Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group discussion

Question of the Week > Adultery in Romance Novels: Is It Ever Okay?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 58) (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Normally, adultery in my romance novel reads is never, under any circumstances, okay, but I just finished reading Eloisa James’ The Ugly Duchess and in this novel, the hero did, technically, cheat on the heroine. It didn’t bother me nearly as much as this kind of behavior usually does, because I felt it fit the story.

A spoiler for those who might want more information about the adultery in this book, and why, though it made me sad, I was okay with it: (view spoiler)

So, my question to you for this week: Is adultery in romance novels EVER okay? And if so, under what circumstances?

message 2: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Oct 20, 2012 10:03PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 9533 comments Mod
I have to be honest. I hate adultery in romance novels. I don't like it when the author feels the need to justify it for any reason. I have read and enjoyed books where there was adultery in the past, but as I get older, I don't even want to be bothered dealing with the ethical question in a book. I pretty much avoid them. Thanks for the heads up on the James book. I will put it on my avoid list.

*PS--I don't want to be Ms. Negative, but gosh, adultery is like my number one pet peeve in a romance book and real life, for that matter!

Steamywindows♥♫ (Steamywindows) | 59 comments "Ever" is a very broad parameter isn't it? I don't intend to be argumentative here, as I think this is very much a deal breaker for many of us. Having some personal history with this, it takes at least two factors that make this troupe worthwhile;
1. The adultery isn't simply opportunity/"because I can"
2. There is remorse and an attempt to right the wrong so to speak

message 4: by Faithmarie (new)

Faithmarie Lady Danielle aka The Book Huntress wrote: "I have to be honest. I hate adultery in romance novels. I don't like it when the author feels the need to justify it for any reason. I have read and enjoyed books where there was adultery in the p..."

My sentiments exactly ..... don't want to even go there.

message 5: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (Jyl22075) | 14 comments UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Normally, adultery in my romance novel reads is never, under any circumstances, okay, but I just finished reading Eloisa James’ The Ugly Duchess and in this novel, the hero did, technically, cheat ..."

As soon as I read the topic that book was what I thought of. I used to think it was never okay, but I read and liked that book, so I guess I have found an exception to my rule.

message 6: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1700 comments Mod
I do not like adultery at all. So, I'm going to say no. However, some author somewhere may be able to convince me its necessary for their story and I may be ok with it. Steamywindows makes a good point... 2. There is remorse and an attempt to right the wrong so to speak. As with anything it would depend on the circumstances. I want to say absolutely no but there is always that exception to the rule.

message 7: by Desiree M ~*~*~ (last edited Oct 22, 2012 11:28AM) (new)

Desiree M ~*~*~ LiveReadCollect (LiveReadCollect) | 109 comments Even though, no matter what the circumstances, I don't like reading/knowing that one character has cheated on the other, there are certain instances where although I don't like it, I'm ok with it.

What you described in The Ugly Duchess is something that I would more than likely be ok with. I haven't read it yet, it's on my list, but it doesn't sound like I'd be upset at that situation.

The book Sinful by Charlotte Featherstone is another, this one I have read, where I wasn't hugely upset by what happened. (view spoiler)

Also in Dreaming of You by Lisa Kleypas, which I haven't read in a few years and really want to read again soon, Derek, "off screen" sleeps with a prostitute that looks like Sara, but since he and Sara weren't together at that point, she left and he stayed at his club, and I think Sara was engaged to someone else, with all those factors, again I didn't like it but I found no fault in Derek's actions either.

So yes, there are times, if it's written right and the circumstances are something I can understand, that I'm ok with adultry/cheating in a romance novel.

message 8: by ~Megan~ (new)

~Megan~ (Megadee) | 1084 comments Mod
Even if I find the author can make me believe it is okay within the storyline, I ALWAYS experience a squicky feeling. Even things like looking at or lusting after another woman can really take me out of the story. I might can "live with it", but it always detracts from the story for me personally.

message 9: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Oct 21, 2012 08:10AM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish So far it seems like we all have a serious issues with adultery in romance novels, and often for the same reasons. For me, regardless of whether the situation is understandable or not, I too get a bad feeling when it happens.

