ROBUST discussion

Apple Announces not one, but FIVE new "Products'

Comments (showing 1-21 of 21) (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Tillotson (storytellerauthor) | 1802 comments So, Apple announces a mini-version of iPad, one of the reasons I chose my Android.

At the same time, they announce a 'new' new iPad 4 (improved retina display).

Then there is the 'new' 13″ MacBook Pro with Retina Display, 'all new' super slim iMacs, 'new' Mac Minis and of course 'new' Fusion Drive technology, which has already been proven in the PC world.

Lost a bit in the shuffle are upgrades to iBooks and a revamp of iBooks Author.

Yawn...

message 2: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PatriciaSierra) | 2388 comments I saw some online outrage because people thought they bought the latest technology a minute ago but now find out their Apple products are "obsolete."

message 3: by Matt (new)

Matt Posner (MattPosner) | 276 comments I have an iPad 1 and a second generation iPad touch. All incredibly obsolete. A lot of apps don't even work on iPad 1!! But I am going to grit it out because I can't afford to pay for new devices all the time. Apple keeps preying on people's desire for the latest. Those who complain should realize that it is happening because they keep paying.

message 4: by Amos (new)

Amos Fairchild (AmosTFairchild) | 305 comments I'm not a follower of that religion. lol.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Tillotson (storytellerauthor) | 1802 comments Me, either...

Apple's stock is down this morning. Duh! Not that I wish failure on them, quite the opposite, their billions in profits are good for the recovery of the US economy and I am all for that. After the recovery, though, they are fair game...

message 6: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Jordan (KAJordan) | 3042 comments They had a loss, not a profit...as did Amazon. For some reason, people don't worry about Amazon as much.

message 7: by Andre Jute (new)

Andre Jute (AndreJute) | 4851 comments Mod
Matt wrote: "Apple keeps preying on people's desire for the latest. Those who complain should realize that it is happening because they keep paying."

There's definitely a fashion-victim market out there that has made Apple its favoured son.

But it is easy to beat the marketers.

Apple does make the best computers, tablets, phones, etc. You can easily establish that by checking that current PCs, Android tablets and phones, etc, are incompetent copies of Apple originals.

But that is function. The rest is fashion.

The way to beat the pressure for the latest gadget is to buy only by function. My policy for the three decades plus in which I have used Apple gear has been

-- to buy it only when it already does what I want it to do; they can stuff their promises where the monkey etc

-- to buy only gear that does what I want it to, with fully mature software (they want me to be a beta tester, they can make me a financial offer); this generally means buying the best, top of the range gear, because my requirements, especially in graphics, are high

-- to buy it only on the day Apple declares it obsolete, so that the price of old stock is discounted, so that the fashion victims in effect pay for part of my gear

-- to keep it for as long as it does what I want; it is sturdy gear that hardly ever breaks

I'll give you a dramatic example. Apple made a tower box called the 840AV which in its time was the very best multimedia computer short of a dedicated machine. But it was overpriced. I bought two of the dedicated machines made by someone else to make music videos; they cost a fortune in service and replacement components. When the 840AV line was killed by Apple, I called around and bought several, the last couple for a premium because I wasn't the only smart guy in that business. My personal 840AV served me twelve years -- starting from when Apple trashed it. In the end it cost me pennies a day. In the end most of the people who saw it in my office didn't even know what it was, that the 840AV was a Mac; they had come into Macs after it was declared obsolete...

I didn't buy an iPad 1, and the iPad 2, for which i didn't pay, sat on my side table for months because it didn't do what I wanted it to do, so I didn't waste any time on it. My iPad 3 was a gift, and I use it every day because it is in fact useful, but that doesn't mean I will upgrade just because a thinner model is available. I'll run the iPad 3 into the ground, and consider whether I need any new facilities when the battery needs replacing in several years.

A consideration is that my iPad has a custom fitted leather portfolio and leather-cased Bluetooth keyboard that I haven't even got around to using yet, and a Griffin Survivor case, and an expensive guarantee that has a couple of years to run. Why waste all this by buying an iPad that won't fit?

I bought the last iMac that was made under Steve Jobs' management, because its operating system was a genuine innovation. I don't expect the Cook management to do anything for several years except fiddle at the margins. That may be Apple's future (the financial markets seem to think so -- they're probably remembering the dull Sculley years of Apple), so what I'm doing may be to lay in the last of the good Apple.

message 8: by Andre Jute (new)

About the iPad Mini specifically:

I can see how the iPad Mini will appeal to people who want an iPad in a handier format for slipping into a pocket or a handbag or a briefcase. It is also a way for Apple to introduce a "cheap" iPad without undercutting the market for the expensive iPad 3 or even the "budget option" iPad 2.

