75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2009 Completed) > Liz's 2009 Books - Completed!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 93 (93 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 2: by Mike (new)

Mike What do you think of the Twilight series?
How much have you read?
Just interested in the whole hype.

message 3: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) Hmm I read "Twilight" in September 2008, and the only reason was that I was curious whether it as good as it sounded to be. It felt like everyone was reading it. So I read it but I didn't think that it was anything special. I read the two following parts in January, because I was a little bit curious about what was going to happen. After reading Eclipse it feels like I don't have to read the fourth part because I don't really care what happens... because I can almost guess how it will end...

I've read a lot of books and I thought that this group sounded fun :) I've had a lot to do in school lately (I study at the university) and therefore I haven't had the time to read as much as I would have liked to :(

message 4: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) Mike, I loved the Twilight series. They're literary candy, but good fun for what they are.

Meyer's sci-fi book "The Host" is a lot better though. Both plot-wise and writing style.

message 5: by Maria (new)

Maria Elmvang (kiwiria) Adwielle, it's been a couple of years since I read the series, but as far as I remember, the ending is explained more thoroughly in the sequels.

message 6: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) Ok :) I'm looking forward to read the sequels :)

message 7: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) I had forgotten to add some books :)

message 8: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 11.The Subtle Knife 5/5. I liked this one a lot!

message 9: by Elisabeth (last edited Feb 24, 2009 12:48PM) (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 12. The Amber Spyglass 4/5 It was OK. I was a little bit unhappy about the ending and some things in the story was difficult to follow but overall it was OK :)

message 10: by Ms. Vicki (last edited Feb 26, 2009 05:24PM) (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith I think Pullman's series was well written, BUT much too dark for anyone under the age of 15 or so. That's just my opinion. I've read the whole series and liked it, but there were some underlying messages, like God doesn't exist, that I have a problem with for children.

message 11: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) Oh, I totally I agree with you, Miss Vicki!

message 12: by Elisabeth (last edited Feb 26, 2009 12:28PM) (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 13. Magician part 1: The Magician's Apprentice, In Sweden, this book is divided into three parts. I've just finished the first part. I really liked this book and I'm looking forward to read the following books. I just hope that they are as good as this one ;)

message 13: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa (lyssness) | 7 comments I love the Thrawn books! Timothy Zahn is one of the best Star Wars writers, in my opinion. He stays true to the original trilogy and takes it further in a believable way.

The Subtle Knife was my favorite of the His Dark Materials trilogy as well. :)

message 14: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) I look forward to read the other Star Wars books that are written by Timothy Zahn :)

message 15: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 14. Dragons of Autumn Twilight5/5 I really liked this book, mainly because of all the well-written characters. My favourite character was the dwarf Flint :)
Somehow I saw some similarities with Lord of the Rings but maybe that's just me. Still, it is one of the best books that I've ever read and I would recommend it to everyone who enjoys to read fantasy.

message 16: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 15. Tsitsi Dangarembga - Nervous Conditions4/5, This book became one of my fav. books. At first, when I looked at the cover I thought that the book would be boring but how wrong wasn't I? It was a fascinating story and I will definitley read it again someday.

message 17: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith I will give Dragons of Autumn Twilight a try. I loved Lord of the Rings and fantasy is one of my favorite genres so it sounds perfect. Thanks.

message 18: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) Your welcome :)

message 19: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 16. Stephen King - The Gunslinger 3.5/5:I don't know what to say about this book. The only thing I do know is that I liked it :-) It wasn't as good as I thought it would be but still it was well worth reading.

message 20: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 17. Stieg Larsson - Luftslottet som sprängdes, 4.5/5. A great book!

message 21: by Susan (new)

Susan Liz wrote: "17. Stieg Larsson - Luftslottet som sprängdes, 4.5/5. A great book!"

I understand that this is the third volume of his trilogy. Only the first has been published in the US, under the title Girl with Dragon Tattoo (I think it had a different title in Sweden). I read that and loved it - can't wait for the other two to be published here.

message 22: by Denell (new)

Denell I really enjoyed Nervous Conditions as well. It was one of my prescribed reading books..and I thought it would suck but I loved it!

message 23: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) Susan: Oh, ok! I thought that all books had been published in the US but they will probably be that soon :) The third volume was as good as the other books. You couldn't put it down and I think I read it in two days...

