Outlander Series discussion

A Trail of Fire
This topic is about A Trail of Fire
The Books > A Trail of Fire

Comments (showing 1-29 of 29) (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments Has anyone read The Space Between in A Trail of Fire? I requested an ILL for it, but I don't know how long it will take or if I will even get it. I'm really interested to find out what happens in the story.

message 2: by Wendy F, biblioholic (new)

Wendy F (blessedwannab) | 3150 comments (Thanks for making this thread!)

I haven't gotten the new book yet. I'll try to order it this weekend.

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments I saw that The Poisoned Pen has signed copies for $42. There isn't an expected publication date in the US for the book yet, so it's actually tempting for me to order one. I don't know how long I can wait to find out what happens in the story! :-P

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments I loved A Leaf--it was SO good! I got teary-eyed. I've read all of the other short stories that comprise A Trail of Fire, just not The Space Between.

message 5: by Zoey (last edited Oct 25, 2012 01:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoey  (RozanneN) | 227 comments We are lucky down here in Aus. It will be on the shelves in November, just in time for a perfect Christmas gift. Must drop hints to the husband :)

Have you tried ordering online at Amazon.co.uk You could probably get it from there from November onwards.

Or just checked bookdepository.co.uk & they have it for $17.77 USD (paperback) with free delivery world wide :)

message 6: by Lori McD (last edited Oct 25, 2012 10:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments Nope, I haven't read it, and I'm really TICKED that you can only get the hard copy in the U.S. through Poisoned Pen. Not that I don't like them, but $42 for a book? Plus, I'm a Kindle reader, and I have all the other books on Kindle.

In the UK, there's a publishing date of Nov 8 for the Kindle version. But in the U.S., there isn't even a date for the hard copy book yet! Diana G mentioned something about publishing the individual stories in the U.S., but again, nothing that I can find with a publishing date just yet.

I also remember Diana G saying that it's possible to get the book from Amazon UK, even as Kindle, but that you have to set up a whole different account and you can't see or manage all the UK books and your US books at the same time. I'm half-tempted to try it, even so, just because I hate waiting for Joan-Michael-Comte St. Germain-Mother Hildegaard story. I've read all the others, so I can wait for them.

Zoey - THANK YOU for the info. I might just have to do the paperback thing. At least the price is decent. I don't object to paying $42 for a regular Outlander series book, but $42 seems high for 4 short stories, 3 of which I've read, even if it does come with Diana G's signature.

UPDATE: bookdepository.com is out of stock on all the books, hard copy and paperback. But you can put in your email address without registering for them to notify you when the book is back in stock. Looks like they're anticipating a Nov 9th or so date. Guess the book is selling out!

message 7: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie | 6 comments I didn't even know about a Trail of Fire...and only just found out about A Leaf..

What is the Trail of Fire?

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments Sylvie, A Trail of Fire is Diana G's "newest" book, although the only story in it that hasn't ever been published before as part of a larger anthology is the one about Leoghaire's youngest daughter Joan, who's going to France to be a nun, and Jenny & Ian's middle son Michael, who's working with Cousin Jared in France to learn the wine making business. It also contains 2 Lord John Grey stories and the story about Roger's parents (mostly his father, Jerry), which is A Leaf in the Wind of All Hallows.

message 9: by Sylvie (new)

Sylvie | 6 comments Ok, thank you! I'll be on the look out for the book :)

message 10: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (Heather_FL) Here's info (particularly interesting for us US/Canada people) about the book and the stories therein:

http://www.dianagabaldon.com/2012/09/...

Looks like for the US, we'll get them in pieces and over time.

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments A Leaf On The Wind Of All Hallows novella just hit the U.S. today as a standalone. I read it as part of an anthology, but I didn't own the book until today. (Love Amazon pre-orders!)

Tempted to get the UK version of A Trail of Fire just for the new story! But can't quite convince myself to go to all the trouble to set up another Kindle account or order a hardback, when none of my other Outlander books are hardback.

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments I ordered A Trail of Fire from AbeBooks and it should be here in less than 10 days. I just couldn't wait any longer to read the new story. I shopped around and AbeBooks was the cheapest--I got it new for $22.

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments Thanks, Kimberly - the tip on AbeBooks is a good one!

I'll probably order the book, too. Can't wait and all that... sad, but true.

message 14: by Annie (new)

Annie (AnnieArgyll) | 334 comments I just bought A Leaf on the Wind.... on my Amazon com account. Then I realized it is also in the book of short stories called A Trail of Fire. It's been released in the UK but not the US and wouldn't you know it...my kindle account is with the US Amazon! Oh well, at least I've got the story I wanted to read the most!

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments SHOULD have gone The Poisoned Pen route. But no! I had to choose the cheaper version from an Italian bookseller. No offense, Kimberly - AbeBooks seems fine; but this bookseller 'lost' the book in the mail somehwere... Just got it, finally, this past Saturday!

