Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Don't display edition names in book list

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by E (new)

E | 3 comments I just signed up in the hope to find a service that's better suitable for my needs than LibraryThing. Design-wise, that's certainly the case. The import of my LT books did not go smooth at all (wrong character encodings, missing data, unrecognized columns, ...) but I know that this stuff is inherently difficult and at least as much of a problem on LT's side than here at Goodreads. Anyway, I ended up deleting my import and will try again semi-manually.

My first impressions/suggestions:

(1) The first thing that I would really like to see changed here at Goodreads is the manner in which book titles are displayed on my shelf. I really don't want to see "... (Paperback)" or "... (Hardcover)" or "... (Popular Classics Series)" or "... (Special Harper Perennial 25th Anniversary Gold Edition)" appended to the book titles in that list because this is no useful information in my view. It shouldn't matter whether I have read the hardcover or the paperback edition.

(2) Likewise, the year my edition of the book was published doesn't matter as much as when the first edition was published because the latter actually gives me a useful piece of information about the book. (This is less so for non-fiction books). Thankfully, Goodreads displays the original publication date on the books detail page. I'd like to be able to display it as a column in the book list, too.

message 2: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Otis Chandler | 4184 comments Mod
Thanks for your feedback! LibraryThing should import pretty well, but the xls imports better than the csv. Email us your file if you want us to look at it (support at goodreads dot com)

1. I actually kind of agree with you here. The reason we have this here was purely to not lose series information, which is also usually in parenthesis. However we recently found a better way of display that using some smarter regular expressions, so I will, unless I hear an argument against it, make that change.

2. The list view does use the original publication year if we have one.

message 3: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2048 comments Otis wrote: The reason we have this here was purely to not lose series information, which is also usually in parenthesis. However we recently found a better way of display that using some smarter regular expressions, so I will, unless I hear an argument against it, make that change.

As long as series info doesn't go poof, I'm all for it.

message 4: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Doesn't bother me one way or the other, except that if I see something that shouldn't be there (like "Popular Classics Series), I can be inspired to go in and delete it. If I don't see it, that won't happen :).

message 5: by E (last edited Feb 17, 2009 03:24AM) (new)

E | 3 comments Otis wrote: "so I will, unless I hear an argument against it, make that change."

Thanks, Otis. Much appreciated.

message 6: by E (new)

E | 3 comments SF SQRL wrote: "if I see something that shouldn't be there (like "Popular Classics Series), I can be inspired to go in and delete it. "

That would be fine if I could edit book titles. But I can't. Am I missing something obvious here?

message 7: by Debbie (new)

Debbie Moorhouse GoodReads Librarians can edit titles, and other information. New members can apply to be librarians once they've amassed fifty books (iirc).

message 8: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tmitche2) | 21 comments It would be nice if we could have the series sortable in its own column.

message 9: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2048 comments Tommy wrote: "It would be nice if we could have the series sortable in its own column."

A more efficient way of dealing with series is being worked on. You'd have to ping Otis to see how far off it is.

message 10: by BJ (new)

BJ | 105 comments The "paperback" etc. I agree with, but some editions of books actually have different content so that makes a difference.

I had asked about "An Exhalation of Larks" here before. The version from the 60's is a fraction of the size of the newer editions, enough that I had wondered if it should be listed separately. And of course the "Super Special Titanium Edition" may have different introductions, commentaries, etc.

message 11: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 521 comments I'm guessing some kind of change was made re: the original person's suggestions...

...and I was just going through my bookshelf and noticed some books are missing series info in parenthesis while it's showing on others. The ones missing it still actually have the info, it's just no longer showing up in My Books. (this book is an example)

message 12: by Brenda (b) (new)

Brenda (b) (Brenda_b) | 210 comments Isis, I noticed that the series info is missing on some of the titles of books listed on author's pages too, but it shows on the individual book's page though. A quick guess on my part after doing an edit on a title, I think whether it shows up is linked to when the title was last editted.

message 13: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2048 comments Series information is still missing in some cases, but not in others. May we inquire what the "smarter regular expression" you are using is?

Are you looking for anything other than the name of a series and the book number? Do you need the keyword "series" or "book" or a certain type of punctuation within the parenthesis?

message 14: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 521 comments mlady_rebecca wrote: "Series information is still missing in some cases, but not in others. May we inquire what the "smarter regular expression" you are using is?

Are you looking for anything other than the name of a s..."

The only thing it seemed like to me is that series info added a while ago ISN'T showing up, while stuff that has been edited more recently IS. But that's a guess.

message 15: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2048 comments I edited some books tonight, and the series information isn't showing up correctly. I don't believe there is any caching period with book name changes.

message 16: by Kathrynn (new)

Kathrynn | 517 comments It appears, in most instances that the series information doesn't show until/unless a specific book is clicked on...hope this is a temporary snaffu and gets fixed fairly quickly.

Some new series info, seems to show up right away...but not consistently.

message 17: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

Can you please give any example (url) that shows a good example?

message 18: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 521 comments Otis, if you look at this shelf of mine, almost all of the books just show title. But if you click on an individual book, it shows series and number after the title.

message 19: by mlady_rebecca (last edited Mar 02, 2009 07:51PM) (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2048 comments If you need another example, my 2009 shelf has examples of showing, and failing to show, the series names. In the review view, the information is missing. In the cover view, the information is available in the pop-up.

The books missing the series information are: "The Enchantments of Flesh and Spirit", "The Bewitchments of Love and Hate", and "The Fulfilments of Fate and Desire", all by Storm Constantine.

message 20: by Otis, Chief Goodreader (new)

I found a fix for all those - thanks so much for pointing them out Isis and mlady!

message 21: by jenjn79 (new)

jenjn79 | 521 comments Thanks, Otis...most of mine seem to be showing series info now. I've come across a few that still didn't, but they all seem to be ones that don't have a series number included, just a series label. I'll just have to get those fixed to include a number ;)

message 22: by mlady_rebecca (new)

mlady_rebecca | 2048 comments Thanks Otis. Looks good.