DC Comics Fans discussion

Comics > Are there any books you have dropped or thinking about dropping?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 52) (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Annice22 (new)

Annice22 | 219 comments Mod
A couple of books I'm thinking about dropping are:

Birds of Prey & Green Lantern

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 130 comments I shed many titles for the reboot, since it was obvious the new versions had nothing to do with the old. I also took the opportunity to quit all the LEGION OF SUPER HEROES titles.

message 3: by Mike Briggs (last edited Oct 24, 2012 07:49AM) (new)

Mike Briggs (MikeBriggs) edited to add:
I forgot to mention that other than a few collections I had read previous to the reboot (Flash, Batwoman, Kevin Smith's Green Arrow), I had not been a DC Comics reader.
edited to add part finished

There some series I read in single issue form and some in collection form, so there are some I may or may not "give up on" when the time comes for volume 2 comes out, but I do not have to make the decision yet. As for single issue reading:

Before I learned it was canceled, I had decided to drop Justice League International. I've forgotten if Justice League Dark was also cancelled or not, but regardless, I dropped that one as well.

Dropped:
All-Star Western
Aquaman
Batman
Batman: The Dark Knight
Captain Atom (this one might be one of the cancelled ones)
DC Universe Presents
Deathstroke (in collected form)
Flash
Fury of Firestorm
Green Arrow
Grifter (in collected form)
Justice League Dark
Justice League International
Phantom Stranger
Red Hood and the Outlaws
Resurrection Man
Savage Hawkman
Suicide Squad
Team 7

Never tried:
Animal Man
Batman Incorporated
Batman and Robin
Blue Beetle
Dial H
Frankenstein, Agent of SHADE
Green Lantern
Green Lantern Corps
Green Lantern: New Guardians
I, Vampire
Legion of Super-Heroes
Men of War (cancelled)
Mister Terrific (cancelled)
Static Shock (cancelled)
Swamp Thing
Wonder Woman

Not sure if going to keep following:
Batwoman (in collected form)
Birds of Prey (in single issue form)
Demon Knights (in single issue form)
The Ravagers (in single issue form)
Stormwatch (in collected form)
Teen Titans (in collected form)

Canceled series (DC Comics gave up on before I did):
Blackhawks
Hawk and Dove
OMAC
Voodoo (technically not listed as cancelled, though character, Voodoo, moved to Grifter series)

Reading:
Action Comics
Batgirl
Batwing (in collected form)
Catwoman (in collected form)
Earth 2
GI Combat/Unknown Soldier
Justice League
Legion Lost (in collected form)
Red Lanterns (in collected form)
Superboy (in collected form)
Supergirl
Superman
Sword of Sorcery
Talon
World’s Finest

message 4: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 130 comments I am enjoying Batman and Robin. I am sticking with World's Finest, but it had better pick up.

message 5: by Justin (new)

Justin Flint | 59 comments I was about to Drop Superman, but i am willing to give Lobdell a chance and from the look of #13 its looking good

message 6: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 413 comments Think I've dropped about 46 of the 52.

Think my reading list got a boost, as my daughter talked me into picking up Teen Titans.
But, of that list of six, at least three are in danger of being dropped or cancelled.
I'd be depressed, but my marvel list is even smaller. Think I'm down to three marvel titles.

message 7: by Annice22 (new)

A lot of the cancellations reduced my pull list but I'm still deciding on a few more.

For now I'm still giving Teen Titans a chance but the artwork and the story really needs to improve.

message 8: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 413 comments Looks like Green Arrow is next to go. Like the new take on GA, but even with the new writer and the weird China adventure, I'm just loving this series.
Does the supporting cast actually ever do anything?

Also have some doubts I'll be sticking around on 'Action' once Grant Morrison leaves.
Though, my daughter has me reading 'Superman Family Adventures', so I guess I'll break even.

message 9: by Sami (new)

Sami Tabbarah | 6 comments I dropped a lot over the past year, but most notably was Wonder Woman. I know it's been a critical darling, and I loved it during its first few issues...but then it just got silly. I was actually going "wtf" in my head while reading the last several issues. It really seems like Azzarello is writing an alternate version of WW. His WW is completely different than the WW Geoff Johns is writing in JL, for example. It's not a WW I like.

