sistv bookworms discussion

February Contemporary > The Thirteenth Tale

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhi (new)

Rhi | 76 comments Mod
i'm excited about this book!
i need to pick it up from somewhere in the next few days.

message 2: by Renae (new)

Renae (RenaeClark) | 58 comments Yeahhhh! I already have this one and I'm looking forward to it.

message 3: by Audrey (new)

Audrey (audneal) This is a great book -- I really enjoyed it. Looking forward to what everyone thinks about it.

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (Kelly_L) I'm excited too!!! So excited, that I pushed my way through Edgar so I can read this with everyone. YAY!

message 5: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (Kelly_L) So should we just start talking about the book here or are we breaking it up into chapters, pages or what??? I just started the book this morning and already read a passage that really hit me as rather profound.

In the opening chapter, right after reading the letter from Vida, Margaret says this:

"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner. Wind themselves around your limbs like spider silk, and when you are so enthralled you cannot move, the pierce your skin, enter your blood, numb your thoughts. Inside you they work their magic."

I just LOVE those few sentences. To me, they describe why I like to read and what different authors can do for me with just words. Words are magic. Plain and simple. And I just love what she had to say. And I thought I'd share cuz yanno, I'm like that. ::eyebrow waggle::

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (Kelly_L) ::tapping foot:: C'mon...nobody else has anything to say yet? I'm about 100 pages into this book and I am SO into it. I love the writer's style and the story has me thoroughly rivited! This is one of those hard to pick books. Yanno, it's "hard to pick" whether you work or read the book...

message 7: by Renae (new)

Renae (RenaeClark) | 58 comments I'm now about 100 pages into this book and I'm so glad to be (finally) reading this book. Love this author's writing style and the story is so unique. I'm excited to see where Vida's story leads us.

message 8: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (Kelly_L) I'm about right where you are Renae! These are some way bizarre stories aren't they? LOL When they talk about the twins (Adeline and whatever her name is) I keep getting visuals of the twins in The Shining. hehehe

message 9: by Jamie (new)

Jamie | 36 comments I'm so mad, this was the book I kept promoting and then my mid term came up and I have to read 3 books for it and several for another class. Next weekend though I am going to read this entire book and post all about it! :)

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (Kelly_L) LOL Jaime. Well, I'm GLAD you promoted it. It's truly one of the best books I've ever read. I'm about 180 pages into it and I'm SO in love with it!

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan (LadyMissSusan) | 19 comments Ok I wasn't sure I wanted to read this but you girls are making me want to pick it up. Off to add it to my list.

message 12: by Renae (new)

Renae (RenaeClark) | 58 comments Susan, it's just a very interesting read. It's a great mystery. I don't think you can go wrong with The Thirteenth Tale.

message 13: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (Kelly_L) Yeah Susan, I was very impressed with it. The writing, the story. It's a good mystery. Ditto exactly what Renae said. :)

message 14: by Susan (new)

Susan (LadyMissSusan) | 19 comments I added it to my ever-growing list of books to read!

message 15: by Debra (new)

Debra | 7 comments I loved loved loved this book I found it kinda Austen like in a way, once I started I could not put it down..... her writing is so seductive very lyrical and just beautiful :)

message 16: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (Kelly_L) I agree Debra. Her words, the way she used them...I seriously wrote down a few passages because they just reached out and grabbed me.

message 17: by Rhi (new)

Rhi | 76 comments Mod
i've added it too, susan.
just one of those books i didn't get around to grabbing from anywhere!