However, check the resolution of the screen: iPad 2 offers 132 pixels per inch (pip), iPad Mini 163 ppi, iPad 3 (aka "New iPad" or "Retina iPad) a whopping 264ppi. Now you know how Apple managed to make the price point on the iPad Mini.

Who wants to bet that pretty soon there will be a deluxe Mini Plus with the same or better screen resolution as the grownups' Retina Display iPad? At a premium price, of course.

I came into iPad, in the sense of using it daily, only with the fully mature software and the retina screen of the iPad 3. I like all that acreage, very useful real estate for working in my bath and on my exercise machines. I could, theoretically, use a Mini for reading out and about, but in any event the folio in which I carry my sketchpad holds an A5 pad, so the fullsize iPad 3 in its Griffin Survivor case is just the same size and fits conveniently (with even a Bluetooth keyboard if I should want it) into the favourite Italian leather bag that stands nearest the door of my study already holding sketch folio, camera and wallet.

The Mini is surplus to the requirements of a writer, an editor, a graphic designer, an artist, a retrograde step to fill a hitherto unexploited marketing niche. If the iPad3 is a creator's iPad, the iPad Mini is a consumer's iPad, the Valley Girl's iPad.

The financial markets marking Apple down for lack of innovation in these new releases got it wrong. You'll see. The iPad Mini will outsell both the other iPads combined.

message 9: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) One thing that's interesting to me is that Steve Jobs hated the idea of an iPad at this size, so this is also an interesting test of the new leadership's ability to strike out on their own and escape the shadow the man whose influence, after all, is responsible for saving Apple from fading away into irrelevance.

message 10: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) That doesn't mean he was always right or whatever, but, in general, Apple is the company it is today because it brought Jobs back and let him run the show. So it's interesting to see Cook and company willing to go against his vision so quickly.

message 11: by Sharon (last edited Oct 28, 2012 08:05AM) (new)

Sharon Tillotson (storytellerauthor) | 1802 comments My tablet is the size of the new mini, and one of the reasons I chose it over iPad. I love the size, it is just right for me. Then again, I am blessed with very good eyesight, have never needed reading glasses. It also has the best hard and useful keyboard which also acts as the cover and an addtional battery. It works perfectly for my intended use. I suspect the mini will outsell the others and don't kid yourself, the reason it was brought out was Apple recognized the convenience of its size for the average future user.

Many people in the tech industry would beg to differ with Andre's view of the quality of Apple products. For sure their computers were thought to be superior, and probably were. I can't speak to that, I've never owned own, and I am certainly no fan of Microsoft's operating systems. I do, however, personally know at least two people who have bought 'lemons' in the past, not once, but twice both times, and still they prefer their Apples.

Lately there has been a lot of talk in the industry that Android will be the opsys in the future. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen...

message 12: by J.A. (new)

J.A. Beard (jabeard) Android and iOS (especially the way Apple controls it) are two different paradigms about how people should approach their devices and software.

This even goes back to the old PC vs. Apple split.

It's a matter of openness and greater third-party product support=cheaper product vs., on average, higher quality and more reliability, but more expensive on the Apple end.

The latter is, in many people's consideration, worth the premium.

I don't think either is particularly right or wrong, just different.

I hope that both paradigms continue to be well represented. That way people can find the best tool for their particular needs. Things generally work out best when you have strong representatives of competing ideas to stir the pot a bit in the tech world.

In my house, we have two laptops, both non-Apple. We have an iPad. My wife has an iPhone. I do not.

You're right though. No one knows what the future will bring. Just look at the rise and fall of Research in Motion and Palm.

message 13: by Andre Jute (new)

Sharon wrote: "Lately there has been a lot of talk in the industry that Android will be the opsys in the future. Whether that happens or not remains to be seen..."

Apple just got a billion dollar award to reaffirm the exclusivity of their operating system. Without it, they don't really have anything; anyone can make nice hardware, but ownership of the best OS justifies a premium price.

So, clearly, an open OS isn't in Apple's future...

Thus, if Android is to replace anything, it will be Microsoft's OS, which has an absolutely ginormous installed base. I won't be betting on anything replacing Microsoft's OS except ever more top-heavy versions of itself, and certainly not Android.

The problem is that, just behind the cute Apple-sourced face of Android, it is even clumsier crap than Windows, and far, far less capable. What it has going for it is that it is open. How attractive that will be when they have to redesign it without the GUI they stole from Apple is an open question.

I shan't be holding my breath. But I certainly hope that Samsung and the rest aren't forced to remove the stolen elements retroactively, or my Android Smartphone will become quite useless, rather than merely mostly useless for serious work while remaining perfectly pleasing for reading on for a short drive.

That's a good point about eyesight, Sharon. Spectacle wearers love the retina screen of the iPad 3.

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Tillotson (storytellerauthor) | 1802 comments We agreed long ago to agree to disagree about Apple, Andre. But it's always nice to debate with you. Time will tell on all of it...

