Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > "Blocked" Member Can Send Me Email?

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 737 comments Several weeks ago I blocked a member who was reported to be sending spam/phishing messages. I think it was in this thread: Unsolicited messages. At one point there was a post that included a link to the spamming member.

On 18 October, I got a similar email from that same spamming/phishing member from the same blocked profile that had been reported weeks earlier. GR staff responded from Contact Us that the user has been removed now.

BUT, does everyone else think it makes sense that "BLOCK" just HIDES a user from me rather than BLOCKING the user from sending me emails?

The function should be called "Hide Member" since all it does is prevent me from seeing the user's posts, profile, shelves, etc.

What you can't see, won't hurt you????????
Just close your eyes and don't worry????????

message 2: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Oct 25, 2012 10:38AM) (new)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (Karma_Bites) | 658 comments I agree with the OP. Frankly, it would be nice if "blocking" a member could have 2 options:
1) complete block (see no posts, permit no PMs/emails/notifications)
2) partial block (can see posts but no contact)

#2 could be very helpful when in the same group. I have nothing against certain members. I just don't want to be spammed for NON-GROUP events from members with whom I've had no personal interaction and have nothing in common except for a group with 2,000+ members. Some seem to use the group's membership as a mailing list for personal blogs. Which is NOT what I sign up for when I join a particular group.

In addition to email, I'm curious as to how/why blocked members would show up in my "notifications"—they can't PM or email me but they show up there? Annoying because recent slew of them displaced notice of threads I truly want to see/follow!

message 3: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Blocked members should not be able to send you messages or comment on any of your content. PJreads, if you still have any of the message notification emails, would you mind sending them to support to look into?

message 4: by Petra X (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments Kara wrote: "Blocked members should not be able to send you messages or comment on any of your content. PJreads, if you still have any of the message ..."

They can still comment on reviews. "Troll" rather than comment. But it wouldn't make any difference if they couldn't as they simply make another GR account and continue on.

I wrote to you weeks ago about a persistent 'religious' troll (or more than one?) with links and didn't take down most of the comments but I heard nothing back from you Kara.

message 5: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 737 comments BunWat wrote: "I have blocked people, and after I do so they can longer view my profile or send me messages or comment on my reviews. I know, because some of them have said that they can tell they are blocked be..."

How do these blocked people contact you to tell you that they can see they are blocked?

message 6: by Kara (last edited Oct 25, 2012 03:20PM) (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Petra X wrote: "Kara wrote: "Blocked members should not be able to send you messages or comment on any of your content. PJreads, if you still have any of the message ..."

They can still comment on reviews. "Tr..."

Petra, I responded to you on October 17 - did you not receive the email? I can resend it right now, if that would help.

I was under the impression that blocked members should not be able to comment, but let me double-check with engineers about the code.

Update: Just forwarded the case to you.

message 7: by scherzo♫ (last edited Oct 25, 2012 03:30PM) (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 737 comments Kara wrote: "Blocked members should not be able to send you messages or comment on any of your content. PJreads, if you still have any of the message notification emails, would you mind sending them to suppor..."

I did not receive a notification on GR or a message in my GR inbox. I received an email at my Hotmail address. I do not have the email any longer.

This is the copy (XXXXX for user info) that I sent to GR at Contact Us:
pjreads ♫,

You have received a new message on Goodreads!

XXXXXX said,

Hello

My Name is XXXXX XXXXX
I am a female, i saw your profile I became so much interested to established a relationship with you, Please kindly contact me on my email address at (XXXXX@yahoo.in) for more introduction and my picture.
Regards

XXXXX

XXXXX@yahoo.in

Please click below to reply:

http://www.goodreads.com/message/show...

Enjoy!

— the Goodreads team

The member number was 13691671.
Should not be a privacy issue to include the number since the user has been removed.

ETA: The numbers in the "Please click below to reply" link are
38640126?al=MjU4NzM5Ng%3D%3D-85f6b3118da05047aeb27f62045d91ec1ecac8ad&utm_medium=email&utm_source=message

message 8: by Petra X (last edited Oct 25, 2012 09:15PM) (new)

Petra X (PetraX) | 5937 comments Kara wrote: " I responded to you on October 17 - did you not receive the email? I can resend it right now, if that would help ..."

Ok, got the one you resent. Thanks very much. I don't know what to say, blocking does not good the trolls pop up with their nasty personal remarks or religious ones all the time. There you go. Thanks again for the reply.

message 9: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) | 8935 comments Oh, I end up flagging a lot of these phishing emails. I haven't blocked anyone because I don't think I've ever gotten more than one of them per "member" because it does seem as though their accounts get deleted.

Weird and too bad about the email glitches, Petra.

message 10: by Carina (new)

Carina | 244 comments Not entirely to do with blocked people sending e-mails but I was wondering if you block someone and they post on a thread you are 'subscribed' to will thier post generate the notification that is sent or would theirs be ignored until another poster posts?

message 11: by scherzo♫ (new)

scherzo♫ (pjreads) | 737 comments Thanks BunWat. I'm glad to know that blocking is supposed to act as I originally assumed it would.

I still wonder why GR did not remove the user when the first spamming was reported.

message 12: by MrsJoseph (new)

MrsJoseph | 3371 comments Carina wrote: "Not entirely to do with blocked people sending e-mails but I was wondering if you block someone and they post on a thread you are 'subscribed' to will thier post generate the notification that is s..."

Blocked members who comment on threads do stimulate an email notification.