Trash Talkers discussion

Anyone else sick of the feisty heroine?

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rhapsody (new)

Rhapsody | 5 comments I'm looking for a new historical romance to read and have been browsing this one site with some categories. Every single synopsis I read tells me about a spirited heroine, firebrand heroine, feisty heroine, blablabla "her spirit cannot be tamed" "fire of her spirit this and that" etc. I like quiet, shy heroines. This is driving me nuts. Why is it so hard to find soft spoken heroines in these historical romances?

message 2: by D.G. (new)

D.G. Hahahaha! You are soo right!

I'm tired of this tendency too...and it annoys me even more becuase "spirited" usually means TSTL and/or rude heroines.

A recent historical that I read with a quasi quiet heroine was "And then he kissed her" by Laura Lee Guhrke. She's not necessarily shy but she's one of those mousy women that has lived all her life by the rules, until something happens in her life that makes her take a gamble (and it's not meeting the hero...but instead, something he does.) Anyway, it's a very good book and I recommend it.

At the moment I cannot think of any other book but if I remember one, I'll let you know.

message 3: by Rhapsody (new)

Rhapsody | 5 comments I just read a synopsis of Guhrke's book, it sounds GREAT! What you said is exactly how I feel. It's not that the heroine has to be a dishrag who gets walked all over, it's just that these spirited heroines are totally self-deluded and as you said, stupid and rude. My brain will explode if I read another summary with the phrase "but she swears she will never submit to him." I like heroines who more or less understand the limitations of society and nevertheless live their lives with dignity and purpose.

Cannot wait to start Guhrke's book. Thanks again.

message 4: by Mary (new)

Mary (marycastillo) Evie from The Devil In Winter by Lisa Kleypas is a shy, quiet heroine with an inner core of strength. I really enjoyed her story because like you, "spirited" heroines tend to be really annoying. Even though they're supposed to be strong, they always do the dumbest things because of their pride.

However, Jessica Trent from Loretta Chase's novel, The Lord of Scoundrels is the ultimate heroine. She's spirited and has a backbone of steel, but she ain't dumb!

message 5: by Laura (new)

Laura (laurastamps) I agree completely. That's what I love about writing and reading paranormal romance novels. I used to read a lot of urban fantasy novels, because I love the paranormal element in novels. But I got so tired of what they call the "kick-butt" heroine. The one who says something nasty or shoots first before asking questions. Ugh!

However, I'm not a fan of the quiet, mousey heroine either. Instead I like a woman who has high self-esteem but doesn't have to broadcast it to everyone 24/7, if you know what I mean. Those are the kinds of women I write about in my novels, and it is the kind I like to read about for pleasure. I almost get the feeling the "feisty heroine" is a cliche, and I prefer something different than the usual cliches in paranormal romance or urban fantasy.

message 6: by Addicted2Luv (new)

Addicted2Luv | 2 comments I am so tired of the firebrands. I just read Captives of the Night by Loretta Chase, and while I really like L. Chase, I got tired of this particular heroine. She had tantrums and ripped her artist's studio to pieces on a regular basis. Also she would let the hero get to the brink and then throw him off of her and stomp away. I realize she had problems, but good grief...she needed to simmer down.

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole (rednikki) | 3 comments I think what everyone is bringing up is that authors seem to have confused "feisty" with "b*#$h with anger management issues". Tearing your artist's studio apart? Not feisty, just petulant and destructive. Being rude? Not feisty, just mean.

It's as if the template for female characters has gone from shy, wilting and dumb to loud, overconfident and dumb.

I want a character who is smart, self-confident and knows her own mind. Heck, I'll even take the "smart", and have her learn the other two bits along the way. But none of those are synonymous with the caricature of "feisty" that has become prevalent in romance novels lately.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I've always preferred the quieter heroines but I do enjoy a good feisty one occasionally. Its all in how the author develops them. I've read many where the heroine is basically a selfish, spoiled brat and a real turn off in the story for me. I like the shy, quiet heroines who display an inner strength. You may think of her as timid but when the situation calls for it, she is able to come through with flying colors.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I adore the "feisty heroine" that is Josephine March in "Little Women." She is intelligent, honest, hard-headed, and aware of the world that surrounds. I concur that the sterotypical fiesty heroine characture is frustratingly overdone. But in my biased opinion (because I loooove Little Women) Jo March embodies what I think the "fiesty" heroine should represent.

message 10: by Pamela(AllHoney) (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Jennifer, I do agree. I loved reading Little Women back in high school. I may have to get a hold of it and read it again now that I'm so much older. I loved all the girls but Jo was my fave, I think.

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 15, 2008 08:04PM) (new)

IMO many authors confuse fiesty/spunky with bitchy/immature. Not interchangable terms peeps.

message 12: by Dyanne (new)

Dyanne  (dyanneg) I just read
Where Dreams Begin by Lisa Kleypas and I really liked the heroine in that.

message 13: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I agree that Evie in Devil in Winter is my favorite type of herione. Quite but strong. In this series I identified with her the most.

message 14: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Noble | 2 comments You should check out Secrets of the Heart by Candace Camp. That's one of my favorite books. The heroine is shy and a bit timid and it's very refreshing to have a change.