Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ed (new)

Ed | 218 comments Mod
I saw this tonight...I liked its fast pace but having read the book I of course was disappointed by what was left out or parts I knew more about. Man, the actors have really grown up. I need to rewatch my copy of the Goblet of Fire..the last one.

message 2: by Arctic (new)

Arctic I liked the movie version of this sooo much more than the book. The book I just wanted to throw out the window the whole time I was reading it. It seemed to me she overdid Harry's angst or dwelt on it too long or something. The fast pace of the movie was perfect.

Goblet of Fire was the peak of the series if you ask me, though not really my favorite of the movies.

message 3: by Emerson (new)

Emerson | 3 comments Actress Evanna Lynch portrayed Luna Lovegood perfectly.

PERFECTLY.

I didn't even like the character in the books, but fell in love with her in this movie. That was the highlight for me, anyway.

message 4: by Beth (new)

Beth I liked it. I haven't read the book yet, but I hope to soon. I think I'm just going to start over with book one, since it's been a while. These movies are making me so sad! I have almost a maternal feeling toward these kids, and to see them growing up and doing more adult things, it makes me all choked up. And, can I just say, Alan Rickman is the BOMB!!

message 5: by Ed (new)

Ed | 218 comments Mod
I agree...I really noticed how much the actors had aged in this movie. Oh well and Alan Rickman is absolutely incredible!

Ed

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I thought the movie was pretty good..but I was really disappointed that they left a lot of stuff out. I understand why they did that though..

I cant wait for the next movie to come out!!

message 7: by Fred (new)

Fred | 4 comments The movie was good, lot of action. But the book was better by far.

message 8: by Arctic (new)

Arctic i was so glad they left things out - otherwise the movie would have been WAY too slow for me.

cheers to all you Rickman fans. :)

also meant to say - the ministry of magic was perfectly done.

message 9: by Ed (new)

Ed | 218 comments Mod
Definitely they had the timing of the movie down..they didn't try to cram everything in.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

For me the book was sooooooo long and depressing. But the movie was just right. Just the right amout of angry Harry (though my husband did point out that every time Daniel Radcliffe wants to emote he just breathes heavily). I got the movie on DVD for my birthday so I'm going to rewatch it. I've developed a total crush on Daniel Radcliffe, which is sick and wrong since I've been watching him since he was 11. ha!

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Moran (authorkellymoran) In an interview, the author said she was so rushed to get the 4th and 5th book out that she was disappointed in them. I think with this series, you need the dark and light- that's magic.
I liked em.
Kelly
home.wi.rr.com/kellymoran

message 12: by Carrie (new)

Carrie | 2 comments I agree. Luna Lovegood was my favorite character. The actress did a great job.

Overall, I did feel the movie was a little rushed, and I would have loved to have seen what Alfonso Cuaron (who did the fourth movie) would have done with the material, but still it was one of the best of the movie franchises so far (just not a fan of the first two, helmed by Chris Columbus).

I've really loved seeing the actors mature, especially the kid who plays Neville. He's great.

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I have to agree with the fact that Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix was disappointing mainly because of the missing scenes. Although it was good in terms of the action and special effects, disappointing.

message 14: by Angie (new)

Angie NO SPOILERS
How do you feel about the possibility of the movie for Deathly Hallows to be split into two movies? I think that a lot does happen and that two movies may be needed.

message 15: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 11 comments Order of the Phoenix the movie is sooooooo much better than the book. Order is the only HP book that i could not wait to finish - for the wrong reasons! And the only HP book i have never been inclined to re-read. But the movie was just right. And Rickman just keeps getting hotter and hotter...sigh!

Hallows is almost an epic, not much can be left out of the movie version without significantly screwing up the plot. I really hope the movie does justice to the many facets of the book. But how will i ever have the patience to wait for two installments???

message 16: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I liked the book but it is my least favorite of the series. I think Harry just got on my nerves so bad in the book. I know he's a teenager and he's supposed to be all angsty blah blah blah. I wanted to smack him and tell him to get over himself and quit being such an ass. He wasn't nearly as big a pain in the movie so that made me happy.

message 17: by Prabha (new)

Prabha | 11 comments That's funny Cindy! You've summed up my feelings on Harry in the book really well! Unfortunately, he did not quite redeem himself in the last two books either... I think Radcliffe does a better job at being a likeable Harry than Harry does in the book!

message 18: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cookiejarprincess) I agree completely Prabha. His attitude did continue to bother me in the last two books but he did tone it down a notch or two from OOTP. Luckily I love all of the other characters so they were able to get me through with just an eye roll every time Harry shouted, "He killed my parents!" I mean, we know mate, we read that back in book one.