I recently read a book for review which was the 2nd book in the series. I didn't know this going in, but apparently the H/h from book 1 end up cheating on each other, get separated, get pregnant by other people... it's a mess. The author tells me that their relationship will be 'tested' and that over the course of the next couple books, they'll make amends and get back together.

My feeling about this, having not read any more of the books, is that I'm not going to be okay with them or their relationship, ever. The trust is gone, the hero complains that he basically didn't know what he was getting when he married her, etc. I don't think the author can make this scenario work for me.

message 10: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 368 comments I have issues with it also, while quite a few authors try to justify it by making the "cheater" be perfect otherwise is just desensitizing the reader. before long it'll be socially acceptable.

i also feel the same way about the word rape. by coupling it with things like mind and/or emotional. its another word people have become desensitized to.

message 11: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 701 comments I think you all bring up good points and I find myself agreeing with many of them.

I have a related question. I know a lot of us read PNR, often the hero knows he met the one. Yet he doesn't approach her for whatever reason, even goes on sleeping with other people. Later they get together. My question then is...Do you consider this a form of cheating? Do you think less of the person for these actions when he knows he has already met his match?

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Darcy, that's a great question and falls into the "under any circumstances" category. For me, if the heroine is being hurt by his actions, then it's a cut and dry "no way", but if she isn't aware, or doesn't share his knowledge or affection, if he has any affection, then it wouldn't bother me too much.

message 13: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 368 comments Darcy -- for me it isn't cheating if they never got together/haven't gotten together yet. together means they've both acknowledged to each other that they want to(or at least try to) be with each other. until they do its just unrequited love/lust/affection in my mind.

Steamywindows♥♫ (Steamywindows) | 59 comments Pat wrote: "Darcy -- for me it isn't cheating if they never got together/haven't gotten together yet. together means they've both acknowledged to each other that they want to(or at least try to) be with each o..."

So to play the devil's advocate for a moment, why would it be cheating if the SO didn't know about it?

message 15: by Lauren (new)

Lauren (MsThestral) Adultery is a betrayal and for me undermines the basic premise of a romance so it is completely unacceptable. If it happens in a book I'm reading, I usually DNF because it is a deal breaker for me.

That said, I'm not sure I would consider the circumstances described in the Ugly Duchess as adultery - as Ross says to Rachel "we were one a break" :0)

message 16: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (Sunnytat462) | 701 comments See that is my issue. It technically isn't cheating as the other person isn't in the know yet, BUT it does make me think bad of the guy because he knows and still goes about doing whatever ignoring it.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Lauren wrote: "That said, I'm not sure I would consider the circumstances described in the Ugly Duchess as adultery - as Ross says to Rachel "we were one a break" :0)

Yeah, and in this case the hero thought it was over, permanently. I really didn't consider it cheating, either, but others have which got me thinking about it and, ultimately, is why I asked this question.

message 18: by Elaine (last edited Oct 21, 2012 01:31PM) (new)

Elaine (queenelaine) Desiree wrote: "Even though, no matter what the circumstances, I don't like reading/knowing that one character has cheated on the other, there are certain instances where although I don't like it, I'm ok with it. ... The book Sinful by Charlotte Featherstone is another, this one I have read, where I wasn't hugely upset by what happened."

I agree. And despite the fact that it was appropriate in Sinful, as a period piece, it still bothered me when it happened.

As a reader I feel violated by infidelity, in a romance novel. I think I'm a pretty tolerant and open reader, but adultery oversteps my boundaries.

message 19: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 368 comments Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "Pat wrote: "Darcy -- for me it isn't cheating if they never got together/haven't gotten together yet. together means they've both acknowledged to each other that they want to(or at least try to) be..."

Steamy I agree with you with if they haven't gotten toether it isn't cheating. so maybe your're question was tacked to the wrong post.

