The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > Anne of Green Gables

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Open discussion for Anne of Green Gables, and the other 7 books in the series.

1. Anne of Green Gables
2. Anne of Avonlea
3. Anne of the Island
4. Anne of Windy Poplars
5. Anne's House of Dreams
6. Anne of Ingleside
7. Rainbow Valley
8. Rilla of Ingleside

message 2: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) LOVE THEM! I think the first and last are my two favorites.

Although, I admit...I hate reading letters, so I have never actually read Anne of Windy Poplars.

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) I want to go to PEI so bad! My parents go RVing a lot, and they have talked to several other retired couples that have been there and rave about it.

*sigh* Plus...there is always a chance I could run into Gilbert Blythe ;-)

message 4: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Yeah I saw them...

The part where she goes off and teaches at that school? Yeah um...she taught in Anne of Windy Poplars when she was already engaged..but basically that part is totally bogus, lol.

So the movie veers off so much, it is REALLY hard to compare it at all. Anne and Gilbert were actually both away at college in Book #3, Anne of the Island...pre-Anne growing a brain and falling in love with him. The basic "him-chasing-her" premise is correct.

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments Some of my absolute faves from childhood...The Anne books and The Secret Garden are what started it all for me...since reading them in the 5th grade I have never been without a book to read!

message 6: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I can't wait to read these books. I actually am going to read them during my vacation which starts on Saturday!!

message 7: by Lynai (new)

Lynai I had an Anne Series reading marathon for the past month and finally I finished the last book in the series last week. It was a very enjoyable and engaging read. I even became teary-eyed on some parts of Rilla of Ingleside. Right now, I'm in the look out for the Emily series. :)

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I read these books when I was 10-13. (14-11 years ago) Oddly enough I just reread Anne of Windy Poplars a couple of weeks ago to get out of my reading slump. It helped enormously. I loved the books as a kid and my sister and I watched the first two movies repeatedly. I loved them. About 6 years a go I happened to catch a marathon of them on PBS and was disappointed by how far they veered off from the books. What was all that about her searching battle grounds to find Gilbert? Or am I confusing it with something else? I'm not sure anymore it was awhile ago. But those books were my first introduction to almost adult literature and I will always love them.

I read the Emily books when I was in highschool, they are pretty good. They follow her usual formula, but I liked them anyway. I recently read Kilmeny of the Orchard, man was that one...weird...I don't know how I feel about it yet...

message 9: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Yeah...that Continuing Story movie was crap...totally not the books at all.

message 10: by Maria (new)

Maria (minks05) | 481 comments i love the Anne series. i wasn't overly thrilled with the last one though. i think my favorites were the third and fourth books, with the fifth right behind those.

i got the whole set of movies last year for christmas. i really enjoy the 1st two, but wasn't too thrilled with the third one. it didn't follow the books at all, which really annoyed me.

i hadn't given any thought to going back and re-reading the series, but maybe it's something i'll have to consider doing!

message 11: by Maria (new)

Maria (minks05) | 481 comments i love the Anne series. i wasn't overly thrilled with the last one though. i think my favorites were the third and fourth books, with the fifth right behind those.

i got the whole set of movies last year for christmas. i really enjoy the 1st two, but wasn't too thrilled with the third one. it didn't follow the books at all, which really annoyed me.

i hadn't given any thought to going back and re-reading the series, but maybe it's something i'll have to consider doing!

message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz (arcanepenguin) | 285 comments About a year ago I listened to the entire series as audio books at work.

There is a certain magic to these books that so many more recent books seem to lack.

message 13: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn I fell in love with the movies first, and then read the books. The third movie is horrible, but I love the first two even if "Avonlea" really doesn't match the books too well except in the general premise. I felt that it at least captured the essence of the film and, frankly, I was glad for more of the Anne/Gilbert romance than was in the books! :-p

I actually love the Emily series even more than the Anne series, and The Blue Castle is my favorite stand-alone of LMM's. Do check it out if you haven't already!

By the way, there is a group on Good Reads for fans of LMM called Kindred Spirits so do check us out if you are looking for more "bosom friends" of LMM books! :-)

http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/6...

I agree that it is sad there is such a sense of magic, imagination and... not really innocence as the books do deal with "real life," but just a sort of gentleness and appreciation for life, that most modern books seem to lack. I'm always looking for recommendations on more LMM-esque titles!

JG (Introverted Reader) I love LMM. I think I have all her books and I couldn't tell you how many times I've re-read them all. I just love her characters. I want to be friends with all of them. Well, actually, I do feel like they're friends, but I want to meet them for real. Does that sound weird?

message 15: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Anne and Gilbert would totally be my best friends if I could meet them.