message 19: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Ladd (ashleyladd) | 13 comments It was okay. Again, I was entertained for the duration, but it's not one of my favorite Harry Potter episodes. Then of course, I loved the first and second and my kids prefer all the ones after that.

message 20: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (mother_of_dinosaurs) They always leave a lot of stuff out of the movies. The books are so thick and filled with so much stuff they can't fit into a movie. I think it's best to read the book first and then see the movie. This movie was ok. But I enjoyed the first two movies the best so far. My husband didn't like this one at all. I told him they will only get darker from here.

message 21: by Jillian (new)

Jillian (mother_of_dinosaurs) SPOILER

In the Deathly Hollows they are mostly running around and hiding. That takes up a good chunk of the book. So I don't see how it would need to be made into two films. They would just need to show the progress of time in the movie to show that they've been in hiding for a great deal of time.

message 22: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) | 169 comments I really did not like this movie. I didn't like the director's vision at all. I loved this book (well, not Harry's angst, he was really pissing me off) and David Yates completely ruined it. What was up with that sissy ass way Sirius kicked it? I knew they'd take out parts but this was boring to me. The best was was the Voldemort/Dumbledore duel.

message 23: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5281 comments I thought ORDER OF THE PHOENIX was one of the better Potter films, light years ahead of that ghastly boring GOBLET OF FIRE thing.

Not as good as PRISONER OF AZKABAN, which is easily the high point of the films so far, but at least PHOENIX keeps the storytelling lively.

I wish they'd make Voldemort a little more of a threat, though. He comes off as a total wimp; I never believe that this prissy little thing has the entire world so afraid that they won't even say his name aloud.

message 24: by Jessie Pimentel (new)

Jessie Pimentel | 6 comments To Angie:
I am actually hoping that two movies are made or a long one. i think that because it is the last one it should have all of the events that occured in the book.

message 25: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) | 169 comments They'll probably add a lot of scenes there weren't there to make it more "exciting" for non Harry Potter readers.

message 26: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 53 comments Tom, I think that they can't make Voldemort a real threat till the The Half Blood Prince, because through out OOP nearly all the Wizarding world is in denial about his return and don't want to believe he is back.

I enjoyed the film and Sirius died the way he did in the book - he's hit with Bellatrix spell and falls through the veil.

message 27: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5281 comments Hayley, I see the point, but the entire Wizarding isn't in denial about how horrible Voldemort is, that he is embodiment of Absolute Evil, so that when he does in fact appear onscreen/onpage, I as a viewer/reader had better be scared senseless of him. As portrayed by Fiennes in GOBLET OF BOREDOM Voldemort came off as a prancing dancerboy in a Martha Graham shroud and bad teeth, never once making me see why anybody was even remotely concerned about him.

message 28: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 53 comments Tom I know that but when your in denial about something you can't appear to be scared - how can you be scared of something you still think is died or gone - I do agree that Fiennes is a boring Voldemort - I once heard that Rowan Atkinson was to get the part - now that would have been interesting because your so use to seeing him as Mr Bean.
I think Voldemorts part needs to be better explored in the next film - he's out in the open now and he's killing at will and at random.

message 29: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5281 comments Hayley. The issue is not that the people in the film aren't afraid of Voldemort. Denial has nothing to do with what I'm saying. Clearly they are all afraid of Voldemort, they're so spooked that they don't even say his name, and can't even bring themselves to acknowledge his possible return.

The issue is that I MYSELF was not afraid of Voldemort. There's more danger in any one of the Nazgul in Peter Jackson's LORD OF THE RINGS films than in the Voldemort they've decided to show me in the films. Margaret Hamilton's Wicked Witch of the West would stuff a mattress with him. Darth Vader would pinch his fingers together and say "I find your lack of nose disturbing." Hannibal Lecter would polish him off as a between meal snack.

message 30: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 53 comments I suppose your right, he didn't really scare me either - I expect him to be more malevonent(sp) and your right about other movie/book villians being able to beat him hands down - though a flick of the wand and the death curse utters and they would be dead.

message 31: by Angie (new)

Angie I think you are right Tom... I get it because I have read the books... but for people who have not read the books I can see how you are right about the movies not doing Voldermort justice. He needs to be a little bit more evil. I still enjoyed the movie.

Jessie: I am pretty sure it is a go on the two movie thing.

