Karen Chance Fans discussion

Diana Rowland
This topic is about Diana Rowland
Book Corner > Diana Rowland Discussion

Comments (showing 1-50 of 597) (597 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

Lannister (lannisteruk) | 11249 comments Mod
For discussion of the Kara Gillian series. And hot demons. And zombies.

BRAINZZZZZ!!

message 2: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

So I'm up to about 80%ish of the first book. I'm just past the place where Kara calls Rhyzkahl in her dreams and he's furious with her. She thinks he's killed Ryan, but it was only a dream.

I noticed that Rhyzkahl said something about Ryan along the lines of "that creature who doesn't know what he is" or something like that. I haven't got my Kindle with me and I can't remember the exact wording but that was the gist of it.

Obviously Rhyzkahl knows who Ryan is but we poor readers don't (at least, not on first read!)

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

No, but we can guess, especially with the way he has slight "Arcane" awareness, and the fact that Rhyzkahl (rhymes with PleaseCall) REALLY doesn't like him. So it seems that he has somehow offended the Demon, and not just cause Ryan's hanging around his woman. Also, you have to wonder at the "baby" FBI agent who is like Ryan's shadow - fellow agent or watchdog?

Oh, and actually the White Trash Zombie series wasn't all that bad. More like a little mystery series with BRAINZZZZZ!

message 4: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

Duane wrote: "Rhyzkahl (rhymes with PleaseCall)"

Ha, that's interesting. I say it more like Riz (rhymes with Liz) Kal (rhymes with pal). Does it actually give you pronunciations anywhere in the book? I think I started saying it this way and it just stuck.

On Zach, I'm sure it says more about him later in the books, but I can't remember the details.

I kinda liked that Rhyzkahl was raging with Kara and she had to remind herself that no matter how nice and how seductive he might seem, he was essentially an alien being with an entirely different set of values. It gives him a scary and unpredictable vibe.

I haven't read her other series. I just don't know if I'm into the whole zombie thing.

message 5: by Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (last edited Oct 23, 2012 04:41AM) (new)

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥  (mylheage) | 5743 comments Mod
This is from Diana Rowland's website.

It rhymes with "please call"! (And yes, I'm kicking myself for not actually writing that into the first book.)

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah is absolutely correct - that's where I saw it a couple of years ago. I had always pronounced it like Lannister indicated - Rizcall - now I find myself doing a "PleaseCall Rhyzkahl" every time I see his damn name in the book. Adds a lot of reading time to the book. LOL!

message 7: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

Ah thanks for that info! I couldn't remember reading it in the books and I don't think I've ever looked at Diana Rowland's web site.

Now I have to train myself to say it the proper way!

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments I'm just starting to re-read the book. It just struck me now that the reyza Kehlirik changed over the books from what we know of him in the first one.

message 9: by Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ (last edited Oct 23, 2012 01:40PM) (new)

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments I like the demons but I always get them mixed up in what they do or the power structure. Do you mind if I take notes here as I read?

Notes on demons
(view spoiler)

message 10: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 23, 2012 09:57AM) (new)

How do you mean changed? I believe he was the same in the second book and in fact he realized he still owed a debt to Kara, which was left over from the first book, which he did fulfill. He was devious in some of his actions, but not to Kara as this would be anathema to the demon's sense of honor.

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments I'm starting the re-reading so my memory is dim but I was under the impression that the first time we see him...he's all respectful and full of manners but after that he's more moody and talks with less care (library in book 2) and when Kara sees him in book 4?

message 12: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments LOL I don't remember catching anything in the first book. I think I was just too caught up with the developing world. I did remember thinking Ryan was "more than" what seemed . . . but I didn't think he was (view spoiler) until much later.