Steamywindows♥♫ (Steamywindows) | 59 comments Pat wrote: "Steamywindows♥♫ wrote: "Pat wrote: "Darcy -- for me it isn't cheating if they never got together/haven't gotten together yet. together means they've both acknowledged to each other that they want t..."

my apologies Pat.

message 21: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (studioeastrat) | 511 comments I don't like cheating in my romances. I suppose that I CAN be ok with it under the right circumstances. But...and that is a big but, it does make me lose a little respect for the hero/heroine. For example, I loved the book Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon but it did bother me that she was still married when she got together with Jamie. It made me like her less.

message 22: by Faithmarie (new)

Faithmarie Is there going to be a poll taken? LOL

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Faithmarie wrote: "Is there going to be a poll taken? LOL"

Whew! There might just be! But the hard thing is, when we break it down and reallly talk about it, we find that maybe it's not cut and dry.

message 24: by Faithmarie (new)

Faithmarie True... but it is for me...lol Only because I try and make sure I don't read a book where the H/h are the adulterers in it.

message 25: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Oct 21, 2012 07:34PM) (new)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) (Gatadelafuente) | 9533 comments Mod
Adultery always bothers me. I agree with those who have mentioned the icky feeling. I also think Pat made a good point about justifying it is a way of making it socially acceptable. I think there is a lot of justifying cheating on TV and movies and books, and from a person whose family was destroyed by that, I can't be casual about it. To me, married is married. If you have sex with someone else while you are married, that's adultery. I don't consider separation as not being married anymore. I don't want to read this in a book. I realize that divorces were hard to obtain in the past, and this comes up, but I'd rather not even read about that scenario. My sister was talking about a book she had to read for review with adultery and it ruined what sounded like a good story for me. I just can't get past it.

Cheating which does not involve marital infidelity is also hard to deal with it, but it's less of a moral issue for me than marital infidelity. I view marriage as a covenant and a sacrament. I still don't like any cheating, even if they aren't married. Like Elaine said, I feel violated by cheating/adultery.

As far as Dreaming of You, I read that so long ago, and I think that was before they were involved, so it didn't bother me that much. If it had happened while they were involved or when they broke up, and I was reading it now, it probably would bother me more.

I honestly wish authors wouldn't go there. It just ruins the romance to me to some degree (sometimes more than others).

message 26: by Daisy Sloan (new)

Daisy Sloan | 13 comments Adultery is a deal breaker for me in romance novels. It makes me dislike whoever did the cheating. I also then question everything they do and say in the novel. To me it doesn't add anything to the story and only takes away from it.

In Destined to Play the heroine cheated on her hubby. I have no idea why Indigo Bloome felt it necessary to make the heroine married. It added absolutely NOTHING to the novel. I would have liked the story but I was so disturbed by the adultery I couldn't like it.

Nope. No Adultery.

What you described in The Ugly Duchess is not adultery to me. That is the equivalent of a couple being separated in real life. They've broken up. While they may still be legally married, they're not together and the expectations are different.

It all comes down to expectations.

For example: I love menage stories. Even if two of them are married. It's not adultery because both people are involved with the third and it's agreed upon.

Again, expectations.

message 27: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) I didn't mind the adultery in The Ugly Duchess either, though I did still get a bit of an uncomfortable feeling about it. Yea, they were split, and yea, neither one of them thought they would ever reunite, but it still kinda made me feel weird.
Normally though, cheating is a huge turn-off for me. I won't quit reading the book or anything, but it just bugs me. I hate the idea of it. Growing up my mom was a serial cheater, leading to 2 divorces, and then when I had my first real boyfriend, it turned out he was too, and I just have huge personal issues with it. To me it's not just sex that is cheating. I'd be pissed if my guy even kissed another girl (and I'm not talking a family-style peck, I mean kiss kiss). Hell, I'd be pissed if he even went and did something with another girl like go out for a walk, or a drink or a meal with no touching involved. Sorry, but I don't roll that way, that is a relationship ender for me. I put up with it when I was young, I refuse to do it again. Sh*t like that makes me want to equip all men who are in a relationship with chastity belts that only come off when their woman wants it to, lol! But it definitely bothers me way more in real life than it does reading about it.

message 28: by Arch (last edited Oct 22, 2012 12:44PM) (new)

Arch  | 4083 comments Mod
I don't like adultery, so it's not okay to me. I don't even want to see a hero mess around on his girlfriend.

message 29: by Steph (new)

Steph (steph1186) | 17 comments This is a really interesting conversation. And very relevant to two books (as part of a trilogy) that I recently read that deal with this exact issue of adultery.

