The Next Best Book Club discussion

Personal Reading Goals > Jessica's 2009 Reading Goals

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Mar 12, 2009 01:08PM) (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments I need to read at least 58 books this year to surpass my total from 2008. My list thus far:

1. The Other Boleyn Girl
2. The Wednesday Sisters
3. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
4. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
5. The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society
6. Coraline
7. Love in the Time of Cholera

Currently reading: The Audacity of Hope by Barack Obama

message 2: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 253 comments Jessica, What has been your favorite so far? I think all of them are on my TBR list!

message 3: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Cindy, considering HP was a reread (and always a favorite!) I think my favorite so far was Guernsey. Least favorite was Love in the Time of Cholera.

message 4: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) What did you think of Coraline?
I saw the previews for the movie and it looks so cute!

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 8. The Audacity of Hope

message 6: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Becky, I enjoyed Coraline. I read it in a few hours. It has been awhile since I read a true YA book and it was nice to get back into the genre.

message 7: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 9. The Book of Lies

message 8: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments Becky wrote: "What did you think of Coraline?
I saw the previews for the movie and it looks so cute! "

I went to see the movie yesterday with my mother and four-year-old nephew...in 3D! We all enjoyed it, though my nephew's still up in the air about how he feels about 3D. The movie is very cute, and the visuals are incredible. You need to see it on the big screen if for no other reason than the visuals. Besides, 3D doesn't translate well to the small screen.

The story is creepy. I'm not going to lie. But Gaiman said, and I think this is true (definitely true when it came to my nephew), that adults are a lot more disturbed by the story than children. Kids see it as an adventure in which a little girl fights an evil witch, adults view it through the fear of losing a kid. Also, the book has Dave McKean's drawings. The movie didn't use McKean's design for the characters, so it's far less creepy looking. But McKean's of the the old school that believes that bad guys and evil places should look the part.

message 9: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 10. Ball of Fire

message 10: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 11. The Given Day

message 11: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Jill wrote: "Becky wrote: "What did you think of Coraline?
I saw the previews for the movie and it looks so cute! "

I went to see the movie yesterday with my mother and four-year-old nephew...in 3D! We all en..."

That sounds like a really interesting book which needs to get bumped up on the TBR.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments April, Coraline is a very quick read too so definitely bump it up!

message 13: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 12. Water for Elephants

message 14: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 13. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

message 15: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 14. Angela's Ashes

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 15. The Almost Moon

message 17: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Jessica wrote: "13. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban"

reading that one now..

message 18: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Jessica wrote: "14. Angela's Ashes"

and read that one before:-)
you liked it?

message 19: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Jeane, I have read Angela's Ashes three times now. So yes, I enjoy it. :)

message 20: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments wow, you must really enjoy it!!!! I liked it because it told me things about Ireland in the past and there were palces in Dublin where i pass now...also the story went fast and was sometimes funny. But I am not crazy about it.

message 21: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments The first time I read it was when I was in 7th or 8th grade. Then we had a book report type project in 9th grade with a list of potential books to read and Angela's Ashes was on it so I read it again. So now, 8 years later, when it was a group read I decided to go through it again.

message 22: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments :-)

message 23: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 16. My Dearest Friend: Letters of Abigail and John Adams

message 24: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 17. Eight Little Faces

message 25: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 18. Boy Still Missing

message 26: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 19. Remember Me?

message 27: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 20. Lock and Key

message 28: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 21. I Capture the Castle

message 29: by Diane (new)

Diane (BabyDi) | 3 comments I read and loved the Other Boleyn Girl. I think you will like it Jess. You might want to check out The Boleyn Inheritance and The Constant Princess both by the same author as above. The first one is about Anne Cleaves/Katherine Howard and the other is about Katherine of Aragon. Although, the Other Boleyn Girl is my favorite by far! :)

message 30: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Diane, I read The Other Boleyn Girl in January and really enjoyed it. Perhaps I will get to them someday (I think my brother's girlfriend has them so I can borrow them from her.)

BTW, glad to see you here and I love your pic! I LOL'd!

message 31: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 22. Certain Girls

message 32: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 23. Twilight

message 33: by Diane (new)

Diane (BabyDi) | 3 comments how did you feel about twilight?

message 34: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments It was ok. I really don't understand the hype around it (HP is easily 100 times better!) but it interested me enough that I'm going to keep going with the series.

message 35: by Diane (new)

Diane (BabyDi) | 3 comments It's definately written for a 14 year old girl (no offense to anyone). New Moon is my favorite of the series but that's also because I am not an Edward fan and he isn't in the 2nd book too much. But I agree HP is wayyy better!

message 36: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 3934 comments Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets and the Prisoner of Azkaban - On my TBR

Angela's Ashes - On my TBR

Twilight - With all the hype around the book and so many people loving it, I thought I might have been disappointed but I certainly wasn't!! I read it as quick as I could often sneaking in pages here and there. I cannot wait to see the film and read the next 1s in the series.

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 24. New Moon

message 38: by Carol (new)

Carol (caroldias) Go Twilight Saga! Hope you are gaving a good time with it

message 39: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 3934 comments New Moon - The sequel to Twilight was totally amazing and am looking forward to reading Eclipse. I understand what Twilight fans mean by Team Jacob or Edward...defo Team Edward but Jacob is soooo lovely! I read this really quickly and will no doubt be starting Eclipse very soon!

message 40: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 25. Eclipse

And I definitely prefer Jacob over Edward!

message 41: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Ellis | 177 comments Jessica, you are amazing ! WOWzers!
Sharon :)

message 42: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 26. Breaking Dawn

message 43: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 27. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire

message 44: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 28. The Scarlet Letter

message 45: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 29. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo

message 46: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 30. The Book of Useless Information

message 47: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 31. Dead Even

message 48: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 32. Angel's Game

message 49: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments 33. The Memory Keeper's Daughter

message 50: by Claire (new)

Claire (proud-mum) | 3934 comments I'm reading that next for my seasonal challenge :)

« previous 1