Barnes & Noble Nook discussion

Barnes & Noble Talk > B&N E-Mail: You Are Eligible for eBook Credits

Comments (showing 1-46 of 46) (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 29 comments Did anyone else get this email? Apparently several publishers are in the process of a settlement for an antitrust dispute about the price of ebooks for the time period of April 1, 2010 through May 21, 2012. If you are a B&N member, and purchased qualifying books from qualifying publishers, you will get some sort of credit per book sometime in the future. (B&N website has more details if you google...)

B&N members will receive an email.

All, I have to say...FINALLY! Someone figured out that paying over $10.00 for a digital product is just a tad ridiculous. I doubt it will improve prices in the long term, but I've purchased tons of books through B&N from all the publishers listed, and I'll be glad to get some credits on my account.

message 2: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Yep. I got one and say ditto.

message 3: by ★Meghan★ (new)

★Meghan★ (starinheaven) | 340 comments I also got one and am really happy as I have tons of ebooks that I have bought in this period of time. I am hoping it will be quite a bit of money especially since it will be going toward more books.

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly I got one! And I heard Kindle customers also got one.

message 5: by Jenna (last edited Oct 23, 2012 04:27AM) (new)

Jenna | 2 comments I recieved one, too. I was pretty excited when i got it! :) Did every B&N customer get one?

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 29 comments From the settlement site:

New York Times bestsellers: $1.32 per E-book. These include titles that were New York Times bestsellers at any time during the claim period.
Non-New York Times bestsellers titles: $0.30 per E-book. These E-books include any titles that were not New York Times bestsellers during the claim period.

I've purchased ALOT of books, so I'm hoping mine is a decent size too.

message 7: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (basketchik) | 74 comments I didn't get any emails from B&N yet, but like you all I have purchased a ton of ebooks...

message 8: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (basketchik) | 74 comments I just double checked my email and still nothing I'm going to contact B&N and see what the deal is

message 9: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) Sharon wrote: "I just double checked my email and still nothing I'm going to contact B&N and see what the deal is"

Are you a member?

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (basketchik) | 74 comments Sandra aka Sleo wrote: "Sharon wrote: "I just double checked my email and still nothing I'm going to contact B&N and see what the deal is"

Are you a member?"

yes

message 11: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (basketchik) | 74 comments I just sent B&N an email, will see what they say. Thanks for the information ladies

message 12: by Meghan (new)

Meghan O'Connor (ravencomeslaughing) | 20 comments My mom got the email but I didn't. Weird, considering I buy far more than she does...

message 13: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly "We're pleased to tell you that you are eligible for gift certificate credits thanks to recent legal settlements between States Attorneys General and three eBook publishers." From the email.

Maybe the people who didn't receive an email didn't receive one because they didn't purchase from the 3 publishers?

message 14: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (JJElizalde) I also got one. I suspect it's contingent on having purchased from all three publishers. With the amount of books I buy, I'd have been surprised if I didn't get the email.

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen (2noelle) I was wondering if someone could copy and paste the letter from B&N or send a link. Of course I haven't gotten an email from them, yet.

message 16: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (basketchik) | 74 comments I did in fact get an email from B&N it just went to my 2nd email address which is weird because I didn't think that I had that one on the account but apparently I have my primary and secondary email listed LOL

message 17: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnam911) Here's the e-mail I received ..

We're pleased to tell you that you are eligible for gift certificate credits thanks to recent legal settlements between States Attorneys General and three eBook publishers. Barnes & Noble was not a party to the settlements but as a NOOK® customer, you can take advantage of the benefits agreed to by the settling publishers.

Although we are required to notify you now of the settlements, there is nothing you need to do to receive the credits as you will receive them automatically in the form of an electronic gift certificate sent via email. Once the settlements' claim period ends, the Attorneys General will calculate the amount of your credits. If the Court gives final approval to the settlements, we expect to be able to send you your gift certificate in the first half of 2013.

Once you receive your gift certificate, you can register it on our website, www.bn.com, for up to one year. Once registered, no further action will be required on your part, and the certificate will have no expiration date and you can use it any time to shop the wide selection of great titles on bn.com.