I recently read S.C Stephens' Thoughtless and Effortless (third book out in March 2013). Stephens does not shy away from the controversial "affair" as the first book revolves around the lead female having one with her boyfriend's roommate/friend. Normally I would never read subject matter like this but for some reason I decided to give it a go. I have to say it was one of my favourite books this year.

It ended up being a story that didn't shy away from any detail or complexities, and Stephens really gives the reader a play-by-play of the entire experience - no skimming or skipping moments whether happy or sad - in this one. And it really showcased how anyone is liable to cheat (the lead female is portrayed as a shy, prudish, and introverted young woman). We also witness that particular moment when someone first cheats, and how it can then essentially spiral out of control. Every emotion there is I felt it during this book and Stephen's also made it so that I couldn't always understand why someone would do these things to someone else, the "someone else" being a very likable boyfriend. It was extremely infuriating at times but I could tell that that was exactly what the author would have wanted out of her reader. This book didn't make light of the situation, especially when everything did eventually come to blows, and the second book definitely focused on the trust issues that come to head from such an experience. That being said, I would still definitely recommend this book but ONLY to those who would be willing to read such an emotionally charged book that deals with a very complex and touchy subject. Seriously, if you can't handle it, don't read it!!!!!

I can't relate to the story or cheating personally, but I have a couple of best friends where one was cheated on, and the other did the cheating. I don't ever condone or encourage that behaviour since I've seen how badly it can hurt someone, and because it's simply a really shitty thing to do to a person, but I've also learned not to condemn someone on the spot for cheating. There is often more to it than just being with someone else, and while it's still wrong, we are human, and humans are often prone to errors with a times impulsive behaviours. I need the whole story before making any kind of judgement. That may be why I like Stephens work so much. You didn't just get fragments of what went down, you GOT EVERYTHING, and it seemed terrifyingly realistic at times and really had me reflecting on it once I finished it.

Here are the books if you are curious (or want to make sure you never ever add it to your TBR):
Thoughtless (Thoughtless, #1) by S.C. Stephens
Thoughtless
Effortless (Thoughtless, #2) by S.C. Stephens
Effortless

I would also categorize it as New Adult Contemporary Romance

message 30: by Faithmarie (new)

Faithmarie I read those and I ended up loving the hero and wanting to beat the girl up.... lol They were the most stressful books for me. I had to keep writing to a friend on GR as she helped me through the them.

message 31: by Steph (new)

Steph (steph1186) | 17 comments Faithmarie wrote: "I read those and I ended up loving the hero and wanting to beat the girl up.... lol They were the most stressful books for me. I had to keep writing to a friend on GR as she helped me through the..."

Kiera is very tough to love because of... well EVERYTHING in Thoughtless... I do prefer her in Effortless though. I thought Stephens matured her character. She's not perfect, and she still blushes for friken everything, but she's not as infuriating in Effortless to me. AS much as I love Kellen in the books, he's also far from perfect and had moments where he drove me up the wall.

These are stressful books. I agree 100% with you there. I still really liked them though and want to finish the trilogy.

message 32: by Faithmarie (new)

Faithmarie There is an other one??? Oh I will read it... I don't like stressful unless I have someone who has read the book and I can vent to ... oh and I always have to have my HEA. Shallow? I know ... but that is just me. Life is stressful enough without my escape and enjoyment being stressful.

message 33: by Steamywindows♥♫ (last edited Oct 22, 2012 04:00PM) (new)

Steamywindows♥♫ (Steamywindows) | 59 comments For me, there is tremendous personal angst about the cheating theme and I am very cautious about choosing books with this element. I also agree with the comments about the victim - I don't want her to role over and say kick me. But the process of atonement is two sided, don't you think? To feel remorse, seek absolution on the one side but also for the other to give forgiveness? But what constitutes "unforgivable"?

message 34: by Steph (new)

Steph (steph1186) | 17 comments Faithmarie wrote: "There is an other one??? Oh I will read it... I don't like stressful unless I have someone who has read the book and I can vent to ... oh and I always have to have my HEA. Shallow? I know ... but..."