ANYWAY... who read "The Space Between"? Can I talk about it yet? Do I have to use spoiler tags? 'Cuz I'm still reeling a bit from that story. Wow!

And I LOVE how DG wraps what seems to be 4 separate, unrelated stories through characters, names, and the Outlander lore.

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments Boo, that's too bad they lost the book. That's annoying! I'm glad you finally got it though.

I've read The Space Between, so I'm happy to discuss it. I haven't run across anyone who has read it yet aside from you. Honestly, I am so confused--the story created more questions than answers, LOL!

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments What confused you, Kimberly? Let's start there....

Did you pick up on the Comte St. Germain's "real name" and the name of the Polish pilot in A Leaf On The Wind Of All Hallows?

Eileen (bellbat54) | 15 comments Kimberly and Lori, I read it too so am happy to join the discussion!

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments OK, then! I loved this story, but as usual, I wanted MORE! Can't wait for Master Raymond's story, which I hope makes this time travel stuff that much clearer.

So the 'blue light' - have we seen that before? I don't remember it... Interesting that Master Raymond alludes to the aura. And "his children", who are "like" him. Does that mean he's the original time traveler? Is he the one who healed the baby Murtaugh's clef palate?

And the names... wow! I must have finally been paying attention, because I saw many connections to the Outlander stories (and especially the stories in this book) based on character's names - what they called themselves and who they really were.

What did you think of Joan's "gift"? What was the warning to Charles about, do you think? The same warning to the Comte or different? Why didn't Joan see the 'pall of death'?

Michael and Joan... do we assume the direction it seems like at the end of the story? Do you think that Michael believes Claire's warnings about the French Revolution?

message 20: by Kimberly (last edited Jan 26, 2013 10:29AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kimberly (kimberly_b) | 429 comments Sorry for my delayed response! I haven't had time to flip back through the story until now.

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Lori McD (last edited Jan 28, 2013 11:59AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments Kimberly - replying in spoiler tags:

(view spoiler)

I hope we do hear/see more of Joan & Michael in MOBY. It would be nice. I just wonder if DG will do a whole side series on them or as part of the Raymond books... MOBY is supposed to be about the American Revolution, and it's the French Revolution that will involve Michael, Joan, Jared Fraser, Mother Hidegard, and the others in France. But who knows?

message 22: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (Heather_FL) I borrowed The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination Original Short Fiction for the Modern Evil Genius by John Joseph Adams from the library and read The Space Between this weekend. While I left a short review, I didn't rate the overall book because I felt it wouldn't be fair. :-) As I said in that short blurb, I think this brought up more questions than it answered!

(view spoiler)

Anyway... I think I need to go back and read some of the other novellas that I have and haven't read yet. I know I don't have them all.

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments Heather in FL wrote: "I borrowed The Mad Scientist's Guide to World Domination Original Short Fiction for the Modern Evil Genius by John Joseph Adams from the library and read The Space Between this weekend. While I le..."

Heather... (view spoiler)

That's all my two cents worth... but I think that Kimberly will back me up.

message 24: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (Heather_FL) Lori... (view spoiler) It's so hard for me to remember everything that happened because so much happens in every one of these, lol!

Lori McD (LoriMcD) | 657 comments Heather, (view spoiler) I'd have to go back to Dragonfly or Voyager to find the specific mentions...

How clever, huh?

message 26: by Cait (new)

Cait | 12 comments Lori McD wrote: "Heather, [spoilers removed] I'd have to go back to Dragonfly or Voyager to find the specific mentions...

How clever, huh?"

Geilis says it directly in Voyager, which I just finished re-reading (did not catch it on my first few times through, until I read The Space Between): (view spoiler)

message 27: by Heather in FL (new)

Heather in FL (Heather_FL) Ah, there we go. I thought I recalled something like that, just didn't remember the specific name. You have to pay such close attention in her books! It's all about the details.

message 28: by Keri (new)

Keri | 74 comments What do you think master Raymond meant by his people? Are they witches, fairies, something else that we haven't heard anything about? What about the lost daughter? Do you think that might be Claire since he healed her after the miscarriage?

message 29: by Cheri (new)

Cheri (Cherirnhealer) | 116 comments Keri,
I think is Master Raymond is a very old soul who is very spiritual and a powerful psychic and magician of the dark arts. He can see colored auras surrounding people He is referring to "his people" as those people who emanate a blue aura and are also powerful as healers and sensitive to energy and "magic" as they thought in those days as witches and fairies. He saw the blue light around Claire an since we can assume he is a fellow time traveler he probably recognized that Claire was one too, and that was why he was able to heal her after her miscarriage. I think he was looking for her when he referred to "a lost daughter".