That's a good list Valerie! They are hard to keep track of.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

On Ryan (view spoiler)

message 14: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments Definitely Duane--I actually thought that was confirmed in a later book?

message 15: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

On Ryan (view spoiler)

Valerie, that's great info! Thanks for sharing that with everyone. It's really helpful.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

@Lannister - you are correct - (view spoiler)

message 17: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments I'm still all about my threesome theory :P

message 18: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 468 comments Threesome? Ooh, I'll have to start this series...LOL.

message 19: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

Zeenat wrote: "I'm still all about my threesome theory :P"

What's this threesome theory?? Is it Ryan/Kara/Rhyzkahl? Or maybe Ryan/Zach/Rhyzkahl?? Cos that would be fun!!

message 20: by Ann (last edited Oct 24, 2012 06:44AM) (new)

Ann (FlyingAnn) | 135 comments Duane wrote: "On Ryan [spoilers removed]"

It's book 4 where (view spoiler)

message 21: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments LOL My theory is kinda spoilerish but (view spoiler) My fantasy at least. I can't choose between ryan and Rhyzkahl! lol

message 22: by Claire (new)

Claire (Claire1) | 4511 comments Spoilers for next book:

(view spoiler)

message 23: by Ann (new)

Ann (FlyingAnn) | 135 comments Claire wrote: "Spoilers for next book:

[spoilers removed]"

I know! (view spoiler)

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments Ann wrote: "

I know! [spoilers removed]"

Yeah, those 3 chapters are making me salivate a lot. Is it January yet?

message 25: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments I want that 5th book so bad. January will be a great month for books!

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments I always wondered when Rhyzkahl knew about Kara. I'm re-reading the first book and lending meanings to what he says probably like when he says: "Oh, my dear Kara, you never fail to impress me!".

Valerie ~ Val Hall ~ | 1165 comments I wondered when it was decided that Zack takes a more active role in the story 'cause he is not glued to Ryan much in the first book. Just noticed.

message 28: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Davie (kathydavie) | 468 comments Book 4?? I have to read thru to book 4????

message 29: by Claire (new)

Claire (Claire1) | 4511 comments Yes, if you want the 5th book to make any sense at all.

I don't think Kara Gillian will ever be one of my top favorite series. I'm not participating in the reread. I don't know why, but something about the world and Kara didn't click with me. I still enjoy the books and plan to keep following the series, but I'm not dying waiting for the next book either.

message 30: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (scullyann02) | 8 comments I have sooo many series going right now that I am reading that rereading books before release dates is impossible for me! It is going to make the subtle nuances I will miss quite annoying for me. I love this series, and I have been waiting for...well, it seems forever, but doesn't it always? lol

message 31: by Ann (new)

Ann (FlyingAnn) | 135 comments Jennifer wrote: "It is going to make the subtle nuances I will miss quite annoying for me. I love this series, and I have been waiting for...well, it seems forever, but doesn't it always? "

My hope is that Diana will be clear enough that my memory will be jogged even if I haven't read in a while. Hopefully. :) At least with the important stuff.

message 32: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments Jennifer wrote: "I have sooo many series going right now that I am reading that rereading books before release dates is impossible for me! It is going to make the subtle nuances I will miss quite annoying for me. I..."

It depends on the series for me, and where in the series I am. Like if I think the series is okay and there are only a couple of books out, I don't have to reread. but like the last allie beckstrom novel is coming out, and I love the series, so I will have to start rereading it! lol

I don't remember any of the details from the kara gillian books, so I'm rereading them.

message 33: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (scullyann02) | 8 comments You are a better person than I! I just can't bear how many books are stacked in my TBR pile, and I feel I have to keep going! Lol
I forgot the New Allie was coming out by the way :)

message 34: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

Jennifer wrote: "I have sooo many series going right now that I am reading that rereading books before release dates is impossible for me! It is going to make the subtle nuances I will miss quite annoying for me. I..."

The main reason I'm rereading is that when book four came out, I felt I was missing out on a lot, cos I couldn't remember half the stuff from the earlier books and I felt like I would have got more out of the story if it was all fresh in my mind.

But, yeah, in general, I'd like to reread more often than I do, cos there's always something else coming out. At least if you're stuck trying to remember something when the new Kara Gillian book's out, you can always ask here, since we'll be all caught up! :D

message 35: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

Kathy wrote: "Book 4?? I have to read thru to book 4????"

Kathy, that's like a morning's work for you!! ;)

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

I sometimes re-read books due to a mood I'm in. If I'm in a down mood then I like to fall back on something I know just so I don't wind up further in the dumps. There's safety in the known.

message 37: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

I know exactly how you feel Duane. Rereading an old favourite is a like a big bowl of comfort food.

message 38: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments Plus rereading favorites, you know it will be good LOL!

message 39: by Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥ , Mircea's Moderatrix (last edited Oct 25, 2012 07:53AM) (new)

Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥  (mylheage) | 5743 comments Mod
I only reread certain scenes. I just have too many books in my TBR pile.

message 40: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments I do that sometimes Sarah. Like with the Cassie books, I have gone back and only read about a certain topic/person. Like scenes with Pritkin or Cassie's pythia using powers.

message 41: by Claire (new)

Claire (Claire1) | 4511 comments I do re-reads of old Anita Blake novels, the Cassie books and the Dory books, especially when I'm in a mood.