Yep. And the title worries me about the last book.... Reckless... It's supposed to be out in March. I definitely plan on reading it, so should you need another person to vent to, I'm here!!! ;)
And i'm totally in agreement of requiring an HEA. and for the same reasons as you!!!! I need an HEA, i'm fregin hoping for an HEA... Those two need to make it. NEED TO....

message 35: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Oct 22, 2012 04:05PM) (new)

Oh, man. That process of dealing with cheating is so deep and so painful. So much energy needs to be spent on forgiving and repairing that broken part of a relationship. Trust once betrayed is not the same. You have to give it sacrificially again, and that's not easy.

Steamywindows, as far as forgiving, I 100% believe in it. It's healthy for yourself even more than the transgressor. But that doesn't mean your relationship will ever be the same. It can't after that.

message 36: by Faithmarie (new)

Faithmarie Steph wrote: "Faithmarie wrote: "There is an other one??? Oh I will read it... I don't like stressful unless I have someone who has read the book and I can vent to ... oh and I always have to have my HEA. Shal..."

Yes! Thank you I will need your help! LOL

message 37: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Wimberly (lovehina154) | 51 comments I don't care if a book has it in its story makes me want to read more and see the drama unfold. I have read books and is actually reading one with far worse stuff than adultery in it

message 38: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 7 comments I don't care if it's in a novel, but it has to be a situation I can get on board with. I guess it depends on who and why. Not an interesting answer, but it's the truth.

message 39: by Sunny☼ (new)

Sunny☼ (Sunny2) | 146 comments I know I am coming into the thread late but I just finished the Ugly Duchess the other day. I rated it a 4 star and I have no idea why..I left the write up empty.
The reason James' infidelity bothered me so much is that he was such a wimp about it. He could have come home at any time. His excusses about his father's death were just that...excusses. Theo took the whole thing too lightly and he entered his years of three mistresses too lightly. Changing your name to Jack Hawk doesn't wipe the slate clean.
I couldn't put the darn book down so I gave it a 4. I hated so much about it I would give it a -4 ...So how do you write up a story like that.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish LOL!! I love it, sunny! Obviously it evoked deep emotions for you, which is good. Sometimes.

message 41: by Sunny☼ (new)

Sunny☼ (Sunny2) | 146 comments It is going to be one of those books that haunt you..your mind keeps going back to it and you stew a little more. LOL

message 42: by UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish (last edited Oct 23, 2012 02:30PM) (new)

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish ☼sunny☼ wrote: "It is going to be one of those books that haunt you..your mind keeps going back to it and you stew a little more. LOL"

Well, truth be told, I didn't really see it as adultery, sunny. She tossed him out, threatened to have his dad tossed in prison, or worse, if he came back.... she was pretty clear that it was over. He didn't want to go, but she left him no choice. Not even divorce was possible under the circumstances. Only having him declared dead would free her from the marriage, and that's exactly what she planned to do.

I really don't have a problem with it, not a big problem anyway.

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "☼sunny☼ wrote: "It is going to be one of those books that haunt you..your mind keeps going back to it and you stew a little more. LOL"

Well, truth be told, I didn't really see it as adultery, sunn..."

I have to agree with you UniquelyMoi, I don't see it as adultry either for all the reasons you mentioned. A good many of Elouisa James books have adultry in them and it is used as a obstical for the H/h to get over.It seems to me that it was the 'done thing' in the time period she is writing about. I really enjoy her books and the adultry wouldn't stop me from reading them.

message 44: by Sunny☼ (new)

Sunny☼ (Sunny2) | 146 comments I am with you Laura on loving James' books...Just noticed last name is same as hero in UD. And as Dhes said, the book got a rise out of me so can't be bad..I guess I was just hoping for more of a commitment to each other from both characters.

message 45: by Gwen (new)

Gwen (GwenK) | 161 comments I don't like adultery in romance novels, but I do believe that there maybe one circumstance that I'd probably accept it, and that is an abusive relationship.

message 46: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 29, 2012 06:14AM) (new)

interesting thread - one of the RULES I picked up when I started out writing, is that for a romance once the hero and heroine meet they cannot go off with anyone else. Interesting point with paranormal romance with a mate type bond if they meet but don't realise what they are to each other or one sees the other but tries to ignore it

message 47: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (Spaz_Girl) A few comments on other posts before my own comment, insight, and question on the subject.

