Picture Books discussion

Top three read alouds for ages 6-8

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 10 comments Mod
As a second grade teacher, I love:

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White (Cliched, but so beautifully written)

The Mouse and the Motorcycle by Beverly Cleary

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. Lewis

I tried reading The Watsons Go to Birmingham by Christopher Paul Curtis, but had a hard time with some of the humor for this age group. I think it's more of a 3rd grade read. I'm looking for a good African American read aloud for 2nd grade. I also tried Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred D. Taylor and I realized it had some really sad allusions to violence--which I'm not opposed to, but difficult to explain in a longer read, rather than addressed in shorter read-alouds for 2nd grade, in my opinion.

message 2: by Deana (new)

Deana | 1 comments With longer read alouds in mind: Take a look at Christopher Paul Curtis for a good African American stories for 2nd grade.

There is also a great series by Maiya Williams- although the main characters Rowan and Nina are grieving the loss of their mother- the first one is called "The Golden Hour" the second one is "The Hour of the Cobra."

message 3: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 10 comments Mod
Minor Librarian

My 2nd graders LOVED Leonardo the Terrible Monster! Thanks for that recommendation. I passed it along to other teachers at my school who are loving it as well.

As far as picture book read-alouds. Our 2nd graders have enjoyed:
*Mrs. Toggle's Zipper (and also her Beautiful Blue Shoe) by Robin Pulver
*My Lucky Day by Keiko Kasza
*Jin Woo by Eve Bunting (I read this because I've been adopted from Korea--I didn't think I'd like such a "precious" story about adoption written by someone who, as far as I know, is not adopted, but it's surprisingly good at raising universal issues of sibling jealousy for all kids)

message 4: by Jackie (new)

Jackie | 10 comments Mod
Deana, Thanks for the African American book recommendations. I will definitely check those out. I really WANT to read Christopher Paul Curtis to my 2nd graders. I love his writing! Thanks for the encouragement!

message 5: by April (new)

April (arobins) | 1 comments All of our books except for Lovely Little Lamb and Keeper of Happy Faces were worded for early readers. We would love it if you looked at them. The three I would suggest are Zachary Goes Treasure Hunting, The Beautiful Princess Without a Face, and Where is My Bennie?