Weekly Short Stories Contest and Company! discussion

Games! > Guess the Quote

Comments (showing 1-50 of 262) (262 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 1365 comments Hi, this game is pretty much what it say's. I will post a quote. It may be from a book, movie or real person. If from a book or a movie you must what book/movie it is from and for extra points who said it. If from a real person you just have to guess who said it and not where they were or what they were talking about.

I'll post the first quote to get us going.

"Winter is Coming"-

message 2: by Edward (new)

Edward (EdwardThereseJr) | 2434 comments Well, it's from a Dean Koontz novel, but I can't remember which one.

"Why did you save me?"
"You're on my crew."
"Yeah, but you don't even like me."
"You're on my crew. Why are we still talking about this?"

message 3: by Edward (new)

Edward (EdwardThereseJr) | 2434 comments False Memory is the one. (I just checked the Humor thread.)

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 1365 comments Firefly?

"You've fallen pry to one of the classic blunders, the most commonly know is never start a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well know is this, Never go in against a Sicilian when Death is on the line!"-

message 5: by Kate (last edited Oct 22, 2012 03:10PM) (new)

Kate | 29 comments Christa - Ron Paul 2012 wrote: "Firefly?

"You've fallen pry to one of the classic blunders, the most commonly know is never start a land war in Asia, but only slightly less well know is this, Never go in against a Sicilian when ..."

That is Vizzini in The Princess Bride! Love that one!

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 1365 comments Me too :D One fo the top five best movies! Your turn :D

message 7: by Kate (new)

Kate | 29 comments Oh, oops! Okay, off the top:

"They've done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time."

message 8: by Kate (new)

Kate | 29 comments Anyone?
(Actually, that's a movie quote, too, but I'm referring to my last post!)

Amy *Waitforit* Anchorman?

"You're in America now," I said. "Our idea of diplomacy is showing up with a gun in one hand and a sandwich in the other and asking which you'd prefer."

message 10: by Edward (new)

Edward (EdwardThereseJr) | 2434 comments No idea what that's from, Amy, but I like it.

message 11: by Caitlan, lioness rampant (new)

Caitlan (psych-enthusiast) | 2866 comments Mod
I'm sure I've read it! ARGH. What is it?! *smacks head*

message 12: by M (new)

M | 10155 comments I cheated, and Googled it. It’s the same author who wrote: “The building was on fire, and it wasn’t my fault.”

message 13: by Kyra (new)

Kyra (Nikara) | 1221 comments "If I win, I'm a prodigy. If I lose, then I'm crazy. That's the way history is written."

message 14: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie  (ChasmofBooks) | 2868 comments I don't know where any of these quotes are from but I'd just like to say that some of them are pretty awesome.

message 15: by Saira (new)

Saira (Herumouni) | 667 comments Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

"I can't imagine Angel in tights--Oh, now I can and it's really disturbing."

message 16: by Edward (last edited Oct 25, 2012 09:21AM) (new)

Edward (EdwardThereseJr) | 2434 comments M wrote: "I cheated, and Googled it. It’s the same author who wrote: “The building was on fire, and it wasn’t my fault.”"

Dresden! Well, the author is Jim Butcher.

Doyle in Angel, obviously, Saira.

message 17: by Edward (new)

Edward (EdwardThereseJr) | 2434 comments "Sometimes bad guys are the only good guys you get."

message 18: by Edward (new)

Edward (EdwardThereseJr) | 2434 comments No idea ... but I have another one.

"What the cabbage?"

message 19: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 10976 comments Princess bubblegum? (That's totally a google answer.)

Okay, an easy one:

Oh frabjous day, callooh, callay!

message 20: by Caitlan, lioness rampant (new)

THE MAD HATTER FROM TIM BURTON'S VERSION OF ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Favorite movie ever.

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

message 21: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 10976 comments Okay, but really, Kat, it is from the Book Alice in Wonderland! Sheesh! ;-) .

Now for something really tough! But I love the quotation:

"In life there are two things which are dependable. The pleasures of the flesh and the pleasures of literature."

message 22: by Caitlan, lioness rampant (new)

Oh. Well, I've never read that book. XP

message 23: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 10976 comments Kat, I highly recommend it. It is an amazing diary / observation of Japanese court life in the 10th century. Also, the movie 'The Pillow Book' which is NOT the book, but was inspired by it, is remarkable.

message 24: by Edward (new)

Edward (EdwardThereseJr) | 2434 comments Guy wrote: "Princess bubblegum? (That's totally a google answer.)

Okay, an easy one:

Oh frabjous day, callooh, callay!"

