hunter? I have his first book on my to-read list, here's a link. It sounded very interesting to me.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

message 16: by Keith (new)

Keith | 2 comments I would second the recommendation for Ben Coes & Brad Taylor books.

message 17: by Ian (new)

Ian Heap | 5 comments I'd also recommend Stephen Hunter, and also Stephen Leather. Great Character with Bob Lee Swagger in the Stephen Hunter Books, and his dad Earl also makes a good character too.
Leather's characters are also interesting and involving. I've recently come back to Leathers work and I am getting into the Dan Shepherd series.
There is also Barry Eisler's John Rain Series, which has to be one of my top fave characters.
There is the new series of Jason Bourne books, penned by Eric Lustbader and others. Eric Lustbaders own character from his previous books are also worth a look see.

message 18: by Zoe and the Edge (new)

Zoe and the Edge I'm reading The Gray Man. It's pretty good! =)

message 19: by Dave (new)

Dave Schultz | 25 comments coes and taylor are very good. I forgot about mark greaney until I saw zoe's post very good. greaney is also writing the new Tom clancy novels.

message 20: by Rob (new)

Rob Richardson (Reznik2009) | 7 comments hello Zoe.

love the gray man. this three book series (so far) is one of my favs after mitch rapp series. each book is better than last. love that he has some serious flaws.
rob

message 21: by Dave (new)

Dave Schultz | 25 comments I just read the first 8 chapters of Vince Flynn - The Last Man and really enjoyed it so far. Now I have to wait till tuesday to get the rest.