I also dropped Birds of Prey after Ivy's "death".

I tried one issue of Green Arrow from every new writer who wrote him during the new 52 (including Winnick's #0) and none of them made me pick up the series.

I'm still reading around 14 titles from DC, in addition to Smallville: Season 11, Batman Beyond Unlimited, and Arkham Unhinged. I'm getting nothing from Marvel, and 'Saga' is the only other thing I get that is not published by DC.

From this new wave, I've only tried Talon and Phantom Stranger, and I'm going to stick through a few more issues before making a definitive decision on them. I've surprisingly enjoyed Phantom Stranger so far despite the negative reviews.

message 10: by Sami (new)

Sami Tabbarah | 6 comments I also dropped every single Superman book (Superman, Superboy Supergirl) except for Action Comics, and I'm not sure if I'm going to stick with it after Morrison ends his run. I am very excited to read Snyder's take on him though!

Currently, I'm greatly enjoying Rotworld crossing through Swamp Thing and Animal Man. I am choosing to ignore Frankenstein.

message 11: by Annice22 (new)

I have been thinking about dropping Superboy. The book just doesn't seem to be improving at least to me.

message 12: by Bob (new)

Bob Of the ones I had been reading I dropped Superboy. Now maybe if he had Krypto............. :)

message 13: by Jim (new)

Jim Ratkowski | 8 comments Dropped Deathstroke after #0, wasn't liking the art direction during the Lobo arc.

message 14: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 413 comments What's gone:

New Guardians
Stormwatch
Aquaman
Ravengers
GI Combat ( not my fault, they canceled it)
Sword of scorcery

message 15: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 130 comments I've dropped all the print Bat titles, because the current maxi-arc is so annoying. I am continuing to keep the e titles.

message 16: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 413 comments Picked up Stormwatch when Starlin took over, but have dropped Birds of Prey.

Tried all four GL titles when the new teams came on, but have already dropped the main two and New Guardians is hanging by a thread.
If they really killed my favorite Blue Lantern just to lead into another freakin' crossover I'm done.

and they canceled 'Demon Knights'.

So, I'm down to four titles.

message 17: by HJ (new)

HJ (Hermgerm) | 14 comments I hopped on Batman/ Superman by Greg Pak and Jae Lee and so far its pretty good. But I've dropped more DC books over the last six months than I have during the last ten years. Stormwatch, Justice League Dark, The Flash, Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, All- Star Western, Superman, Action Comics, Swamp Thing, Animal Man and Aquaman have all made it to the chopping block. This is a sure sign that DC's doing something wrong. Right now the only comics I'm still getting are Earth 2, Justice League, Batman and Adventures of Superman. I might pick up Action again after Greg Pak starts writing it. But as of this moment Marvel is definitely my publisher of choice. Get your act together, DC.

message 18: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (RHWright) | 64 comments I'm considering dropping Superman Unchained. But I already need to pick up another title to keep my current discount, so I may keep it till a replacement comes along.

SU is a good book, it's just not a book I love yet.

message 19: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 130 comments I dropped all the Bat titles, but will give Batman/Superman one more issue. If it doesn't pick up speed by then, I am out. The only DC titles I am reading regularly now are the Fables books, Astro City, and Li'l Gotham.

message 20: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 413 comments what's sad is that for every title I decide to drop, DC turns around and cancels a title I like.

It's like they are taking it personally and deciding to punish me.

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim Ratkowski | 8 comments dropped Teen Titans, an Earth 2

Reading all 4 GL titles, Nightwing, Red Hood, Superboy

message 22: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 413 comments I'm hanging on to Earth-2 until I find out who takes over after Robinson leaves.

message 23: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (RHWright) | 64 comments Tom Taylor (INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US) takes over with Earth 2 #17.

message 24: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 130 comments I am sticking to BATMAN/SUPERMAN, which has fantastic art.

message 25: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 413 comments Well, I have no knowledge of Tom Taylor, but my daughter tells me Injustice is cool, so I'll most likely give him a three issue try out.