Yep, Princess Bubblegum from "Adventure Time."

message 25: by Caitlan, lioness rampant (new)

I had no clue that's what it was about XP

message 26: by Kyra (new)

Kyra (Nikara) | 1221 comments Kat wrote: "THE MAD HATTER FROM TIM BURTON'S VERSION OF ALICE IN WONDERLAND. Favorite movie ever.

"Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.""

HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY BY DOUGLAS ADAMS!!!!!!!!! Loved that book. XD

message 27: by Kyra (new)

Kyra (Nikara) | 1221 comments "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one."

message 28: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 10976 comments Einstein.

"The quick and the dead."

message 29: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 10976 comments LoL! Yes, but they stole it from, of all places, the Bible.
For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries: Wherein they think it strange that ye run not with them to the same excess of riot, speaking evil of you: Who shall give account to him that is ready to judge the quick and the dead(1 Peter 4:3–5).
Now, what's your quotation?

message 30: by M (new)

M | 10155 comments “The heart has its reasons that reason knows nothing of.”

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 1365 comments Monty Python

"There is only one God ma'am, and I am pretty sure he doesn't dress like that."-

message 32: by Saira (new)

Saira (Herumouni) | 667 comments Captain America in The Avengers.

'"Not so fast." What is that? You're new motto?'

message 33: by Kyra (new)

Kyra (Nikara) | 1221 comments Cars 2.

“He who leaps for the sky may fall, it's true. But he may also fly.”

message 34: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 10976 comments Okay, that required Google cheating, but the answer is Lauren Oliver.

“I dreamed I was a butterfly, flitting around in the sky; then I awoke. Now I wonder: Am I a man who dreamt of being a butterfly, or am I a butterfly dreaming that I am a man?”

message 35: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 10976 comments (Hangs head low in mock shame, then stands up and reads from somewhere:)

"Sadly, as one gets older one realizes that one man's pragmatics is another's cheat."

message 36: by Guy (new)

Guy (egajd) | 10976 comments Is it cheating to give hints and allegations— I mean suggestions? Because there is something vaguely mu-shi-porkish about one of them.

message 37: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5262 comments Can I play too? I'm a huge fan of quotes.

The butterfly quote is Chuang Tzu. But now I'm going mad as I recently read it quoted in the opening pages of a novel and my brain won't stop turning cartwheels trying to remember what book!

Ah, do I need to leave a quote of my own now?

message 38: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5262 comments I hope I'm not pushing in or being rude here - I've only just started looking beyond the poetry and short story threads and don't really know the rules...

Here's an easy one, but its one of my favorites :)

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

message 39: by Guy (last edited Nov 15, 2012 06:43AM) (new)

Guy (egajd) | 10976 comments Great one, Ryan. It is tickling the brain cells, but nothing is coming forward. And, [big sigh] I won't cheat this time.

How does the modern paraphrase go: If you fight with pigs all that you'll achieve is to stink like them. Or something like that.

Oh! And you're not being rude at all! Jump in to any of the games. Although, reading the 1st comment is advised as it normally contains the rules, which are normally simple and not very restrictive.

message 40: by Edward (new)

Edward (EdwardThereseJr) | 2434 comments Ryan, Nietzsche, I believe.

I can't think of anything good (just woke up), but ...

"I love you, Conner. Now get out."

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 1365 comments Either "Angel" or "Terminator" but I am not sure which.

message 42: by Edward (new)

Edward (EdwardThereseJr) | 2434 comments Angel.

message 43: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5262 comments Nietzsche, yes. Well done!

message 44: by Saira (new)

Saira (Herumouni) | 667 comments Yep. Angel. :D

'Saving the human race is a frantic business. Or a tedious one. It all depends on which stage of the process you're taking part in.'

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 1365 comments Pathfinder

"This is my Timely-Wimey detector, goes ding when there's stuff."-

message 46: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5262 comments Dr Who?

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 1365 comments Yep, tenth.

Bilbo Baggins at his farewell party.

"If you argue with a madman, it is extremely probable that you will get the worst of it; for in many ways his mind moves all the quicker for not being delayed by the things that go with good judgment"

message 48: by Ryan (new)

Ryan | 5262 comments I have no idea! Never heard that one but it is fantastic :)

Christa - Ron Paul 2016 (Christa-RonPaul2012) | 1365 comments Well...the guy was a writer, and he was a man. He was an 18th century writer.

message 50: by Saira (new)

Saira (Herumouni) | 667 comments Chesterton! I remember reading that in Orthodoxy.

Awesome, someone else has read Pathfinder. :D My favourite book, and I hardly ever read sci-fi!

'May the fours be with you.'

« previous 1 3 4 5 6