You may prefer to receive a check instead of a gift certificate, or you may decide not to participate in this settlement at all. If you want to consider either of these options, we recommend that you review the steps you can take, as well as your rights, which are explained in the attached legal notice.

As always, we appreciate your business and thank you for being a valued NOOK and Barnes & Noble customer.

Sincerely,
Barnes & Noble

Benefits from an Attorney General E-books Settlement Fund
Para una notificación en Español, llamar o visitar nuestro website.
Records indicate that you are eligible for a payment from Settlements reached by the State Attorneys General with E-book publishers Hachette, HarperCollins, and Simon & Schuster. The Settlements resolve an antitrust lawsuit about the price of electronic books (“E-books”). Barnes & Noble has not been sued in this case. It is providing this notice as a service to its customers.

What the Settlements Provide
The Settlements create a $69 million fund for payments to consumers who purchased qualifying E-books from April 1, 2010 through May 21, 2012. If the Court approves the Settlements, eligible consumers like you will receive credits to your E-reader accounts. The credit can be used on any purchases of E-books or print books. The amount of your payment has been determined based on the qualifying E-book purchases identified by Barnes & Noble in your E-reader account.

How to Receive your Benefit
Because you are pre-qualified, you do not need to do anything at this time to receive your credit. If the Court approves the Settlements, you will receive another email letting you know how to activate your credit. Once you activate the credit, it will be applied to your account by Barnes & Noble. (If you bought E-books from more than one retailer, you may receive notices with different instructions about whether you will receive a credit or need to file a Claim Form for that retailer. You will have a separate claim for each retailer and you should follow the specific instructions from each one.)

You also have the option to receive a check instead of your credit. You can request a check by calling 1-866-621-4153, or going to the Settlement website listed below, and clicking on the Check Request Option link. Be sure to reference the Settlement ID number found at the bottom of this email.
The Settlement website is: www.EbooksAGSettlements.com
Your Other Rights
You can choose to exclude yourself from the Settlements and keep your right to sue on your own. If you exclude yourself, you can’t receive any benefits from the Settlements. If you don’t exclude yourself, you can submit objections about the Settlements.

Your written Exclusion Form or objections must be postmarked by December 12, 2012. Please visit the Settlement website for detailed information on how to submit a valid Exclusion Form or objection.

A separate lawsuit against two other publishers and Apple, Inc. continues and is set for a trial in 2013. Your rights in the separate suit are not affected by any action you take in regards to these Settlements. The Court will hold a hearing on February 8, 2013 at 10 a.m. to consider whether to approve the Settlements. You or your own lawyer may ask to appear and speak at the hearing.

For more detailed information:
Call 1-866-621-4153 or Visit www.EbooksAGSettlements.com
Settlement ID Number: BN_2484758308502

message 18: by Kia (new)

Kia | 31 comments I got it from B&N explaining that they weren't part of the lawsuit and another from amazon because it seems like they were.

when the dust settles we will all probably get at best enough for 1 book.

message 19: by Jeanine (new)

Jeanine (JJElizalde) If we're lucky....

message 20: by Kristin (new)

Kristin (KPlausky) | 57 comments I got the email too

message 21: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (basketchik) | 74 comments Very true Kia, but 1 book is better than none... My mom and I were talking about the very same thing the other night...

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen (2noelle) Donna wrote: "Here's the e-mail I received ..

We're pleased to tell you that you are eligible for gift certificate credits thanks to recent legal settlements between States Attorneys General and three eBook pub..."

Thanks Donna, I finally received my email from them last night. Thank you for posting the email.

message 23: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michellepotter) I think they are sending the emails out in waves. My husband, son, and I all received emails on different days. So don't be worried if you haven't gotten one, yet!

message 24: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (Lboyd5900attnet) | 360 comments I got one also, I haven't spent a lot on ebooks, so I'm not sure what my credits will be - but I will gladly take it!!