Not weird at all :-)

message 16: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I am about 120 pages in and I LOVE IT! I love how LMM describes everything and all of the descriptions of the plants. I love Anne's personality, she's more full of life than most people I know.
Oh and I laugh out loud a little everytime its mentioned how Marilla wants to laugh at Anne's exploits but doesn't.

message 17: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) Anne really is one of the loveliest characters ever invented.

Barring the way she treats poor Gilbert.

message 18: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Currently am on Anne of Avonlea. I love how Anne has grown up, but still has her imagination and love for nature. I also love her silly scrapes, such as when she has to play Elaine from Arthurian legend and they float her down the river hahaha. I definately continue to laugh out loud while reading this and get very strange looks from the boyfriend.

message 19: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) April wrote: "Currently am on Anne of Avonlea. I love how Anne has grown up, but still has her imagination and love for nature. I also love her silly scrapes, such as when she has to play Elaine from Arthurian l..."

She really is just a riot! Always getting into something...

message 20: by Liz (new)

Liz Durham | 58 comments I adore these books! I went to PEI not long ago, and did everything L.M. Montgomery related that I could. Her writing is amazing. I went back and re-read all eight books within the last couple years, and love them just as much as I did when I was younger.

I wish that the third "Anne" movie they made would have been based off the rest of the books. I was disappointed in that.

message 21: by Sasha (new)

Sasha (sashg) | 14 comments Allison wrote: "Anne and Gilbert would totally be my best friends if I could meet them.

Not weird at all :-)"

I grew up feeling that way! Read the books when I was 12 and I fell in love for the first time. Anne and Katy from What Katy did (did next etc) are my favourite book characters. What a great nostalgic trip to start the day with. Thanks guys!

message 22: by Jan (new)

Jan | 9 comments Anne of Green Gables was read to us after school at the home of classmate located on a ranch high in the hills of North Kohala on the Big Island of Hawaii. It was a very different island that Anne and Diane grew up on! I later found my mother's copy of Anne of Windy Poplars and read it as a teenager. I think I read the last two as an young adult and although I enjoyed them, from what I remember Rilla struck me as silly--of course not that tears were not there at times. Wasn't it a slate that Anne cracked over Gilbert's head? Time to dig up some copies and reread the series!
Mahalos!

message 23: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments I notice a few people have read Anne of Green Gables for the book challenge.

Who was everyone's favorite character?
I LOVED Matthew, he just seemed so kindhearted and wonderful. I pictured him as being similar in temperment to Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh, ha ha.

message 24: by Allison (new)

Allison (inconceivably) April wrote: "I notice a few people have read Anne of Green Gables for the book challenge.

Who was everyone's favorite character?
I LOVED Matthew, he just seemed so kindhearted and wonderful. I pictured him ..."

aww! haha, yes...I love Matthew, he seems like the type of friendly grandfatherly person everyone should have around, you know?

I LOVE Mrs. Rachel Lynde, she is one of the more complex characters I think...she is so sensitive and caring to the people around her, with a (un)healthy dose of gossipy old biddy thrown in.

message 25: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments I love this series. I love them all but I think my favorites are where Anne is in college with her friends. My least favorite would have to be Rainbow Valley. I loved the Meredith kids in it but their father really ticked me off. I know he's supposed to love them so much but he certainly doesn't act like it. He's constantly neglectful of them. The kids don't have decent clothing or food and he's got his head stuck in a book.

message 26: by Liz (new)

Liz Durham | 58 comments Does anyone remember the TV series Avonlea? I used to watch that show with my grandmother, and loved it. Anne was never in it, but Gilbert, Marilla, Mrs. Lynde, and Miss Stacy were all there at one point or another.

message 27: by John (new)

John Conrad (jmconrad) OK, it's time a man weighed in on this discussion. The series started out very good, and then became too soap-opera-ish in the last few books. Being a Canadian, I could appreciate the politics and religion, and Matthew is an absolute treasure. The personalities are very real, as anyone who has lived around rural Canada can appreciate, but Anne's 5-year grudge never sat well with me. Overall, a classic romantic work of art that anyone with a sincere sensitive side can appreciate and enjoy--Male or Female.

message 28: by Katie (last edited Jul 24, 2009 05:18PM) (new)

Katie | 16 comments I have only read Rainbow Valley, but it was really good, though I don't remember much, which now that I'm thinking about I remember more. Anyway, I know I ought to read the rest -and go in order. I read that through a book group last year that met once a month.

message 29: by Kate (new)

Kate Quinn I like the Anne series, but I did get tired of Anne after a while. Her dreaminess and romanticism are funny in a young girl, especially when comic disasters keep continually ambushing her, but I always thought she got awfully sappy in the later books. But I read them anyway because the side characters are so much fun. I don't think it's LM Montgomery's fault that Anne got boring - she herself said she was bored with Anne after about the first two books, but her publishers and public kept harassing her for more, so she dutifully produced them.

