SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

Pandora's Star
This topic is about Pandora's Star
Group Reads Discussions 2012 > "Pandora's Star" Final Thoughts *Spoilers*

Comments (showing 1-26 of 26) (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim What did you think of this massive book? I'm still only about halfway through it but I'm pretty sure this is a book I'll remember.

message 2: by Zac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zac | 41 comments (view spoiler)

(view spoiler)

But I absolutely LOVE the characters and world building Hamilton boasts is outstanding. Took a lot of common tropes and far fetched ideas and really wove them very neatly and believably into a story I found both riveting and often hilarious - Nigel and Ozzie might now be 2 of my all time favorite characters and I have a profound infatuation with Paula Myo I'm not easily going to get over. haha

Allen (allenblair) | 5 comments Zac, I'll second that "believably" ... I thought for sure after the first chapter I would hate it, what with the almost farcical and cliche behavior on Mars. Then it just exploded. The planets, the societies, the evolution to memory cells, rejuve and wet-wired electronics. All fantastic yet believable. And the characters are brilliant! For once, I really do feel like the author let me get to know them. I loved the Ozzie installments so much, I almost skipped ahead to read them all first!

Peggy (psramsey) | 377 comments I may have said more than a few unkind words about Mr. Hamilton earlier this evening. How did I not know this was only HALF of the damn story??? I kept getting closer and closer to the end, thinking "How on earth is he going to wrap this up in less than a quarter inch of pages???"

And then I realized he had no intention of wrapping it up. And then there was swearing.

message 5: by Zac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zac | 41 comments Peggy wrote: "I may have said more than a few unkind words about Mr. Hamilton earlier this evening. How did I not know this was only HALF of the damn story??? I kept getting closer and closer to the end, think..."

HAHAHAHA - That's exactly how I was the entire last 100 pages. Totally riveted by the story while brain is just chanting to itself ('Man, this is gonna be good; what does he have in store.') And then it's down to 50 pages and I'm all - 'Still plenty of time to wrap SOMETHING up, right'. 20 pages - 'I mean... he's not gonna... would he...?' and finally.... God DAMN it!!! lol it's so true.

Jane (Hippygoth66) | 9 comments I had this book on my shelves for about two years, kept picking it up and starting reading. And didn't get past the opening pages.
Then I decided to give it one last go before sending it to the charity shop and decided to read at least 100 pages.
And as soon as I finally got to page 10 and the line "Yo dudes, how's it hanging? " I was hooked and kicked myself for the two years that I'd never gotten past page 8.
I could have started on the rest of his books two years earlier. Though I did know that there was a book two just as big waiting for me when I got to the end.

Who was your favourate character? For me it had to be Paula.

message 7: by Zac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zac | 41 comments Truly torn between Paula and Ozzie, but if forced to choose I'd go Paula.

Despite my frustration, as soon as I finished reading Gateway for a November group read, I've now begun Judas Unchained and was thrilled to see if picks up exactly where this one left off - even going back over some of the previous final scenes from other points of view. So good - consider me hooked.

Jane (Hippygoth66) | 9 comments Be warned Zac I lost 6 months when I first started reading the back catlog of Mr Hamilton. But is was six months well spent.

Guillermo   | 7 comments Strangely enough, I loved Ozzie the character, but hated most of his sections. I thought that whole plot part with the Silfen could've been left out and the story wouldn't suffer one bit. I also thought some world descriptions were too long, and alot of the major action scenes were..well sort of boring (the part with Justine and the hyperglider was imterminable). I though there was a great 5 or 600 page space opera buried in the 986 page novel I read. But the goodnews, ladies and gents, is that the sequel is better in my opinion.

message 10: by Zac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zac | 41 comments Jane wrote: "Be warned Zac I lost 6 months when I first started reading the back catlog of Mr Hamilton. But is was six months well spent."

Fortunately I'm well stocked with his stuff to catch up on on my 'to read' bookcase picked up from used book sales. Glad to find I enjoy his work!

message 11: by Zac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zac | 41 comments Couple hundred pages into Judas Unchained - clearly length is the only reason these 2 books weren't printed as 1. This is not a 'sequel' - it's the story continued and picks up the same day as the other ended. It remains INCREDIBLE and fresh and riveting at page 1200 or whatever!

message 12: by Mekerei (last edited Nov 10, 2012 02:01AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mekerei | 32 comments This is a BIG story with lots of different tales happening. Peter F. Hamilton writes great scenes

(view spoiler)[that made me feel like I'm in the same place as the characters (I felt cold when Ozzie was on the ice planet), I couldn't put the story down when Stig was being chased, I cried when Kazimir was attacked by Bruce (it’s the romantic in me).

