Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library discussion

The Mayor of Casterbridge
This topic is about The Mayor of Casterbridge
Classic Made Modern eBooks > January 2013 - The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy

Comments (showing 1-4 of 4) (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lissa (lissastaley) | 44 comments Mod
The Mayor of Casterbridge (1886) by Thomas Hardy opens with a shocking act: a man sells his wife and child at a country fair in rustic England. In time, the man becomes successful and respected, but his shameful past makes this a tragic novel. Read the free ebook and discuss here, or at http://www.tscpl.org/tag/classics, or in person at Classic Made Modern eBook Discussion at the library --Marvin Auditorium 101C 1:30–3:00 pm, Mon Jan 14, 2013.

message 2: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (KelliSmith) | 183 comments Mod
I have never read anything by Thomas Hardy... maybe I should give him a try.

I haven't read this one...yet. But I've liked him in the past. Honestly this one is probably a tad depressing :) But that is what book group is for--- to help you cope with depressing literature!

This wasn't depressing at all. It also wasn't "bad things happen to good people" -- Elizabeth-Jane's last few paragraphs take a differend perspective on that.
It was a quick read, with a drama-filled plot, almost soap-opera style. The fact that is was originally serialized shows in some of the cliff-hanger endings of chapters, and the foreshadowing. Discussion was centered around whether "fate" is a valid excuse, whether people make the bad things in their lives happen to them (especially Henchard) and whether men are scum -- just kidding! -- but we did discuss Hardy's tendency to portray his men as either all bad or practically perfect. His negative/immoral portrayal of anyone with ties to France was also noted, and the discussion of perfectly pure Elizabeth-Jane hinted that she might not have been smart enough to act differently.
It was a great discussion, with everyone engaged and talking, and we all enjoyed sharing our opinions about the book with the group.