Darcy: I think that is an interesting question. Personally, once I've some emotional connection (whether the other has yet or not) I am not capable of seeing other people. I've been that way my whole life. When I was just 16 I fancied myself "in love" with a boy and I immediately broke up with the person I was dating (and it was a long distance dating, so it wasn't that serious) and just accepted the other person's friendship for nine months before he came to the realization that he was "in love with me too. For that nine months before hand though, I was already emotionally "in it" and not "available" regardless of my single status.

Steph: What you describe regarding Thoughtless and Effortless seems to me that that is the authors entire intent, to write a book that makes you question actions and behaviors, and I think those kinds of books are very important. We should all read books that make us question things, that is how we grow I think. I can't say I would think of it as a "romance" series though personally. Sounds like something I would love to read though for the thought provoking aspect and to get a glimpse of what the characters are thinking and agonizing over as these actions are happening.

My thoughts on cheating = broken trust... yes, cheating does break the entire element of trust in a relationship, but so do so many other non-cheating actions, and each of them take a lot of time and effort to repair. I am not sure it is fair to act like cheating is the only thing that can cause this rift, but that's just me.

One thing I am VERY curious about...
This is a "Dangerous Hero Addict Support Group" and a discussion on adultery within that group...
A few years ago I started the Lords of Darkness series by Gena Showalter and I got too busy and never finished it (despite loving it). I have not heard The Darkest Seduction mentioned a single time in this discussion. I wonder, did she find a way around the demon of Promiscuity's problem? How is he not mentioned in this discussion??

Also: (unrelated) am I seriously the only person on the planet that doesn't like Eloisa James?? I've tried and tried because so many friends and beloved authors rave about her, but I've never been happy with the results. I am going to try again for next months "When Beauty Tamed the Beast" but only because I love Beauty and the Beast retellings and I want to be involved in a book discussion. It bugs me though that no one shares the apparent quirk that I have regarding her books.

message 48: by Daisy Sloan (new)

Daisy Sloan | 13 comments Kristina wrote: "Also: (unrelated) am I seriously the only person on the planet that doesn't like Eloisa James?? I've tried and tried because so many friends and beloved authors rave about her, but I've never been happy with the results. I am going to try again for next months "When Beauty Tamed the Beast" but only because I love Beauty and the Beast retellings and I want to be involved in a book discussion. It bugs me though that no one shares the apparent quirk that I have regarding her books. "

I'm not that fond of Eloisa James either. I have a hard time with her books and finally just gave up reading them.

message 49: by Pamela(AllHoney), Danger Zone (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 1700 comments Mod
Lee *show me the smut* Anne wrote: "Kristina wrote: "Also: (unrelated) am I seriously the only person on the planet that doesn't like Eloisa James?? I've tried and tried because so many friends and beloved authors rave about her, but..."

I have yet to read one. I picked one or two up and couldn't get pass the first chapter. I haven't given up on her yet though.

message 50: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books), Loves 'Em Lethal (last edited Oct 29, 2012 10:07AM) (new)

I have only read one Eloisa James. I have a few of hers in the pile, but I haven't been drawn to read her as much as other authors. I am going to be reading When Beauty Tames the Beast and I will give her another try.

Kristina, I don't think adultery is the only thing that can break trust, but I do think it's such a deep betrayal that it probably has more impact in destroying a marriage than other things, but that's just me. Personally, I can't abide falsehood and dishonesty, so if I was married to a man who was faithful to me, but still lying habitually about other things, that would probably be a very huge obstacle to sustaining a marriage for me.

As far as Paris in the LOTU series, I haven't read far enough to answer your question. I'll get back to you on that.

« previous 1