Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

2345 views
Questions > Becoming a Librarian

Comments (showing 1-50 of 123) (123 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenniferNeyhart) | 0 comments How long does it usually take to be accepted to be a librarian?


message 2: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments It can take up to several business days though.


message 3: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Dutch wrote: "Yes, it can. I remember someone once telling me she had been waiting several days before she was accepted."

Obviously, not everyone is accepted.


message 4: by Kat (new)

Kat (KatsObsession) | 8 comments I'm still waiting to be told if I was accepted or not. I applied on Friday I believe.


message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenniferNeyhart) | 0 comments thanks guys - do you know what makes them accept you or not accept you other than having enough books rated?


message 6: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Conlon (hmaudec) | 1 comments i wish i knew what to write on my application :(


message 7: by Banjomike (last edited Oct 28, 2012 04:24PM) (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Hannah wrote: "Hannah Conlon (hmaudec) | 1 comments i wish i knew what to write on my application :( "

On your application you should just try writing the reasons why you want to be a librarian. You must have something in mind. You don't get a T-shirt or anything. I'm sure that many people just want to be one just because it is there. Just list your reasons and see what happens. If you don't have any reasons then don't apply until you have.


message 8: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (coffeeshopreviews) | 1 comments I've been waiting over a week, so I put in another request. At times, my computer has gremlins that I swear block random things I do!

My question is, how do you know when you've been accepted as a librarian? Do you get an e-mail?


message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula (Paulaan) | 7019 comments No email but "GR Librarian" appears on your user profile although I don't know about Author profiles, it used to display a GR librarian tag but I don't remember seeing one recently.

But as an GR author you already have limited librarian rights over your own books.


message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32666 comments Mod
Actually, if one is accepted as a librarian, one does receive an email so notifying.


message 11: by Michelle (new)

Michelle Scott (coffeeshopreviews) | 1 comments Paula wrote: "But as an GR author you already have limited librarian rights over your own books."

I think 'limited' might be the key word. I want to add my latest book to a series, but I can't do that. I do have friends who are librarians; however, I'd like to be able to do it myself :)

Thanks for that, Rivka. I'll keep an eye on my inbox!


Alex is The Romance Fox (wwwaromancefoxblogspotcom) I was invited to join the group and I accepted the invitation last week but haven't received any email confirming my application....so I presume that I was not accepted ....how else do i find out?
thx


message 13: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 32666 comments Mod
This group is public and open to all Goodreads members. Joining this group does not constitute an application to become a librarian.

Have you applied? http://www.goodreads.com/help/show/15...


Alex is The Romance Fox (wwwaromancefoxblogspotcom) thanks rivka for answering my query.


message 15: by Agata (new)

Agata (agathaM) | 5 comments I've applied few days ago and still nothing. I really want to be a librarian because I want to add many Polish editions of books and combine them with originals. It would be easier for me to add and combine than add and ask someone to combine it for me.


message 16: by Micaela (new)

Micaela Ramos (micaelaramos) | 8 comments You will have to wait a little more. Apply again and send these same words you said here. You will be a librarian in a few days. But you have to wait. I waited for weeks.

Luck for you!


message 17: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments Also, staff does not work on the weekends. Therefore if you applied Thursday or Friday, it will take longer.


message 18: by Agata (new)

Agata (agathaM) | 5 comments I'll wait then. Thanks guys :)


message 19: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Agata wrote: "I've applied few days ago and still nothing. I really want to be a librarian because I want to add many Polish editions of books and combine them with originals. It would be easier for me to add an..."

According to your Librarian Edits log you made your first edits last Thursday!


message 20: by Agata (new)

Agata (agathaM) | 5 comments I am a librarian :D yeeey. I've added two books and combined them with originals. I have a goal to add at least 3-5 books a day! :)


message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenniferNeyhart) | 0 comments I don't understand why they are not accepting me as a librarian.


message 22: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Jennifer wrote: "I don't understand why they are not accepting me as a librarian."

It isn't something that people automatic get. If it was then they would simply make all new members librarians or make everyone a librarian after they have been a member for, say, six months.


message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (JenniferNeyhart) | 0 comments I understand that, but I don't understand what additional criteria they are using to select librarians.


message 24: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 06, 2012 02:02PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments Agata wrote: "I am a librarian :D yeeey. I've added two books and combined them with originals. I have a goal to add at least 3-5 books a day! :)"

Psst...watch this group's foreign language threads in case there are requests for help specifically with Polish editions. Maybe someone knows how to search for only the Polish language editions in the onging unknown titles and unknown authors lists?

Info Thread http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...


Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments I have a personal suspicion that if help requests on these threads started taking a long time to fulfill, that might be a good time to apply for librarian status.


message 26: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Deborah (Debbie Rice) wrote: "I have a personal suspicion that if help requests on these threads started taking a long time to fulfill, that might be a good time to apply for librarian status."

Makes perfect sense. The problem with that is that the current bunch of librarians (and super librarians and employees) do a very good job on the front lines. Many requests are dealt with within minutes. The remainder rarely take more than a day. Very few companies with huge call centres full of paid staff can match that.

Yay, us.


message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Agata wrote: "I am a librarian :D yeeey. I've added two books and combined them with originals. I have a goal to add at least 3-5 books a day! :)"

Agata,
można zapoznać się z tego wątku.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Złożyłem prośbę o zmianę opisu Bieguni Olgi Tokarczuk, ale podejrzewam, marszałek Polski mogą czuć się bardziej komfortowo robiąc je.

Niestety, mój polski nie jest tak dobry. Nauczyłem się go na chwilę, ale to jest żenujące, jak wiele błędów robię. :D

Dziękuję


message 28: by Agata (new)

Agata (agathaM) | 5 comments someone already did that I think :)


message 29: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 07, 2012 04:02AM) (new)

Yeah, Cait did it. Thanks :). Just thought someone who can actually read Polish might be more comfortable with the edits.

Myślę, że wyślę Ci wiadomość, jeśli potrzebujesz więcej pomocy z polskimi książkami. Jeśli to jest w porządku?


message 30: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Siiri wrote: "Myślę, że wyślę Ci wiadomość, jeśli potrzebujesz więcej pomocy z polskimi książkami. Jeśli to jest w porządku?"

Generally speaking we (librarians) tend to communicate though the Librarians Group unless privacy is called for. One advantage of using this group is that a discussion will often start up around a request or suggestion that will then become policy because it gets discussed. Just a thought.


message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Banjomike wrote: "Generally speaking we (librarians) tend to communicate though the Librarians Group unless privacy is called for. One advantage of using this group is that a discussion will often start up around a request or suggestion that will then become policy because it gets discussed. Just a thought. "

Sorry, if I did the wrong thing. I have no problem with posting openly here, or in English :) I wanted to make sure that a native speaker catches some possibles mistakes.

I have not added yet Estonian books to my shelves, and have not decided if I really should (does not make much sense here I think), but even if it´s only a copy & paste job from another website I surely would like to see that it is done properly and at least from someone who can read the language.

Again, sorry if I have upset anyone :)


message 32: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Siiri wrote: "Sorry, if I did the wrong thing. I have no problem with posting openly here, or in English :) I wanted to make sure that a native speaker catches some possibles mistakes.

I have not added yet Estonian books to my shelves, and have not decided if I really should (does not make much sense here I think), but even if it´s only a copy & paste job from another website I surely would like to see that it is done properly and at least from someone who can read the language.

Again, sorry if I have upset anyone :) "


I'm sure you upset no-one.

My response was only to point out that most librarians see requests for help in this and in other groups and pick up the ones that suit their particular interests and abilities.

Many librarians are fluent in more than just English and there are whole groups for some languages (like Arabic) where Arabic speaking librarians hang out and help their fellow speakers with adding books and fixing other problems. There might be similar groups for Polish, Estonian, or any other language or ethnic group or religion.

Add your Estonian books, and any others you find, to Goodreads. If you have any problems then post in this group and someone will help. Even someone who isn't fluent in the appropriate language will give it a try.


message 33: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Nov 07, 2012 12:09PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments Banjomike wrote: "..... The problem with that is that the current bunch of librarians (and super librarians and employees) do a very good job on the front lines. Many requests are dealt with within minutes. The remainder rarely take more than a day. Very few companies with huge call centres full of paid staff can match that..."

LOL, I said "if" a delay started showing not that there was one; currently I seldom respond to help requests without tripping over another librarian already completing. Unless something really odd needing research, gr staff or super-librarian—I've not seen anything not resolved in 10 monutes.


message 34: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Deborah (Debbie Rice) wrote: "LOL, I said "if" a delay started showing not that there was one; currently I seldom respond to help requests without tripping over another librarian already completing. Unless something really odd needing research, gr staff or super-librarian—I've not seen anything not resolved in 10 monutes. "

I think I knew what you meant (you have just confirmed it) but I thought it needed saying anyway.


message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

@Banjomike, thanks for the mail. I appreciate the longish explanation and can fully understand now the reasons behind. Which wasn´t really clear to me before when reading your comment (#34).

