Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Dennis Lehane
This topic is about Dennis Lehane
Miscellaneous Book Talk > Dennis Lehane Nashville Book event

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (last edited Oct 23, 2012 10:02PM) (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 11183 comments Dennis Lehane visited Nashville tonight. The audience at the downtown main library, many miles from Dennis' Dorchester childhood home were entertained by stories of Dennis's background and family life in Boston; fresh insights to many of us, tied to some of the scenes we have read about in the books or have seen in the film adaptions of Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone.
He said he could never envision the book The Given Day as a movie and was highly unlikely to ever sell the rights. Some books simply must be books, not films.
He gets reactions to The Given Day at both ends of the spectrum. "I loved it", or "I started, it, keep meaning to get back to it"
He discussed his new imprint at Harper Collins, his publisher for seventeen years, and that the books he publishes will have depth of character, depth of language, not necessarily commercial or mainstream, but novels he enjoys. Relating his tastes to movies, he didn't "get" The Avengers, but watched Beasts of the Southern Wild three times.
Discussion of Live by Night included how it evolved from "always wanting to write a gangster book", to finding a niche with Prohibition that didn't mimic other recent takes on it such as HBO's Boardwalk Empire or Ken Burns' view. The niche - rum, and Latin influences; from Havana to Tampa to Boston.
What does he write about, when does he write, why does he write? Misfits, irreconcilable dilemmas; written in the morning, as close to a dreamstate as he can get, before the world intrudes and interferes, in an office so he can have that distance; writing stories, stories like those he grew up hearing, stories with emotional truth, authentic stories, filled with characters who may tell lies, but lies that reveal the truth.

message 2: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 11183 comments for the record, I loved The Given Day and am savoring and enjoying Live by Night

message 3: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (Bonadie) | 6510 comments Thanks for the report, Ann. I"m amazed that he covered almost none of this when I saw him a few weeks ago, yet filled a good 45 minutes of so. Did he tell the story of how someone said/wrote that the book started slow but picked up, followed by his actually reading aloud the first paragraph, which starts with a jaw-dropping image that builds suspense? We all got a good laugh out of that one.

I think is the push I need to get started on Live by Night. Maybe I'll try to squeeze in a few pages before I leave for work.

message 4: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3023 comments thanks for the report. I haven't read one of dennis's in awhile. maybe will hae to check around to see if I have any to move up the pile.

message 5: by Ann (new)

Ann (AnnRumsey) | 11183 comments Carol: No Dennis didn't tell that story, which sounds quite ironic / funny! He did tell several great stories, mainly he regaled us with descriptions of growing up in Boston, probably not what you would get as an audience up there! ;)
The other things I mentioned mainly came up during the Q&A which was quite lively. I was disappointed to not have an opportunity to hear what he is working on next.
Carol/Bonadie wrote: "Thanks for the report, Ann. I"m amazed that he covered almost none of this when I saw him a few weeks ago, yet filled a good 45 minutes of so. Did he tell the story of how someone said/wrote that..."

message 6: by Brakedrum (new)

Brakedrum | 1203 comments Sounds like you both, Carol and Ann, had a great time with Lehane. Yes, his newest one, Live by Night, starts off with a man with his feet in concrete on a boat about to be thrown into the water. So, yes, he grabs the reader right off the bat.

message 7: by Donnajo (new)

Donnajo | 3023 comments I'll have to keep my eyes open for this books sounds good.