Meantime, last night I wondered if I was ever going to debate anything with any intelligence ever again. As I was brushing my teeth in preparation for bed, I felt the world shift and I had to hold onto the cabinet for support. When I turned the sheets down I felt it again, and then as I fell into bed, it felt as if the room was spinning. I concentrated on a photo collage I have on the wall and it seemed to be moving. Soon it stoppped, but it disturbed me. All sorts of scenarios went through my mind. My bro had an episode last week of fainting, was taken to hospital in an ambulance; they think it is probably an inner ear thing. I thought it beyond passing strange that that could be what I was experiencing.

We had just watched a Canadian art film called 'Barney's Version' in which the protag gets dementia at the end. Of course that also ran through my mind, kench! I even wondered if I had inadvertently drunk more than my usual 6 oz or so of hearty red wine. If that had been the case, it might have been an issue.

I woke up this morning to news of a 7.7 mag earthquake north of us, and reports of after-shocks in my 'hood' and tsunami warnings across the Pacific.

Kench!!

message 15: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Tillotson (storytellerauthor) | 1802 comments J.A. wrote: "...You're right though. No one knows what the future will bring. Just look at the rise and fall of Research in Motion and Palm..."

Not to mention, Rise, Fall, Rise of Apple...

Great points, Jeremy, it would be good if we had competing choices. I have an iPhone and I'm going to buy the 5 in the near future. It's exactly what I want in a mini device - which is where Jobs' brilliance shone...

message 16: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PatriciaSierra) | 2388 comments Sharon, when I saw the headline about the earthquake, I immediately thought of you -- hoping all is well.

I've had the inner ear thing and it is terrible. I could be lying flat on the floor and believe the floor was tilting and I was going to fall off. It happened to me only once, which was quite enough. Lasted a few days. My mom also went through a bout of it. Awful stuff.

message 17: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Tillotson (storytellerauthor) | 1802 comments Thanks for thinking of me, Patricia. The quake was centered on an island off the coast north of us. Pretty remote place with very small population, thank God no one was hurt. Probably helped that it was dark when it happened, so likely not too many fishing boats out.

My bro had an echo done on Friday. He's feeling fine now, they gave him some meds, not sure what.

'Twas a very nice day here today, sandwiched in between mega rainfalls. Was glad a friend bailed on me, I walked for hours and I know 40 mins would have been enough for her. I just went where my feet took me and trod up a path I'd never travelled before. The trees and other flora were spectacular, some autumn, some not. A short way up, was surprised to find a gaping hole big enough for a foundation for yet another high-rise. From the looks of the fence and weeds, it's been there awhile.

I just about took a detour on a water taxi across a small body of water to pick up my fave bean soup and mini loaf of bread. Decided I better check to see if it was on the menu today. Pulled out my iPhone. After a long enough time to miss one boat, discovered it was not, so dodged that bullet. Minutes later I took a pic from the phone (which also took ages, good thing the sky landscape stayed the way that inspired the photo) and was closing it when I noticed my Safari browser app had disappeared! Couldn't find it again, almost chucked the dang thing into the drink before I caught myself and broke into laughter at the irony of posting here shortly before. My iphone is the slowest mobile phone I've owned in the past 10 years or so. I hope the hype is true that has been fixed. (it is not my service provider, I have several friends with the same provider who do not have that problem with their Androids or even their years-old phones!)

message 18: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PatriciaSierra) | 2388 comments I have one phone, a cell phone from ATT, and often cannot make calls on it. There's something about my house that doesn't like phones. Land lines don't work right here (I've had the wiring changed twice) and the walls seem to block cell signals despite my being near a tower (about two miles). It's okay, though, because I don't like talking on the phone. I've disabled voice mail and I block certain numbers until I feel like talking to the owners of the blocked numbers. They get a message that "this ATT customer is not accepting calls at this time."

message 19: by Andre Jute (new)

Did you take a genuine turn, Sharon, or mistake the earthquake for a medical event? Horrid either way...

message 20: by Patricia (new)

Patricia (PatriciaSierra) | 2388 comments I figured she meant it was the quake. I lived through one once. Quite an unexpected event in my area. Just a slight one at that -- but even so, I saw my walls undulating. Very weird.

message 21: by Sharon (last edited Oct 28, 2012 08:38PM) (new)

Sharon Tillotson (storytellerauthor) | 1802 comments Thanks for the concern, Andre. Yep, it was definitely aftershock from the earthquake. I checked and the timing was bang on. Gave me a bit of a scare, though.

I have felt aftershock from an earthquake before. I was once sitting in my chair and the chair jerked a bit, once, then a couple times again a few seconds later. That quake was easy to determine, though a greater distance away. Weird is definitely the operative word...