Parents of Tweens (9-14) discussion

Discussions > YOUR choices versus THEIR choices!

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Quick! Tell us what you would like to choose (if it could be any book at all) for your tween to read next and what you think THEY would choose to read next (if it could be anything at all.)
I'll go first. I would like to see my 9 year old son read my all time favorite, "The Wind in the Willows" and I'm sure he would choose to read a random (and odious) World of Warcraft novel.

message 2: by Sheila (new)

Sheila Oh if it was my choice it would have to be something classic. We just read The Wind in the Willows together about two months ago, and are currently reading Treasure Island.
Her choice would be a re-read of one of her favorites, probably something by Judy Blume such as Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret or Blubber.

message 3: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Sheila! Kindred spirit. THe Wind in the Willows is my favorite. It used to be Les Miserables but 2 years ago I read The Wind in the Willows for the first time and cursed my little girl self who all those years ago thought Wind in the Willows was a baby book. I return to it whenever I need a little comfort. Tell, me. Did your Munchkin like it? I fear when Thomas finally read it he won't.
At her age, I loved The Witch of Blackbird Pond (stil do). Of course, there was no witch, but it's a lovely story.

message 4: by Leslie (last edited Oct 27, 2012 04:51AM) (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Sheila wrote: "Oh if it was my choice it would have to be something classic. We just read The Wind in the Willows together about two months ago, and are currently reading Treasure Island.
Her choice would be a re..."

Sheila, I just remembered another one of my childhood favorites. Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'Dell. It was so wonderful. A Newberry winner and a true story. I even read the follow up, Zia. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/23...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

My son is ten and his current obsession is The Magyk series by Angie Sage so it would be one of those for him. For me...Ender's Game or The Hobbit would be this week's choice!

message 6: by Leslie (new)

Leslie (lesslie) Oh Stephanie I loved Ender's Game. And I never would have read it except my husband raved about it and as I had just met him at the time I read it to impress him. Of course, we all love the Hobbit here at our house and consider ourselves part hobbit in many ways. Can't wait for the movie! We're going to Denny's after for Hobbit food. Haven't been there in years. Will look up the Magyk series, sounds familiar and I'm always looking for something to tempt my son with. He's almost 10 so wish us luck.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

My son also loves anything by Rick Riordan so you should check him out too. It got him reading the actual myths which was cool too :)