Speaker Geeks! discussion

What Do You Think (General)? > Holiday Commercialization

Comments (showing 1-9 of 9) (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
Are the holidays too commercialized? What do you think about this commercialization?

message 2: by Yazid (Ciel) (new)

Yazid (Ciel) (plue) What is commercialization?

message 3: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
What I think about commercialization being is the advertisement of the holidays or how businesses get people pumped up for the holidays. According to dictionary.com, commercialization is defined as:
1.to make commercial in character, methods, or spirit.

2.to emphasize the profitable aspects of, especially at the expense of quality: to commercialize one's artistic talent.

3.to offer for sale; make available as a commodity.

message 4: by Yazid (Ciel) (new)

Yazid (Ciel) (plue) So basically holidays commercialization is when holidays are being used as a mean to gain profit from customers???

message 5: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
Yeah, pretty much.

message 6: by Yazid (Ciel) (new)

Yazid (Ciel) (plue) Then, there is nothing wrong about it. Essentially, the situation involved two parties: The seller and the customer. By using an economical perspective, the seller would establish the economy of a country as in the target of consumer would be wider.

But if we are in the shoes of the customer, it is not wrong to be extravagant once in a year as it most probably would not affect your income.

message 7: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
It's wrong, in my opinion, however, when the commercialization becomes so great that we don't celebrate these holidays for their true reasons.

message 8: by Xdyj (last edited Nov 19, 2012 04:08PM) (new)

Xdyj | 127 comments I think there's any contradiction between commercialization & celebrating it for other reasons. Also it's hardly uncommon for the customs & meanings of some holidays to change over time, and sometimes the original reason for celebration is just no longer relevant.

message 9: by Leah, I'm HI-larious! (Head Mod) (new)

Leah | 3478 comments Mod
I totally agree. There would be no Christmas without CHRIST (hence the term Christmas). It shocks me that stores ACTUALLY choose to make a franchise out of a day that is supposed to be celebrated for the reason that it is.