South African Book Lovers discussion

Retired Topics > Secret Santa 2012

Comments (showing 1-32 of 32) (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (last edited Oct 29, 2012 11:04AM) (new)

Barbara | 4434 comments Mod

*sings*
Deck the hall with boughs of holly,
Fa la la la la la la la la.
'Tis the season to be jolly,
Fa la la la la la la la la.

It might be a bit early but Christmas is fast approaching! And what is more fun than getting a nice book with which you can dream away the holidays for Christmas. That is why we are having a Secret Santa!!!!

If you want to join, all you have to do is sign up in this discussion and send me your address in an email. You can do this until 10 November. I will then randomize everyone and make sure everyone gets someone to send a present. :D

Since everyone has different uses for the to read shelf on Goodreads, there will be a seperate thread where you can tell us what you would like in a wislist.

The purpose of this is to have fun and not to make each other file for bankruptcy. So that means second hand books or really cheap new books.

If you like you can add a personal note, card or other small present like a bookmark, but that is not required and is up to you.

What is required is that you try to send it off around 1 December so we can be sure everyone gets their present on time.

While all this sounds fun and should be fun there are two less pleasant things I need to discuss.
1) Some of us don't live in SA. This should not be a reason to not join. Even though sending something like a book yourself might be very expensive, ordering something on Bookdepository and having it send directly to them is not. It might be less personal but I am sure everyone is capable of finding a solution and make it personal if you want to. If you don't live in SA let us know when you sign up. If there is anyone who has a problem with sending something abroad let me know either here in the discussion or in a private email. There is a solution for everything.
2) I hate to say this but unfortunately we have had some negative experiences in the past with people sending a present but not receiving a present. That is why our Secret Santa is only open to serious members of our group. That means you have had to have been active in our group and participating in challenges during the last 6 months to be able to join us in our Secret Santa fun.

Secret Santa's elves:
Barbara
Chrizette
Lu
Claudia
Niecole
Lauren F
Varla Fiona
Lauren S

*sings*
Rudolph, the red-nosed reindeer
had a very shiny nose.
And if you ever saw him,
you would even say it glows.

message 2: by Barbara (new)

I am signing up and as most of you know I live in the Netherlands!

message 3: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments I am also signing up. Will send you a message now.

Lu (Sugar & Snark) | 12330 comments Mod
I'm in!

message 5: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Mod
I'll join. :)

message 6: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 2404 comments Mod
Yay! I love secret santa, so I'm in!

message 7: by Lauren (Sugar & Snark) (last edited Oct 26, 2012 01:34AM) (new)

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1260 comments Mod
I am in.
This is a testament to my optimistic nature because the last time we did this I was the only one who didn't receive their gift :)
But I am not bitter, just ever hopeful! ;-)

message 8: by Barbara (new)

I'm sure this time will be different. :)

message 9: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments Oh no, that is terrible Lauren - but this is going to be your year! :) Big packages, I know it!!

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1260 comments Mod
Yeah I hope so I am due some good karma I was very generous last time :-)
But it doesn't really matter. As the saying goes, it is better to give then to receive.

message 11: by Barbara (new)

The saying is nice and true, but it still sucks if you don't get a gift yourself. I hope karma is kind to you this time!

message 12: by Varla Fiona (new)

Varla Fiona (Dory_42) | 1330 comments Mod
oh, count me in!

message 13: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6944 comments Normally I would have joined in, but with my postal service woes, it'd be a bit of a waste. I hope you all enjoy your presents though!

Can't we do Bookdepo for you or send it to your mom's addy?

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6944 comments Yeah, you could send ti to my mom, but then I'd probably only get it about a year from now, which kind of defeats the purpose :(

message 16: by Barbara (new)

Aren't you going home before that time? I would hate to see you miss out on a Christmas present and miss all the fun!

message 17: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6944 comments Currently, we don't have plans to go home again before this time next year. I could have the book sent via the diplomatic postal service, but then I'd have to pay for it, and there's a greater risk that it won't arrive.

Someone could send me an eBook though. Can you get eBooks as gifts on Amazon?

it would be nice to take part; Christmas in Addis is pretty crap!