The art on Batman/Superman is very pretty, but I found the story to be a letdown, which is a shame as I'm a pretty big Pak fan, but this story did not work for me.

message 26: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 130 comments Yeah, they had better pull the scripting up out of the hole or I will have to bail on B/S

message 27: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 413 comments Brenda wrote: "Yeah, they had better pull the scripting up out of the hole or I will have to bail on B/S"

You might want to be more specific, as there's a lot of BS going on in the new 52.

I crack me up.

It is weird, as Pak is generally a really solid writer.
Shame, as I'm a huge fan of the old World's Finest, so I was looking forward to this.

message 28: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 130 comments The old Superman/Batman, with Joseph Loeb, were some of the best comics I have ever read, so if you haven't gotten those (they've all been released in GN format) you are in for a treat. Alas, this current iteration is just not in the same league. Yet. They are on my bubble.

message 29: by Paul (new)

Paul Riches (Scoopriches) | 5 comments Just dropped Green Arrow because it felt repetitive and not going anywhere.

Also dropped Green Team and The Movement. The first made no sense and the second took to long to get started.

message 30: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 413 comments Paul wrote: "Just dropped Green Arrow because it felt repetitive and not going anywhere.

Also dropped Green Team and The Movement. The first made no sense and the second took to long to get started."

Which is funny, because it being so goofy is why I'm staying with Green Team.
Though, I agree with you on GA and the Movement.

message 31: by Rick (new)

Rick Andrews | 3 comments Boring...... Batgirl, Supergirl, Wonder Woman rock. If you don't love it leave it for Marvel.

message 32: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (RHWright) | 64 comments Smallville (Season 11): art is getting choppy and hardly looks like the actors anymore, story is drifting and feels too focused on "what DC character can we introduce this issue" now that they're not under DC Entertainment prohibitions on who they can/cannot use in live action

Superman Unchained: story needs to get better and they need to keep to a regular schedule.

Why can't DC just put out a good, solid Superman book these days? Technically he's their flagship character. Though for money and popularity, that's realistically Batman now.

message 33: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 413 comments Just realized I'm three issues behind on Justice League Dark and feel no sense of urgency to track them down, so I guess that's another one off the list.

Maybe I'll try an issue post-Forever Evil.

So, that leaves me with 3 DC titles. How sad.

message 34: by Mike Briggs (new)

Mike Briggs (MikeBriggs) I suppose, technically, I've dropped them all. By accident. Gov't shutdown. I didn't have money, so I skipped the Wednesday new releases, though I still looked online. Gov't reopened and I had gotten into the habit of not going to get new issues.

I'm way behind now with no sense of urgency to hurry over and get caught up. I haven't stopped reading comics altogether, still reading non-DC Comics, though only two series did I keep up with (Mind the Gap, and Saga).

message 35: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 130 comments I may well have fallen off the sled for Superman/Batman as well. It is pretty, but too decompressed.

message 36: by Annice22 (new)

I'm going to be dropping Superboy and Supergirl pretty soon. I'm not enjoying the way those series are continuing to go down hill.

I've already stopped reading Superman and Action Comics (even though I thought about picking up AC #25).

Now I just read Smallville, Adventures of Superman and Superman Unchained, it sucks that the new 52 doesn't seem to understand who Superman is supposed to be.

message 37: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (RHWright) | 64 comments WB/DC just seems uncomfortable with the inherent, well, goodness of Superman and keeps trying to "redefine" him for modern times.

Supes/Clark is a big boy scout. He is too good to be true. He is so powerful as to be almost unbeatable. Good writers can use that to their advantage. Bad ones have him take out half of Metropolis as collateral damage and kill his opponent.

Superman is meant to be an aspirational hero, someone to look up to. DC needs to live with that.

In other Superman notes, anyone else flummoxed by the latest credit change on the books:

Superman Created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Schuster. By Special Arrangement with the Jerry Siegel Family.

I realize the second part is by legal agreement, but Siegel really gets twice the credit? It also just smacks of "we are legally obligated to says this, but if we could get away with it, we wouldn't give anyone the credit or money they deserve."

