The Diamond Secret:  A Retelling of Anastasia The Diamond Secret discussion

Not happy with this cover!

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Allison I hate it when series change the set design part of the way through the series. But I cannot imagine why they went for such a drastic change-- the cover looks like a cross a Danielle Steel book and the newest installment of The Luxe series.

I'm not entirely sure why the change occurred, perhaps to draw a new, (larger) audience? But I'm still a bit puzzled as to why they decided to change the overall logo/title graphics.

Anybody else disappointed?

Cassie That cover doesn't look like anything to me at all, except maybe a modern girl getting dressed up for prom.

Of course, the reason they made that change is that they *want* to appeal to fans of Luxe, Gossip Girls, Private, etc, which are the money making books right now, if you don't have a vampire available.

Allison Agreed. Although it screams a lot of things to me, Princess Anastasia definitely isn't one of them.

Cassie oh is that what the story is going to be about? Notice the new cover doesn't say "a retelling of..." any more.

Allison Yeah.....the past few books have been a real letdown.
I'll probably pick this one up at the library, but I won't buy it when it comes out, like I have the rest of the books.

I'm not sure if the series is taking a new turn, or if they decided to omit the "retelling of" because it isn't actually a retelling of a famous fairytale/myth/legend. The next one is supposed to be based on The Snow Queen, though, so I'm hoping they're not messing with things too much!

Cassie Well, at least this one is by Weyn, and I've always found her books to be some of the best in the series. So as long as it keeps the cheapish price, I'll probably pick it up.

Oh, Snow Queen? That sounds interesting. Yeah, they are running out of "famous" fairy tales.

message 7: by Ilze (new)

Ilze I have to agree that the cover sometimes is off-putting. I love reading Lynda La Plante, but just can't get myself to take Seekers out of the library because the cover makes it look like some lame effort in Mills and Boone!

Cassie Covers do make a big difference in our buying habits. Usually we'll still buy a book in a series we know is good, but it can really stop us from trying out a new book.

message 9: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca I don't like this cover at all! If they were going to change the style at least put the girl in an appropriate outfit for the setting! There's one other new cover available for the older books, Golden by Cameron Dokey (it's on Amazon) and it's much nicer than this one because the dress looks correct for the character!

message 10: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate I'm kind of weird about books that I buy. If I buy a series, then I like all of them to match. And I'm going to miss the illustrations on the older covers. They made it seem more like a fantasy novel, not a prom novel.

Danielle Rebecca wrote: "I don't like this cover at all! If they were going to change the style at least put the girl in an appropriate outfit for the setting! There's one other new cover available for the older books, Gol..."

Actually the outfit is approprite for the character on the cover first because it it is taken from a scene in the book and second the outfit matches the popular style for the time the story takes place. In the 1920s the popular style was flapper which is most noticable in the girl's short hair cut, headband, and feather.

Danielle Kate wrote: "I'm kind of weird about books that I buy. If I buy a series, then I like all of them to match. And I'm going to miss the illustrations on the older covers. They made it seem more like a fantasy n..."

I have the same tendency except I didn't discover this seris until afer they started making the new covers so I'm just going to buy the ones with new covers so they all match. But do like the old covers too so it was a bit torn decsion.

message 13: by Mara (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mara I liked their older covers better - they actually catch my attention more than these new-fangled ones. But the new version are growing on me (except this particular cover).

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I like the cover of this one, but I agree with Mara- the older covers are much nicer, aren't they? Much more artistic. This book is my favourite in the series.

Eliza Danielle, it is the dress from a scene in the book. I enjoy having the visual from the cover.

But. . . I wish the outfit itself (even in the story) had been more period-appropriate. Not to say I didn't like the book itself; I've always liked the Anastasia stories. They always seemed so mysterious and a bit spooky. It's always fun reading about the theories of how and if she survived. Hey, and this might even be considered one of them.

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) Cassie wrote: "That cover doesn't look like anything to me at all, except maybe a modern girl getting dressed up for prom.

Of course, the reason they made that change is that they *want* to appeal to fans of Lux..."

Amen to that :)

Lyd's Archive (7/'15 to 6/'18) As a child, yes, but not after around the age of eight or nine or so

Samantha I am okay with the cover. Also never judge a book by its cover!