You can get ebooks as gifts on Amazon yea :)

Won't bookdepo arrive by you anymore?

message 19: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6944 comments It never did. They don't ship to Ethiopia. I've gotten books from them by having it sent to a diplomatic postal address in Pretoria; the Department forwards the post to us from there. But I've had problems with it. Some books just don't arrive, and we have to pay a fee for anything that does get here, so it's not exactly cost effective. I've decided only to resort to it if I really need something.

message 20: by Barbara (new)

Yes! You can create a wishlist and add items to this wishlist. You have to install a little button on your toolbar to do this. I just tried it and I could add an ebook and I don't even have a kindle registered.
Just go to Amazon, click Help at the top of the page, click Gifts, Gift cards and Gift Registry on the left of the page, click Wish List and Wedding & Baby registries on the left of the page. If you then click Wish list on the left of the page you get all the info you need. You can create a wishlist that should be accesible to other people who can then buy ebooks for you.
Go try it and if it works you can sign up!

message 21: by Claudia (new)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Mod
*sends Lauren pirated ebooks for christmas*
hehe

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6944 comments Barbara wrote: "Yes! You can create a wishlist and add items to this wishlist. You have to install a little button on your toolbar to do this. I just tried it and I could add an ebook and I don't even have a kindl..."

Awesome! *Heads over to Amazon*

Claudia wrote: "*sends Lauren pirated ebooks for christmas*
hehe"

Lol :)
You know, the only DVDs you can buy here are crappy pirate copies.

message 23: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Smith | 6944 comments Ok, wishlist sorted, so I'm in!

message 24: by Barbara (new)

Yeah! I am so happy you can join!

message 25: by Barbara (last edited Nov 12, 2012 12:13AM) (new)

I was supposed to randomize everyone tomorrow, but I will wait till Monday since I am very busy right now and not everybody has sent me an address or posted a wishlist yet.
Can you all please check if you have sent me an email and posted a wishlist.
The sooner all my data is complete, the sooner I can randomise everyone and the sooner everyone can get busy buying presents. :D

message 26: by Barbara (new)

I will randomise later today. That means that this is your last chance to tell me (if you haven't already done so) if you have any problems with sending something to me in the Netherlands (via BD) or using the Amazon wishlist with ebooks Lauren has posted because she lives in Ethiopia and can't receive packages.
Don't think you will hurt our feelings because I totally understand that it is less fun and can be a drain on a budget that is small.

message 27: by Barbara (new)

I have randomised everyone and will send out emails in the next hour telling everybody who they get to buy presents for and where to send them. So keep an eye on your email. :)

So excited!

message 29: by Barbara (new)

Cool!

Everyone should have gotten their email by now. If there are any questions let me know.

I also started a new topic called My Secret Santa 2012. There we can discuss what we got and who we suspect is our secret santa.

Have Fun and Merry Christmas!

message 30: by Chrizette (new)

Chrizette | 906 comments MMMmmmmmmm - been browsing my secret santa's "to-read" list **sneaky, sneaky**

message 31: by Niecole (new)

Niecole | 2404 comments Mod
I love Secret Santa!!!!
Cant wait to see what I get and to see if my secret santa loves the gift :-)

message 32: by Barbara (new)

Ok guys, tomorrow is 1 December! so if you haven't sent your secret santa package yet, please do so in the coming days, so we can make sure that everyone gets their package in time.

1 person (Lauren S) already got her present. I know 2 other secret santas have definitely sent their packages and people should keep an eye out for them. You never know, your package might be one of them. :D
Also one package is being worked on very hard but it might take some time, since the elves in the post department on the North Pole are on strike. They want more breaks for hot chocolate and playing with the reindeer. Mrs. Claus is talking with them, but so far no good news. We will keep you posted on that one!

Will the other secret santas (who haven't done so already) please mail me and tell me if they have sent their packages and if not when they expect to do so. The person who is secret santa to me can tell Lu if there are any problems that need to be fixed and if my package is on the way. I already know who she is and I want to keep a little surprise in when my package will arrive. :)