I don't do re-reads of books just to get ready for the next one though. Otherwise I'd never read anything new!

message 42: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

So has anyone started the second book yet? I've had quite a bit of time this weekend, so I'm nearly half way through the second, and I hope to get a chunk more reading done today (in the bath, where I'm heading soon after I type this!!)

One thing I noticed ... I'm not sure if this might get explained later in the book and I've just forgotten, but Kara has summoned Kehlrihk (sp?) and he's working on the wards in Tessa's library. She leaves him there overnight and she had to adjust her summoning spell so that he wouldn't be returned to the demon realm when it changed from night to day. She falls asleep and she dreams about Rhyzkahl and they're talking, then he says "This is going to be uncomfortable for you" and she wakes up and feels terrible, as the energies change from night to day. However, that night she summons Rhyzkahl and he says that their dream link was broken. So what was going on in her dream?

If she'd just being dreaming about hanging out with Rhyzkahl, I wouldn't have thought anything of it, but it was the fact that he knew she was going to feel bad with Kehlrihk's summoning energies before it happened. Even Kara didn't seem to know how bad she was going to feel.

As I said, it might get explained later, but I was wondering what's going on with this dream thing. Is Kara touching Rhyzkahl's dreams or what?

message 43: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm done with the second already. Her dream link - where she can just call him to the realm with intent - is broken. (view spoiler)

message 44: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments I forgot about it, until this morning so I started the second book this morning.

message 45: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

Thanks Duane, I obviously haven't got to the bit where it explains about the dreams yet.

I like the way more of the mystery about Ryan is slowly introduced, like the way he deals with the dog-like demon that attacks them at the diner, and Ryan makes the staff forget. And the fact that he's recognised by demons and gets called a Kik??? ..... whatever it was LOL! (Kara said it obviously meant asshole!)

There was a comment that interested me about 3/4s of the way through (just after Kara & Rhyzkahl do the deed again). I haven't read the teaser chapters for the new book yet, cos I wanted to be up to date with the story before I looked at them, but are there not hints floating around that Kara's past is important? I thought Diana Rowland had said something along those lines. In this scene Kara and Rhyzkahl are talking about the essence eater and he talks about how some humans are born with the gift to summon and some can feel arcane energy and so on. He says "You are all descended from the same source." It's probably nothing, but I wondered if that comment had any significance in light of hints about Kara's past and whatnot. Maybe they're all descended from demons originally? (Hell, for all I remember, it talks about this in later books, but I'm blanking!)

message 46: by Claire (new)

Claire (Claire1) | 4511 comments @Lannister I don't remember, but that's an interesting point. Kara's past is important, but I got the feeling that it was something she did rather than her ancestry.

message 47: by Zeenat (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments Well we know Kara defintely has some history with the demon realm because of the end of the last book. The demon who got her said it was her "old summoning chamber". So she's got some connection with the demon realm.

message 48: by Lannister, Lady 'Popcorn' Marlowe (new)

Ah, thanks Claire. I hadn't paid too much attention to any discussion about the new chapters, because I hadn't read them, but that comment stuck out at me and I just wondered. Kara wonders about it herself in the book, but she's got more important things to ask Rhyzkahl about, so she never goes back to it.

Maybe other hints will surface over the next couple of books now that I've noticed it!

message 49: by Zeenat (last edited Oct 28, 2012 12:05PM) (new)

Zeenat (zeekwon) | 6414 comments Rhyzkahl is sex on a stick, but I really enjoy the interplay between Ryan and Kara. There is something . . . so sweet about their romance. I just reread the text interplay, and Ryan asks "But you still love me forever and ever?" and she goes "Only out of pity. And only when you bring me donuts." It's just too cute.

message 50: by Claire (new)

Claire (Claire1) | 4511 comments @Lannister You should read the teaser chapters. As long as you vaguely remember what happened in the last book, you'll be fine. Rowland is being pretty vague about what's going on, I guess because Kara's still in the dark.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12