I did not and do not want to cause some troubles nor do I want to use someone as my "personal" librarian. Sorry if it did look that way.

I respect the rules and will certainly follow them, and listen to those of you with years of experience how Goodreads works best for all.


message 36: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments iLoveBooks wrote: "I submitted my librarian application weeks ago and have still not gotten a reply. What do I do? I resent the application but it seems like it's not going to accept for another several weeks."

What do you do? Ignore the whole thing, get on with enjoying Goodreads. Try again, if you feel the need, when you think that you can persuade them. I wonder why so many people reapply almost immediately. Is it because they think that the PTB have missed their first application?


message 37: by Paul (new)

Paul | 2 comments If you are rejected as a librarian for whatever reason, do they tell you or is your application just silently rejected?


message 38: by Banjomike (last edited Dec 05, 2012 01:37PM) (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Paul wrote: "If you are rejected as a librarian for whatever reason, do they tell you or is your application just silently rejected?"

From other people's postings it seems that you would get an acceptance email or nothing at all.


message 39: by Asha (new)

Asha Seth (ashaseth) | 1 comments Hi everyone, this question has long been in my mind. What are the benefits of being a Goodreads Librarian? How do you go about becoming one?

I was reading the comments fellow-readers have made in this section and it seems there is an application to fill. If yes, can someone help me to know how and where do I apply?

-Asha

-Asha


message 41: by Maria (new)

Maria (Neraida) | 1 comments I would like also to add bulgarian editions of books. I've made an application about 2 weeks ago but I didn't get an answer. Should I make a new application?


message 42: by vicki_girl (new)

vicki_girl | 2765 comments If all you're doing is adding books, you don't need to be a librarian. Anyone (with a verified email I believe) can add books. If you want to be able to combine with other editions or edit existing Bulgarian books, then you should probably state that in your application (if you re-apply). Just wanting to add books, which anyone can do, is probably not sufficient reason to get librarian status.


message 43: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments Asha wrote: "What are the benefits of being a Goodreads Librarian? "

Benefits? None, really. It can mean a lot of hard work. No T-shirts, long hours, lousy holidays, no medical plan! Don't know why we bother.


message 44: by MissJessie (new)

MissJessie | 872 comments And very darn few thanks from tPTB either !!

It would seem that a refusal of an application, even if just a form, would be minimally polite. Ignoring people's good faith applications is pretty rude, actually.


message 45: by lafon حمزة (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 3557 comments Banjomike wrote: "Benefits? None, really. It can mean a lot of hard work. No T-shirts, long hours, lousy holidays, no medical plan! Don't know why we bother."

We have fun . I would like a t-shirt that says Goodreads Super-librarian though.


message 46: by Banjomike (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments I was just being sarcastic. Benefits? Right!

Asha and Maria - I'm a librarian because messing with books is very near the top of my list of fun things to do. No other reason. If you don't want to be a librarian for the same reason then don't apply.


message 47: by Banjomike (last edited Dec 10, 2012 12:31PM) (new)

Banjomike | 5524 comments lafon حمزة wrote: "We have fun . I would like a t-shirt that says Goodreads Super-librarian though. "

That would be a VERY limited edition.

EDIT: also my natural Internet paranoia would prevent me from handing over my address so that GR could send me one.


message 48: by Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) (last edited Dec 10, 2012 01:24PM) (new)

Debbie's Spurts (D.A.) | 2 comments Banjomike wrote: "Don't know why we bother..."

We love books! Or are OCD and typos just drive us whonkers.

Or so fussy and meticulous about how we catalogue our own closets/plastic-tubs/bookshelves/etc. full of books that in order to do so at goodreads we had to work to make sure their database was accurate. For some of us even those old ratty out-of-print books are like old friends we don't want to see taken advantage of by inaccurate book pages.

[I need to go get a life, LOL, right after I deal with my furbaby's hairball from hell!]


message 49: by Ellie (new)

Ellie Loredan (ellieloredan) | 106 comments Debbie (Debbie Rice) wrote: [I need to go get a life, LOL, right after I deal with my furbaby's hairball from hell!]

Aaah, no! Come on, who needs a life or other occupations as long as there are virtual shelves to stack and virtual books to adore and tend to. So please excuse me while I save some of my neglected German friends ... the virtual ones with the pages, of course. I think I might have lost the other ones that had some connection to the alien concept of "life" somewhere along the way. They just didn't fit into the database.


message 50: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 3 comments Hi there,

I became a librarian because I wanted to upload cover pictures for books when I came across them. I fear I'm not as active as some folks, but there you go. Have a great day.


« previous 1 3
back to top