Denell: Yes, I agree with you. I read the book for a literature course that I'm taking. At first I though the book would be boring but I ended up loving it :)

message 24: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 18. Raymond E. Feist - Magician, part 2: Between Two Worlds, 5/5. I Really like this Saga :)

message 25: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 19. Philippa Gregory - The Constant Princess 4/5. I liked this book a lot and thought that it was an interesting portrait of Katherine of Aragon. It made me want to read more about her.

message 26: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 20. Stephenie Meyer - Breaking Dawn

message 27: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 21. David Gibbins - Atlantis

message 28: by Karol (new)

Karol Liz wrote: "19. Philippa Gregory - The Constant Princess 4/5. I liked this book a lot and thought..."

Liz, looks like a very interesting title, indeed.

message 29: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 22. Anonymous - Sweeney Tood or The String of Pearls. An amazing horror story!

message 30: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) Kay; Yes, it's a very interesting title :)

message 31: by Jacob (new)

Jacob (jacobaugust) | 199 comments Liz wrote: "16. Stephen King - The Gunslinger 3.5/5:I don't know what to say about this book."

Just don't let it stop you from reading the rest of the Dark Tower books. The Gunslinger isn't the best, but it picks up in The Drawing of the Three.

message 32: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) Jacob: I didn't plan to stop reading the rest of the books :) I have just been busy reading books for my literature courses :)

message 33: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 23. J.M Coetzee - Disgrace, 2.5/5. I don't know what to say about this book. It was special. I still don't know if I like it or if I dislike it :P

message 34: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 24. Peter Pohl - Johnny, My Friend. 2/5.

message 35: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 25. Reginald Hill - On Beulah Height, 3.8/5

message 36: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 26. Raymond E. Feist - Master of Magic (part three of the Magician), 3.9/5.

I have now, finally, finished reading the first part of the Riftwar Saga. As I mentioned previously it is divided into three parts in Sweden (the first book that is). I really like this saga and I'm looking forward to reading the following parts of it. The only bad thing is that I will have to wait before I can read them because someone feels the same way as me and has borrowed all the books from the library! :S

message 37: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 27. Stephen King - Carrie, 5/5.
This was the first book I ever read by Stephen King, I think I was about eleven years old then. I re-read it when I was in secondary school and thought that the book was great. But re-reading it now, for the third time I actually think that this is one of my fav. novels by Stephen King. I will definitley read it again one day!

message 38: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 28. Roberto Saviano - Gomorrah 4.2/5
I found this book to be very interesting and at the same time scary. In a way it was a difficult book to read, it is not a book that you read in just two days. It took me 1 ½ month to finish it but I'm glad I read it. I will probably read it again one day.
I would recommened it to everyone that are interested in learning more about the mafia, especially the camorramafia.

message 39: by Elisabeth (last edited Apr 12, 2009 03:02AM) (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 29. Henrik Ibsen - A Doll's House 3,5/5
30.Simon Beckett - Written In Bone, 4/5.

message 40: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 31. Jane Green - Swapping Lives 2.9/5.
I usually like her books but this was not one of her best.

message 41: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 32. Karin Boye - Kallo Cain 3.5/5

message 43: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) 34. T. N Murari - Taj 3.5/5

message 45: by Cait (new)

Cait Liz, as another university student, I'm glad to see that other people take time to read. In my school, every says "Oh, I wish I could read for fun, I loved it so much, but I don't have time." Sometimes, you just need to take a break and read a book for fun.

message 46: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) I absolutely agree with you, Cait. Everyone asks me how I manage to have time to read and just say that I take the time. For me, reading is a way of relaxing.

message 47: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4124 comments Mod
I also work full time and I'm finishing my bachelors degree. I never go anywhere without a book and I always manage to find time to read even if it is just 10 minutes a day. It is an important part of my life and something that I make time for. I think people who say that they can't find time to read like to read, but are not passionate about it :)

message 48: by Elisabeth (new)

Elisabeth (adwielle) Andrea: Just like you, I never go anywhere without a book :)

« previous 1