Or maybe that's just me.

message 38: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 413 comments Robert wrote: "WB/DC just seems uncomfortable with the inherent, well, goodness of Superman and keeps trying to "redefine" him for modern times.

Supes/Clark is a big boy scout. He is too good to be true. He is s..."

Unfortunately, current DC doesn't know what to do with characters that are 'just super heroes', so if they can't slap a tragic backstory on them, they are lost, but at the same time they need to be able to cash in on Superman, so we get this stuff and that movie.

Aside from Grant's Action run and Art and Franco's Superman Family, the poor guy hasn't had a readable title in years.

message 39: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 130 comments A case could be made that TV and movies completely destroy a character. It took decades for Batman to get better from Adam West. Is ARROW doing anything good to Green Arrow?

message 40: by Robert (new)

Robert Wright (RHWright) | 64 comments Not being a GA fan or having seen the show, I can't say it sways me either way about the character. The main Green Arrow book has not caught my interest in any new ways either.

message 41: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 413 comments What bugs me is that the New 52 Green Arrow was a decent take on the character and then DC had to scrap that to make him more like the TV version, which I have no interest in, so my DC list gets ever smaller.

message 42: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 130 comments You should have seen the camp Batman take over not only all the Bat titles, but the JLA, even Sugar 'n' Spike, in the day. The influence of TV and movies really is pernicious.

message 43: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 413 comments Actually, I never had a problem with cheerful Batman.
It was the silver age, before they invented angst.

Current Batman is too dark for my old school tastes, he never smiles and all his foes are serial killers.

message 44: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Clough (BrendaClough) | 130 comments Yes, the endless serial killers is so boring.

message 45: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 413 comments Anybody else feeling really let down over the reveal of who Earth 2 Batman is?
What a convoluted mess that was.

Between that and this new direction they are going in, I'm starting to lose some excitement over this title.
Though, that might have something to do with the main cast being ignored for three months...

message 46: by Annice22 (new)

Travis wrote: "Anybody else feeling really let down over the reveal of who Earth 2 Batman is?
What a convoluted mess that was.

Between that and this new direction they are going in, I'm starting to lose some exc..."

Yeah I've heard about who the Earth 2 Batman is. It does seem like they're sort of ran out of ideas but maybe they're working on new stories and Earth 2 will go back to being a good series.

message 47: by Sergio (new)

Sergio (Le_Serge) | 4 comments I dunno, but I've only dropped titles due to not having money.

I am doing something crazy, because I work at a bookstore and I get discounts, I've actually been buying one trade a week of the New 52. I say it's crazy because I even buy trades that Pop Culture tells me are horrible titles and I should be ashamed of reding such un-trendy trash. But, an even crazier thing is that I actually been enjoying the series I dropped more.

My regrets? The monthly format is limiting the potential of creators, I dropped so many titles before because one or two issues were not as good and I couldn't afford everything I wanted. But now I am reading them again because of the Trade format is actually more enjoyable this way. The full scope of the reboot wasn't fully realized by me until I started to see all the titles intercepting. Once I dropped my well-wishing of "going back to how things were" I laughed at myself because I sounded like Clint Eastwood saying 'get off my lawn'. I think Cyborg, Red Robin, Black Canary, Captain Marvel (Shazam I know), Zatana, The Question, Bunker, John Steward, Martian Manhunter and many others deserve ongoing series. Maybe once Grant Morrison publishes Multiversity we might get more titles.

message 48: by Travis (new)

Travis (travisHiltz) | 413 comments Is there a release date for Multiversity yet?

It keeps getting mentioned, but I can't find any info of the thing actually coming out.

message 49: by Sergio (new)

Sergio (Le_Serge) | 4 comments No release date, but if I have a hunch it will be around the same month they did the reboot, so September would be my guess. That way it would give Forever Evil to wrap up along with all the aftermath, Neil Gaiman's Sandman Prequel, and Snyder's Batbooks.

message 50: by Paul (new)

Paul Riches (Scoopriches) | 5 comments Just dropped Justice League 3000. Usually like Giffen, but this book is a mess.

« previous 1