Goodreads Feedback discussion

Bugs > Renaming shelves pushes all books to the feed regardless of selected options

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nikki (last edited Oct 23, 2012 05:31AM) (new)

Nikki  (shanaqui) | 1324 comments Activity saying I'd added [x] book to [y] shelf just got pushed to my update feed despite me having the "Add a book to your shelves" option disabled, totally swamping my actual reviews, status updates, likes and so on -- the stuff I actually want pushed to my feed. It doesn't happen when I add a new book, or when I move a book between shelves. I'm pretty sure it happened because I renamed a shelf.

Pushing all the books on that shelf to my feed again because I renamed the shelf seems absurd. If it's not covered by disabling "Add a book to your shelves" by intention, then it should be, or it should have its own option. I don't want dozens of books being pushed to my feed as though they're new when all I did was retitle the shelf.

message 2: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Oct 23, 2012 06:11AM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) You probably have "Add a Book to your shelves" ticked on your feeds (see the feeds tab on your profile). When you do a major change, you will want to untick that box for 24 hours so that your friends aren't overwhelmed.

message 3: by Nikki (new)

Nikki  (shanaqui) | 1324 comments I do not have that box ticked, that's my point.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Ah, first thing in the morning here. I see the difference. Good catch, Nikki - they probably want to revisit that.

message 5: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Nikki wrote: "Activity saying I'd added [x] book to [y] shelf just got pushed to my update feed despite me having the "Add a book to your shelves" option disabled, totally swamping my actual reviews, status upda..."

Yeah, that shouldn't happen, especially if you have your feeds turned off. We've heard a few reports of this before, but we were never able to directly reproduce it. It sounds like it could be an intermittent problem. I looked at your update feed, but it looks like you have already removed the "added x book" updates?

message 6: by Nikki (new)

Nikki  (shanaqui) | 1324 comments Yes, I removed them (and have been active on the site since). If it happens again, I will take screenshots, if that would help?

Alex is The Romance Fox (wwwaromancefoxblogspotcom) | 18 comments thanks so much for this.....i probably drove some of my friends crazy as i did a whole "reshuffle' on my bookshelves

message 8: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Nikki wrote: "Yes, I removed them (and have been active on the site since). If it happens again, I will take screenshots, if that would help?"

Yes, screenshots would be very helpful.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Nikki wrote: "Yes, I removed them (and have been active on the site since). If it happens again, I will take screenshots, if that would help?"

Nikki, do any of your friends get the updates email? If so, it would contain all of these books. One of them could send that email as an attachment to Kara.

message 10: by Kara (last edited Oct 23, 2012 11:09AM) (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: Nikki, do any of your friends get the updates email? ..."

Great idea! Thanks Elizabeth.

message 11: by Nikki (new)

Nikki  (shanaqui) | 1324 comments I don't know, but I just reproduced the problem -- if you look at my feed now, it's full of books from a renamed shelf. It only happens if the shelf is an exclusive one; renaming non-exclusive shelves doesn't change anything. It doesn't happen if I move a single book between two exclusive shelves.

message 12: by Nikki (new)

message 13: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
Nikki wrote: "And I took a screenshot."

Thanks, Nikki! That's definitely useful. I'll add it to the ticket.

message 14: by Karma♥Bites ^.~ (last edited Oct 25, 2012 12:55PM) (new)

Karma♥Bites ^.~ (Karma_Bites) | 658 comments Nikki wrote: "Activity saying I'd added [x] book to [y] shelf just got pushed to my update feed despite me having the "Add a book to your shelves" option disabled, totally swamping my actual reviews, status updates, likes and so on -- the stuff I actually want pushed to my feed. It doesn't happen when I add a new book, or when..."

I too have "Add a book to your shelves" option disabled, but have noticed the same problem for the past few days. Don't know when it started because I rarely go into "profile". Only found out about it because a friend commented on the odd feed one day.

Seems to occur only when I edit my bookshelves—renaming is definite trigger.

ADDED: Correction/addition to the above. Just added some books and those added via entering giveaway showed up on update feed.

message 15: by Phillip (new)

Phillip Edwards (phillipjedwards) | 14 comments I just came here to report the same bug. If I rename one of my exclusive shelves it throws all the books on that shelf onto my feed. Very annoying.

message 16: by Louise (new)

Louise | 41 comments Yeah, this happened to me yesterday as well. Not cool. If I'd realised that simply renaming an exclusive shelf would flood all my friend's update pages with 60+ books I would have just left it how it was.

message 17: by Brenda (b) (last edited Nov 12, 2012 08:30PM) (new)

Brenda (b) (Brenda_b) | 210 comments I was directed here by rivka. I posted yesterday in a new thread because I couldn't find this one myself.

I added a new exclusive shelf to my shelves and moved a very large amount of books to it -- over 3300. Because of this I inadvertently caused at least one my friends to receive a really huge update email. The box for showing books added to shelves is not checked on my update feed settings.

Stacia (the 2010 club) (Stacia_R) | 331 comments I've had the same problem when changing shelf names, where it's kicked all of my books on that shelf out to my feed, even with the option turned off. It makes me scared to rename any shelf now.

message 19: by Velma (new)

Velma (velmalikevelvet) | 109 comments I'm having the same issue, and I hate it.

message 20: by Phillip (last edited Nov 15, 2012 02:56PM) (new)

Phillip Edwards (phillipjedwards) | 14 comments There is a cumbersome way round it, of course:

(1) Remember that it is going to happen
(2) Make your shelf non-exclusive
(3) Rename it
(4) Make it exclusive again

It's part (1) that always trips me up.

Elizabeth (Alaska) Phillip wrote: "There is a cumbersome way round it, of course:

(1) Remember that it is going to happen
(2) Untick the appropriate box re: feeds on your profile
(3) Create a new exclusive shelf
(4) Batch edit all of the books to a new shelf and then delete the original shelf

message 22: by Velma (new)

Velma (velmalikevelvet) | 109 comments Or, they could just fix it.

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 9 comments So, to avoid this I tried moving via batch-editing today. Did not work, still showed on feed. Gggggrrrr...

message 24: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1580 comments Mod
The bug reported in the original post should now be fixed.

message 25: by Brenda (b) (last edited Apr 13, 2013 01:06AM) (new)

Brenda (b) (Brenda_b) | 210 comments Kara wrote: "The bug reported in the original post should now be fixed."

Thank you Kara, I'll give it a try and see what happens.