message 30: by Felina (new)

Felina I didn't know there were Anne books beyond the first three (which I read as a child and have watched the movies repeatedly since). I am familiar with the Emily of New Moon series and have been slowly working my way through those. I'm excited to get the other books in the series.

message 31: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments I think Rilla of Ingleside was my favorite. It's more about Anne and Gilbert's children at the start of WW!. It's really good.

message 32: by Angie (new)

Angie  (angelitabonita) | 71 comments I watched the Anne of Green Gables movie as a child and just recently started reading the Anne series. Right now I am on Anne of Ingleside. I love these stories as much as the Little House series.

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

I remember reading these books and wishing I had red hair and just as much zest as Anne does! I even remember deciding that I would graduate from Teacher College at Queen's too... lol, I should read these again!

message 34: by Stephanie (last edited Jul 29, 2009 11:04PM) (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments The description in these books was amazing...everytime I see cherry trees I think of The White Way of Delight, and ponds are always The Lake of Shining Waters!!

I went around for a year quoting The Lady of Shalott...

Willows whiten, aspens quiver,
Little breezes dusk and shiver
Thro' the wave that runs forever
By the island in the river
Flowing down to Camelot.
Four grey walls, and four grey towers,
Overlook a space of flowers,
And the silent isle imbowers
The Lady of Shalott.
Piling sheaves in uplands airy,
Listening, whispers "'Tis the fairy
Lady of Shalott."

There she weaves by night and day
A magic web with colours gay.
She has heard a whisper say
A curse is on her if she stay
To look down [on:] Camelot.
She knows not what the curse may be,
And so she weaveth steadily,
And little other care hath she,
The Lady of Shalott.

And wanting everyone to call me Cordelia!! All of that plus insisting that I was in depths of despair just about made my mother want to ban me from books altogether!

message 35: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments I found this great site...it lists all the locations on PEI that inspired LMM. Its great...

http://greengables.tripod.com/

message 36: by Angie (new)

Angie  (angelitabonita) | 71 comments Has anyone heard of Before Green Gables? It's written by Budge Wilson and was given the ok to be written by LM Montgomery's heirs. It's a prequel about Little Anne Shirley before arriving at Green Gables. I wanted to read it but was wondering if anyone else has yet.

message 37: by Christy (new)

Christy Stewart (christyleighstewart) | 166 comments I was forced to read the first three as a child and I thought I would die.

I literally thought I was just going to drop dead while reading them one day.

I don't know how I survived it...

message 38: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments Stephanie wrote: "The description in these books was amazing...everytime I see cherry trees I think of The White Way of Delight, and ponds are always The Lake of Shining Waters!!

I went around for a year quoting T..."

Have you heard Loreena McKennit singing it? It's gorgeous.

message 39: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments No I have not but I'm looking it up now!!!

message 40: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments Absolutely Beautiful!!!! Thank you Grace!!

message 41: by GracieKat (new)

GracieKat | 864 comments NO problem. I was looking up Bonnie Portmore by her and found it and fell in love with it. She has got such a beautiful voice.

message 42: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments Oh yes...my father has been a huge fan for a long time. I don't know why it took me so long to fall in love!!

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments I got Nights at the Alhambra for Christmas a couple of years ago...Her Lady of Shalott is one of my favorite songs.

Maybe because of this thread I went back and reread all the books this week. I'm half way through RofI just now and it is so funny how the perspective changes. It's a little odd how inn the last couple of books, Anne is pretty much non existent except to laugh or lecture about something. Kind of makes me sad. I still think my favorite is Anne of Windy Poplars. I love the letters...

message 44: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 413 comments I just picked them up at the used book store and I plan on reading them soon!!

message 45: by Clickety (new)

Clickety (clix) | 2 comments Angie, I know this is late, but I read Before Green Gables and I reeeally liked it. I was very impressed at how well the new author got the LMM 'voice.'

message 46: by Carly (new)

Carly Svamvour (faganlady) | 220 comments I think I was around 11 years old when I read these books . . . just loved 'em.

And I loved the series they put on TV too.

I'm not sure if my 10 year old granddaughter (the great reader) has been into it or not.

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

It's been years since I've hung out with Anne, but I remember really liking her, and laughing aloud several times as I was reading.

message 48: by Karen • (new)

Karen • The Book Return (goodreadscomkarenthebookreturn) | 6 comments I've been wanting to give them a try!

message 49: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) I never read these as a child, and began reading them a few years ago. I've read through book # 4 in the series ... Really enjoying them.