Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

RRR Discussions & Top-Lists > DC: Geeky but sexy

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Who said being "brainy" is not sexy?

Nerds, geeks, absent-minded professors, computer geniuses - not typical heroes material, but with the right author, and the right circumstances, they can as easily sweep the heroine off her feet, that is, if they don't stumble on theirs..LOL..

List heroes that fall under this category, and will see how many we can come up with.

message 2: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments MacAllister "Mac" Booke
Heaven and Earth by Nora Roberts
Three Sisters Island trilogy

The Indiana Jones of the paranormal, Mac has a PHD in "crapola" as Ripley would call it. Tall, lean and sexy, our absent-minded researcher can get excited over his work, forgets to eat, bump into things, and steps on sharp objects.

But he is also, supersmart, insightful, and charming, and can melt the heart of a stubborn, in-denial, witch.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) There are Indiana Jones books based on the trilogy. Dr. Jones is one sexy professor! lol

Sarah ~Sehrenity~ | 367 comments Maybe it's more urban fantasy than PNR, but I kind of like Quinton from Kat Richardson's Greywalker series. His role perked up a bit in the last book, Underground. He's a computer programmer and conspiracy theorist extraodinaire.

I also like Pritkin in the Cassie Palmer books by Karen Chance. He's a mega mage with all kinds of archane knowledge of the underworld (just not vampires!).

message 5: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1239 comments Nobody named all the Vicki Lewis Thompson books! She's got a whole series of hottie nerds turned hero. Nerd in Shining Armor, The Nerd Who Loved Me, Nerd Gone Wild, Gone With the Nerd, Talk Nerdy to Me, My Nerdy Valentine. I enjoyed them. They were fun and fast reads.

message 6: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Melissa,

Those books sounds interesting. I will be looking into them. I like hottie nerds, and fun and fast reads are great to interspersed with the more dark and serious books.

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1239 comments They are light, romantic suspense. They are cute. I didn't love them, but I read them all so something kept me going back for more! She has a short story in an anthology called Behind Red Doors that I loved and that made me pick up her other books.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Melissa wrote: "Nobody named all the Vicki Lewis Thompson books! She's got a whole series of hottie nerds turned hero. Nerd in Shining Armor, The Nerd Who Loved Me, Nerd Gone Wild, Gone With the Nerd, Talk Nerdy..."

I think somewhere I acquired Nerd in Shining Armor but havn't read it yet. If memory serves it looked as if the couple drawn on the cover were stranded on a desert island.

message 9: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 1239 comments That sounds about right. The way the books go is the main characters find themselves quickly in some absurd situation that they take the whole book to get out of. There are LOTS of distractions along the way wink wink.

message 10: by Annie (new)

Annie (themadnessofhamsters) Going back in history - on my shelves is an old Harlequin by Gina Wilkins - A stroke of genius.
Female-wise, there's Irene from Shelly Laurenston's novella "Miss Congeniality" in When he was bad.

message 11: by Julianna (last edited Apr 04, 2009 07:48PM) (new)

Julianna (AuthorJuliannaD) | 1556 comments Geek heroes rank right up there with virgin heroes on the hotness scale for me.;-) Of course the ultimate brainiac hero in my book is Vishous from Lover Unbound. He may not quite be the typical geek, but his brain is one of the hottest things about him to me. Here are a couple of others that come to mind.

Simon Brant (The Real Deal by Lucy Monroe) - He has the ultimate geek brain packaged in a sinfully hot body.

Cole Amherst (A Woman Scorned by Liz Carlyle) - On the outside he's the uptight scholarly type, but there's a whole lot of passion lurking beneath the surface.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 350 comments I very much agree with you about geeky heroes and virgin heroes, Julie. :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 350 comments Andrew from The Defiant One by Danelle Harmon is an inventor. He's definitely a nerd in a good way. Very sexy too.

message 14: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Julie (Mom2lnb) wrote: "Geek heroes rank right up there with virgin heroes on the hotness scale for me.;-) Of course the ultimate brainiac hero in my book is Vishous from Lover Unbound. He may not quite be the typical gee..."

I'm with you on this one:: Vishous definitely::there 's also Gideon from Lara Adrians midnight breeds::

message 15: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (ielfling) I don't know if he exactly fits the category, but I always liked Andy, the unlikely hero of Barbara Michaels' Vanish with the Rose. He's clumsy, he wears the knees out in his jeans - he, and not the hunky gardener, unexpectedly turns out to be the smart and funny hero - and he has a massive soft spot for abandoned pets that makes him particularly likeable.

message 16: by LibraryLass (new)

LibraryLass | 772 comments Have to now add [Book: Vision in white] by [Author: Nora Roberts]

message 17: by LibraryLass (new)

LibraryLass | 772 comments I'm with you on this one:: Vishous definitely::there 's also Gideon from Lara Adrians midnight breeds::

Which one of Lara Adrians breeds books is Gideon in??

message 18: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I think Gideon is the computer genius. He is already mated even at the beginning of the series.

message 19: by Annvelwis (new)

Annvelwis | 671 comments I think Hot Shot by Susan Elizabeth Phillips has two geeky heroes (one is more geeky than oter, but both are hot).

message 20: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Annvelwis wrote: "I think Hot Shot by Susan Elizabeth Phillips has two geeky heroes (one is more geeky than oter, but both are hot)."