Yes, Amazon (Kindle) users got it as well, I asked my co-worker if she got one, she has a Kindle.

message 25: by WesAnna (new)

WesAnna | 9 comments How long before we actually see any credit though?

message 26: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (basketchik) | 74 comments I think I heard or read somewhere sometime in early 2013 but don't quote me on that

message 27: by Jim (last edited Oct 26, 2012 12:15PM) (new)

Jim | 38 comments Bullet points from the letter to answer a couple of question above:
- they expect to issue the credits in the first half of 2013.
- B&N isn't part of the lawsuit, but against publishers of books that B&N sells. B&N is just a bystander in this but is facilitating the communications. I would assume the same goes for Amazon, et. al.
- The amount you receive will be based on your ebook purchases from B&N (and Amazon I assume).

This is my opinion:
- don't get too excited about it. :-) The last time I received a check from a class action lawsuit it was for 59 cents. But if you bought a lot of ebooks the 50 cents or a dollar per book could still add up.

message 28: by Linda (new)

Linda Boyd (Lboyd5900attnet) | 360 comments That's right Jim, I'm glad this lawsuit is happening, but my portion will be a meager amount.

message 29: by Madilynn (new)

Madilynn Never got one.

message 30: by Jeffrey (last edited Mar 28, 2014 03:22PM) (new)

Jeffrey (jazzinator) | 1 comments (Bump) The credits are being disbursed this week from Amazon.com and BN.com. I was very pleasantly surprised to receive $200! The first class action where I actually received something of value!

message 31: by Cynthia (new)

Cynthia F. (goodreadscomsnflwr5501) | 13 comments I got $10 credit from Barnes and noble on wednesday

message 32: by Karen (new)

Karen (2noelle) I received $32 and was surprised that I only bought one NYT best seller. I am glad to have it :)

message 33: by Sandra (new)

Sandra  (Sleo) I got $90+!

message 34: by Thera (new)

Thera Lewis (Thera1) | 124 comments Got mine a few days ago.

message 35: by Maegan (new)

Maegan (maeganb) | 147 comments I got $12.91. I've already spent part of it.

message 36: by Phyllis (new)

Phyllis (PhyllisBrannin) I got mine, $100.00. Time to start shopping!

message 37: by Donna (new)

Donna | 126 comments I went to add a gift card and found I had a balance of $134.00 wow. Books and more books. I can't read that fast. :-)

So, I Read This Book Today (LeiahinGolden) | 65 comments I bought a new Nook HD+ with mine. I LOVE this thing! It has shelves to put your books on (Kindle doesn't) and the screen is so large, I LOVE IT. The keys on the "keyboard" are larger, and watching a movie on it was pure pleasure.

If you don't know, and you have a big credit - you CAN buy a new Nook with your rebate. If you go into the store, just make sure you have your ORIGINAL EMAIL with you - they will need the bar code.

It was pretty funny, I went in with my Kindle, they scanned my email from the Kindle screen, and I walked out with a new Nook! The clerk found it hysterical, LOL

message 39: by Donna (new)

Donna | 126 comments Got mine....

message 40: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mgauffant) | 86 comments $.073 cents!!

message 41: by Christina (new)

Christina (RegalLadySnow) | 15 comments $6.34 cents. A whole book.

So, I Read This Book Today (LeiahinGolden) | 65 comments Better than no book at all! I wonder if mine was so large because I bought a Nook for myself and one for my friend for a birthday present?

message 43: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (mgauffant) | 86 comments I usually download free books or borrow from the library, which is why I'm sure mine was so tiny.
I'll take it though..no complaints here :)

message 44: by Nina (new)

Nina (MarshNina) | 60 comments Got mine in the last couple of weeks, $38. Already spent on some of the books I had on my wish list.

message 45: by Missyb (new)

Missyb | 221 comments So, I Read This Book Today wrote: "Better than no book at all! I wonder if mine was so large because I bought a Nook for myself and one for my friend for a birthday present?"

It was not for e-readers or related products, just the e-books. It had to do with a lawsuit brought about for publishers "fixing" the prices on the e-books.

So, I Read This Book Today (LeiahinGolden) | 65 comments Missyb wrote: "So, I Read This Book Today wrote: "Better than no book at all! I wonder if mine was so large because I bought a Nook for myself and one for my friend for a birthday present?"

It was not for e-rea..."

Well then, I must have bought more books than I thought! LOL

Shhhh - Don't tell anyone! ;-)