Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > Images not loading

Comments (showing 1-11 of 11) (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 24, 2012 11:35AM) (new)

There are some days where images won't load in Goodreads for me. I don't think it's my internet connection, because other websites will work fine. And it's not that the images load eventually - I just get loads of blue boxes with question marks in them. Refreshing the page won't work. When this happens, it happens for days, usually.

Here are some screen shots:

Second screen shot:

Even the author ads on the side don't have their images showing. I use Safari, on a Mac. Is there some way to fix this? Is it a bug, or is it just me?

Thanks, Mona

message 2: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Mona wrote: "There are some days where images won't load in Goodreads for me. I don't think it's my internet connection, because other websites will work fine. And it's not that the images load eventually - I j..."

This sounds like a browser issue, but I can see if it's happening for me - can you direct me to any specific images you're not seeing?

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Right now, the image of your profile pic isn't there in your message above as I type this. There's a blue box with a question mark. The problem happens off and on, but when it happens it goes for a few days. If it's Safari, I don't know what to do. It doesn't seem to happen with other websites, mainly Goodreads.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

But I left the page and went back, and your profile pic is there now.

message 5: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Mona wrote: "But I left the page and went back, and your profile pic is there now."

Does this occur on other browsers? Have you tried clearing your cache?

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I just cleared my cache just now. I don't use any other browsers. I'm pretty certain I've tried clearing the cache before, and it didn't work. I've had this problem for months, of and on, really. But if it fixes the problem, then great. If it doesn't, I'll post here again.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Mona wrote: "But I left the page and went back, and your profile pic is there now."

Your screen shots do not appear and are not clickable.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Mona wrote: "But I left the page and went back, and your profile pic is there now."

Your screen shots do not appear and are not clickable."

Sorry about that. I think I fixed it. I think I was using a file type for the images which wouldn't work in every browser. I hope you can see them now, but I'm not sure how to make them clickable.

message 9: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Mona wrote: "Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Mona wrote: "But I left the page and went back, and your profile pic is there now."

Your screen shots do not appear and are not clickable."

Sorry about that. I think I ..."

Hmm, images show up properly for me on Safari.

Do you have any Safari plug-ins or extensions installed? Ad blocking software? You could also try looking at your security settings (Safari menu --> Preferences).

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I was using tiff files for the screenshots, which I don't think would work in other browsers. I forgot about that when I uploaded the files.

Maybe clearing the cache did the trick - I haven't had the problem since I did it when you suggested it, but then I'm a big idiot for not doing that earlier! I'm sure I've tried that before and it didn't work, but maybe I need to do it quite often for Goodreads. I don't know. I don't have any plug-ins installed, and I don't use ad blocking software. It could be clearing the cache after all, I suppose. If it is, I'm sorry to have bothered you!

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 24, 2012 12:07PM) (new)

After saying all that, the problem is happening again. Author ads, some people's profile pics, and on the group page some of the group pics have the blue box with the question mark. I cleared my cache just over an hour ago. It's not a problem where I can't use Goodreads, but it's just kind of weird.