Hmm..that's an SEP book I haven't read yet. I will be adding that to my TBR list. Thanks for suggesting it, Annvelwis.

message 21: by Annvelwis (new)

Annvelwis | 671 comments Yz wrote: "Hmm..that's an SEP book I haven't read yet. I will be adding that to my TBR list. Thanks for suggesting it, Annvelwis. "

You're welcome. Although I must warn you it's not my fav SEP book ;)

message 22: by Arch (new)

Arch Wow, I'm late to this thread. I love nerds. This thread should have pop out at me.

Dave Malkoff is my sexy nerd.

message 23: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Arch wrote: "Wow, I'm late to this thread. I love nerds. This thread should have pop out at me.

Dave Malkoff is my sexy nerd."

Despite his "James Bond" ways in the latest book..LOL!

message 24: by Arch (new)

Arch Dave Malkoff proved that he's truly a Troubleshooter operative. Which, he proved that in Flashpoint.

Sophia is lucky to have such a great guy like Dave.

message 25: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments I concur on that, Arch, even though I haven't read Flashpoint yet.

I'm bad...I've read all the latest books plus the first two and is trying to work myself to the middle of the series.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 350 comments Yz I will probably do the same. I'm not that interested in some of the books. I'd like to read Cosmo's book and the ones with Dave and Sam and Alyssa's new books. And I am still waiting for Jazz's book.

message 27: by Arch (new)

Arch My first book was Gone Too Far and I am so happy it was. Sam and Alyssa are my favorite couple. Dave and Sophia comes in second.

message 28: by Arch (new)

Arch Danielle,

It would be nice if Jazz gets his book next. He better not be last in getting his book.

message 29: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Since I did not start from the beginning, the first time I met Sam and Alyssa, they are already an established couple. Still I enjoy them very much, especially when they deal with Jules, who is another fave character of mine.

I guess, overall, I just like reading about the whole bunch because its like hanging out with such cool individuals.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 350 comments I started with The Defiant Hero (is that Tom's book?) I fell in love with the world. I guess the newest stories havent' felt as compelling to me. But then I fell in love with paranormal so most contemps don't have the umph for me like a paranormal novel.

Yes, Arch. We will throw a party when SB finally writes Jazz's book.

message 31: by Arch (new)

Arch LOL, if Sam lovers had a chance to hang out with the group, I think that Alyssa would probably have to demonstrate her sharpshooter skills in the front of them.

message 33: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments LOL...what can we say? That is one gorgeous hunk of a man she has...can't blame the ladies..LOL

message 34: by Arch (last edited Jun 30, 2009 07:28PM) (new)

Arch Yeah. Sam would wear a shirt that has bold letters that reads, "I'm Alyssa's!"

Of course, he would wear the shirt with jeans and cowboy books. Looking delicious. Should the women read the shirt or pretend they can't read?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 350 comments I wouldn't want Alyssa kicking my butt. I'd admire him from afar.

message 36: by Yz the Whyz, Moderator (new)

Yz the Whyz (whyz) | 9327 comments Good advice, Danielle. Wouldn't want to get shot or anything. Hmm...any unattached sexy SEAL still floating around?

message 37: by Arch (new)

Arch YZ,

Lopez is still unattached.

message 38: by tosca (new)

tosca (catatonichataholic) | 742 comments Howdy! I haven't been here in about 2 or 3 months and I miss it :( I hope to be back once work's not so full on :) I'm looking for book suggestions where the hero wears glasses. Definitely has to wear glasses (a late fetish for me, perhaps?) Any and ALL suggestions welcome :0)

message 39: by [deleted user] (new)

A Royal Pain by Mary Davidson

message 40: by Jane (PS), Moderator (new)

Jane (PS) | 13975 comments Pretty much all of Amanda Quick's stories are centred around a brainiac of some description - Affair (Baxter wears glasses), Deception (Jared wears an eye patch) and Mischief specially spring to mind.

The other historical romance I loved, almost by surprise, was Cotillion by Georgette Heyer. Freddy Standen is a most unlikely hero.

Another scientist hero novel I recently read was High Energy by Dara Joy. He's a physics professor but I don't think he wears glasses.