Fans of Norah Lofts discussion

Esther > Not really about Esther , about NL's Old Testament women

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2233 comments Has anybody else got a copy of NL's Women In The Old Testament, 20 Psychological Portraits with the foreword by NL herself?
I have been in the habit of thinking NL a proto feminist, but to my joy, she says in the forward, when talking about writing a book about women
"the author of Women in the OT , togethter with the authors of 'Women in Art' , or 'Women in Crime', and all the other exploiters of this curious interest in the female, must be grateful that the general, if unacknowledged, opinion of women is so low that the word "Woman Sweeps Chimney " would make an arresting headline even in these day of paper shortage" ( she was writing immediately post WW2)
Nothin' proto about that!

message 2: by Barbara (last edited Feb 15, 2009 07:54PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2233 comments Alice wrote: "I haven't ever heard of this Norah Lofts book so its another one for me to look for. "
Not very well-known I don't think, like her Queens of England one . The OT women are
Sarah & Hagar,
Rebekah,
Leah & Rachel,
Potiphar's wife,
Rahab,
Jephtha's daughter,
Deborah & Jael,
Delilah,
Ruth,
Michal,( NL called the disgraced woman at the well in How Far To Bethlehem Michal I remember)
Bathsheba,
The woman of En-Dor,
The nameless woman,
Queen of Sheba,
Jezebel,
Namaan's wife's little maid, Esther

The doorbell just rang and it was a courier with my copy of Wayside Tavern, from the US. It has THE most awful cover, of the bodice-ripping Barbara Cartland sort....absolute living proof of the 'don't judge a book by it's cover' adage

message 3: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2233 comments This belongs here really, not in the Blossom pages

Nobody has ever made the Ruth and Naomi story come alive as NL can...
"Entreat me not to leave you or to return from following you; for where you go I will go; where you lodge I will lodge; your people shall be my people and your God my God; where you die I will die and there will I be buried. May the Lord do so to me and more also if even death parts me from you"

What a great novel she could make of it. I know I had only the 'child's' version of the story in my head, Ruth gleaning and so forth - I had no idea Naomi sent her to Boaz's bed in the hope he would desire and marry her. Which he did of course - and when she had her first child the women laid it in Naomi's arms saying
'a son has been born to Naomi...for your daughter-in-law who loves you, who is more to you than seven sons, has borne him"

message 4: by Barbara (last edited Feb 25, 2009 04:02PM) (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2233 comments I got Women in the OT online, from Gordons Books
gbsbooksusa@yahoo.com
Nice , virtually new copy

message 5: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggy908) | 936 comments Just wanted to let the group know this book is available as a free download through Barnes & Noble. I have it on my Nook. It's more readable than a lot of free downloads; they've done a pretty good job of digitizing the book.

message 6: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (sema4dogz) | 2233 comments Thanks Peggy, that's wonderful.