I loved the concepts of second life, cultures who choose live pre-electronic and the family dynasties.

Like Zac I hate the cliff hanger and maybe Peggy and I were using the same vocabulary.(hide spoiler)]

My dilemma is Pandora's Star took me most of October and a bit of November to read - I'm itching to read Judas Unchained but I also want to read 1Q84 - which one first?

David Sven (Gorro) | 65 comments My first Hamilton Novel and was really impressed. A scifi author who knows how to do world building, conceptualisation AND Characterisation. I've probably been reading the wrong scifi books, but its been a while.

My Review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Will definitely be going on to read Judas Unchained...right after a couple of other books I've been going right on to read.

message 14: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) I'd like to read Judas at the same time David so we can discuss. I read Pandora earlier this year and enjoyed. I have also read the reality dysfunction series which is a epic of a scifi, with similar feel, lots of characters many side stories and each book carrying on almost the next day in timeline.

David Sven (Gorro) | 65 comments Lee wrote: "I'd like to read Judas at the same time David so we can discuss."

That would be fun. I was planning to read it after Black Company, so will probably be next weekend before I start? Hows that for you? I can slot in a few more in between if that's too early. Its not like my to read list is getting any smaller.

message 16: by Zac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zac | 41 comments I'm 330 or so pages into Judas now and I can assure you you won't be dissappointed : it's everything I kept waiting for Pandora's to become, action wise.

message 17: by Lee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lee (kiwifirst) Sounds good Zac. Looking forward to it.

David, I am in a holding pattern for The Heroes to start next week. Then during heroes we could start Judas so that we don't get ahead like the last read:)

Unless Judas is planned for a group read here and you want to do it with the group.

Mekerei | 32 comments I wish Judas Unchained was up for December poll :(

message 19: by David Sven (last edited Nov 10, 2012 09:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

David Sven (Gorro) | 65 comments Lee wrote: "David, I am in a holding pattern for The Heroes to start next week. Then during heroes we could start Judas so that we don't get ahead like the last read:)
..."

Ha Ha, yes, I started listening to the last read two weeks before the group. It takes me about 3 weeks worth of commuting and exercise to get through an audio book. So I'm starting the Audible version of Heroes tomorrow, a mere 3 days early. Hopefully that should be the right balance of not being too far behind and not too far ahead.

Ok, so were good to start Judas Unchained at the end of the week or weekend. There's no group discussion here but I'm happy to discuss it here if anyone else wants to join in.

message 20: by M? (new) - rated it 5 stars

M? (everythingbeeps) I actually read this and Judas Unchained back to back like two years ago, so it really just felt like one long book to me, and I didn't even notice the cliffhanger. Also, I really have no recollection of what happened in which book.

I will say that I enjoyed the duology immensely, as well as the Void Trilogy which follows.

message 21: by Lindalee (new)

Lindalee Stahlman (Lindalees) | 10 comments I have finished Pandora's star-which I got on Interlibrary loan. I have now bought it and Judas unchained. I wish I had owned the copy I read-what I would have loved to do is make notes on the side about which character was currently being written about. Then I could go back and read each character's arc without the other characters arcs in between. I will be doing this with Judas Unchained. The fact I bought both books after reading Pandora's Star should tell you how much I liked the book.

David Sven (Gorro) | 65 comments Loved Pandora's Star and currently enjoying Judas Unchained. I particular enjoyed the Prime's POV.

message 23: by Zac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zac | 41 comments I'm down to probably the last 40 pages of Judas Unchained and while it's taking me forever because I've been so crazy busy, I'm already mildly depressed that it's almost over. These two books I enjoyed more than anything I've read in a few years - probably since I read the first two Hyperion books.

Weenie | 99 comments Reading this thread makes me want to read the books all over again!

Peter | 39 comments Zac wrote: "I'm down to probably the last 40 pages of Judas Unchained and while it's taking me forever because I've been so crazy busy, I'm already mildly depressed that it's almost over. These two books I en..."

the void trilogy is sorts of a continuation of those books. Same universe and even some of the same characters

message 26: by Zac (new) - rated it 5 stars

Zac | 41 comments OH NO! That's great and terrible news; wonderful that there's more I can move on to, terrible that you've just committed another couple months of my life because I doubt I'll be able to resist!