And for everyone: incase you haven't heard there is a rumor that there will be a teaser trailer for the next Harry Potter film showing with the Dark Knight! I hope it's true!

message 32: by Sherry (new)

Sherry I must say Tom you do have a way with words!I've spent an entertaining moment or two envisioning some of your scenarios with Voldemort the hapless victim!Thanks for the chuckle.

message 33: by Faith (new)

Faith Quick (faithbquick) | 81 comments i agree that the corporal voldemort has not been scary yet. but in the first movie when he was trying to get the stone from harry and when he rushed at harry from drinking the unicorns blood i found him scary and disturbing. the scene in the goblet of fire when he rose from the cauldron and tried to kill harry disturbed me.

but he really didn't scare me in the books either until, well i don't want to spoil it but lets just say until dumbledore wasn't able to protect harry anymore. then i could see why they feared voldemort because soon after that voldemort got his followers around him and they began to get into powerful positions. then i could see the fear it caused in the wizardig world.

i don't think voldemort in and of himself is very scary it's when he gets power behind him and starts to terrorize the witches and wizards that he becomes a fear to be reckoned with.

and i have to say i never really feared darth vader either. don't take this the wrong way! i am a HUGE star wars fan and love the movies but vader didn't really scare me until anakin killed the younglings, it was the only time i saw the hate and anger and evil in darth vader. that was one of the only times i felt he was truelly evil.

now the the nazgul and hannibal! freak me out creepy.

message 34: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) | 169 comments I personally wasn't afraid of Voldemort period but I do love Ralph Fiennes' portrayal of him.

It's not that he's scary; Its the fact that he's powerful and he knows how to project that power. And you have to think about it: Voldemort does not look like a human anymore, which adds to the terror he put the wizarding world through. A person does not have to be scary looking in order to be feared so even if he looked like he did as a kid, it wouldn't matter because he's a force to be reckoned with.

message 35: by Euni (new)

Euni | 15 comments Thank you, Ranata. I couldn't have said it better myself. What could be more scarier than someone who looks kind of "normal" but can make the most powerful wizard/witch look like an apprentice?

The fact that Voldemort looks snakelike, just plays on the fear that people have of snakes. I don't fear snakes, but if they'd made him look like a spider, I would be screaming my head off.

message 36: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5281 comments Ranata,

It isn't a matter of looks at all. I felt no particular power, no particular much of anything at all during Voldemort's scenes, except a sense of disappointment. The entire magical world is afraid of this little thing?

At the risk of repeating myself, I never saw why they are so afraid of this twit with the shaved head, no nose and bad clothes. I was much more disturbed by Anthony Hopkins' Hannibal Lecter telling the senator that he loved her suit.

message 37: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) | 169 comments Voldemort isn't gonna be the same in person as he will be in the books. In the books he didn't look like that at all. He's kinda like the mob boss that doesn't look menacing but he will cut your head off, lol.

message 38: by April (new)

April (escapegal) | 41 comments How 'bout if he had a clown face? Scared yet?

message 39: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) | 169 comments I'd be terrified, LOL. I hate clowns. They are all evil and movies like "It" prove this fact!

message 40: by Angie (new)

Angie I thought the book does say that Voldermort looks snake like? I am pretty sure that is how he is described.

message 41: by Hayley (new)

Hayley | 53 comments Angie your right, in the book Voldermort is described as looking like a snake, which is how they protrayed him the film.

In all fairness children do probably find Voldemort scary because they have yet to run into characters like Hannibal Lecter and so on. When you see films like that Voldermort is not going to seem scary at all.

message 42: by R♥ A♥ I♥ N♥ B♥ O♥ W♥ Z! (last edited Jul 08, 2008 10:26AM) (new)

R♥ A♥ I♥ N♥ B♥ O♥ W♥ Z! (rainbowdorks) | 18 comments I liked the movie a bit much more than the book! I loved the book its just thats it wasn't that ACTION-Y like the movie was... i dont know how 5to describe it.

message 43: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) | 169 comments Books are never going to be as vivid as a movie, even in your imagination but I really can't agree with you about the movie being better than the book, Cupcake. The whole scene in the Dept of Mysteries was so action filled. They only touched on it in the movie but there was so much more that happened to the kids. I guess I just like books more than movies cuz the book was enjoyable but not this movie and I've just seen it again.

message 44: by Cassidy (new)

Cassidy Savage (savagegy6) I read yesterday that the next movie is being pushed to June 09 so the actors have the school year off.
Why would they decide that so close to release date? They're already advertising and the Fall Preview is out...so annoying.
I agree Ranata, there has to be so much left out in the movies and it seems so vital to me.

message 45: by Angie (new)

Angie Actually that is not the reason it's more stupid than that... WB put out a statement that they are feeling the effects of the writers strike and have no movies to really release next summer. I can't believe that they would push it back a whole year from now.

message 46: by Ranata (new)

Ranata Clark (thatchicknata) | 169 comments I read somewhere that Twilight took it's spot.