Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library discussion

The Call of the Wild
This topic is about The Call of the Wild
Classic Made Modern eBooks > The Call of the Wild by Jack London

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lissa (new)

Lissa (lissastaley) | 44 comments Mod
The Call of the Wild by Jack London (1903) details Buck’s struggle as he is snatched from a pastoral ranch in California and forced into the harsh life of a Yukon sled dog during the 19th century Klondike Gold Rush. Read the free ebook and discuss it here or at http://www.tscpl.org/tag/classics or in person at the Classic Made Modern eBook Discussion at the library, Marvin Auditorium 101C, 1:30–3:00 pm, Mon Nov 4, 2013.

message 2: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (KelliSmith) | 183 comments Mod
I remember reading this in my 8th grade English class. I should revisit it for next month's discussion.

message 3: by Lissa (new)

Lissa (lissastaley) | 44 comments Mod
I've never read it (yet) but I think it's going to be a great discussion. This group hasn't ever read a book with an animal main character, that I can remember. Should be interesting!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I read The Call of the Wild as a teenager. It was a great story once you got past the cruelty and greed of human kind. Makes cry and want to keep reading to see how it ends.

Miranda (MirandaEricssonKendall) | 37 comments Mod
I just read this with Sky and David a couple of months ago, and I also read it as a middle schooler. It is a great book, but as Cheryll mentioned there are some really wrenching scenes of cruelty that you'll never forget. There's also a bit of racism. It provided a good opportunity to discuss those issues with my son, and the writing style and vocabulary are also a nice challenge for younger readers. Hope you enjoy it!