Edgy Christian Fiction Lovers discussion

Lists

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (rprensner) Here is my list of Edgy Christian Books:
Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers
Blink, by Ted Dekker
Blessed Child and A Man Called Blessed by Ted Dekker (or anything else by him)

message 2: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (Michelle_Sutton) | 55 comments Mod
Good list! What about in the last few years? Those have all been out quite a while.

message 3: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (amandamholland) | 3 comments I love Redeeming Love also! Have you read any of Ted Dekker's latest? Adam is one of his best ever, I also liked Boneman's Daughters and I'm looking forward to The Bride Collector.

message 4: by Shawna (new)

Shawna Williams (shawnaKWilliams) | 3 comments Francine Rivers, Redeeming Love, Mark of the Lion Series, And the Shofar Blew,
Deeanne Gist, Courting Trouble
Karen Kingsbury, A Moment of Weakness, Oceans Apart
Michelle Sutton, In Plain Sight :)

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Sweet, Shawna! Thanks for mentioning me!

I loved Boneman's Daughters and Adam. :)

My family has read the circle trilogy (black, red, white and green). I haven't. Rooms by James Rubart is awesome. It's a bit like House, I hear, but better.

message 6: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 8 comments I loved the Circle Trilogy by Dekker but some of his other books are a little less my taste ~ I think they're well written but I'm just not really into the horror and murder plot lines. I read a few of them, but ended up passing them on to others who would appreciate them more.

I'm a big fan of Michelle's books. :o)

I loved the Mark of the Lion, The Scarlet Thread and Redeeming Love.

Julie Lessman is one of my very favorite authors. I can't wait for A Hope Undaunted to come out.

Deanne Gist is good too. I pre-ordered her latest. :o)

I'm not very good at thinking of who is "edgy" because I just look for good characters and there are so many things that can seem "edgy" to publishers these days ~ pushing the borders on romance, having controversial subject matter (like abortion, divorce and that sort of thing), even being speculative may be considered edgy since most publishers won't touch it ~ and I think mixing genres is too. Though think about some of the really popular titles like Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. She mixes romance with time travel, so it both historical & contemporary romance, feminist issues (a female doctor in both times is looked down upon), divorce or polygamy, church corruption, prejudice, and a bunch of other issues.

What pulls it all together and makes people overlook even the things that we may find offensive is her characters and how very authentic they are. The story sounds outrageous and yet the people ground it and you want to believe in them and pull for them. I know it isn't Christian fiction - but I was just using it as an example.

message 7: by Study375 (new)

Study375 | 4 comments Check out the new book A Love Song for Bethany by Stephen K. Bess. There is a website at alovesongforbethany@yahoo.com It's beyond 'edgy' It's very Christian, making arguments that have contemporary revelience, yet it also deals in erotica. It's romantic, but it will make you think. I think every one should read it.

message 8: by Michelle (new)

How does it deal in erotica? You lost me there. Is it erotica itself or does she address the subject in her book?

message 9: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 8 comments It IS erotica. I looked up the site. He is making new claims about what the Bible really says about premarital sex. I read some info at the site and I think the author (Study375?) was studying to be a minister or pastor too ...

So beyond edgy is the only appropriate label.

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Lee wrote: "It IS erotica. I looked up the site. He is making new claims about what the Bible really says about premarital sex. I read some info at the site and I think the author (Study375?) was studying to b..."

Oh, geez, does that mean the book advocates for premarital sex? Is this fiction or non-fiction?

message 11: by Ashley (last edited Apr 28, 2010 12:48PM) (new)

Ashley | 2 comments Michelle wrote: "Oh, geez, does that mean the book advocates for premarital sex?

I checked out the books web site and that was exactly what I was thinking, Michelle.

message 12: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 8 comments From what I can tell it is their story - or that is how it is framed. He wants to "enlighten" all of us that are stuck with the old and mistaken mindset - plus help those that feel lost, lonely and misunderstood by the "church."

I really get kind of upset by people who use their "theological training" or knowledge to mislead people like this. The Bible is pretty clear:

1 Corinthians 7:8-10 (New American Standard Bible)

But I say to the unmarried and to widows that it is good for them if they remain even as I. But if they do not have self-control, let them marry; for it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

It isn't rated anywhere by anyone that I can find - yet. I think it's self published and maybe if it doesn't get any attention it will just go away.

message 13: by Michelle (new)

I totally hear you. While my characters usually deal with sexual attraction and think they want things they shouldn't have, I never once give you the message that it's a great idea. It causes heartache and stress. That is what I show. And I love sex. I would never make it as a single person. But I remember when I was single how hard it was, so I write about things people can identify with and relate to. But I never say it's great to fornicate (hey that rhymes.) :)

message 14: by Ashley (last edited Apr 28, 2010 08:00PM) (new)

Ashley | 2 comments Amen, Lee & Michelle! Just another crackpot author to steer clear of, thats for sure.

message 15: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 8 comments Michelle wrote: "I totally hear you. While my characters usually deal with sexual attraction and think they want things they shouldn't have, I never once give you the message that it's a great idea. It causes heart..."

See - that is the right and healthy message. Sex isn't bad or ugly - it's just for marriage. I think the people that avoid the topic altogether and don't prepare our young people to deal with temptation are doing them harm, but the message that this person is trying to send is even worse.

Ashley is right, this is just a crackpot. What you write is what is defined as truly edgy - this guy is just writing trash.

message 16: by Michelle (new)

Here is a book all you edgy Christian fiction lovers need to keep your eye out for. Reinventing Rachel by Alison Strobel! I just finished reading that book for endorsement and WOW is it good. Same with Valeria's Cross by Kathi Macias! WOW, wow! Ironically I was asked to endorse both of them, probably because they were so edgy. I loved them both, probably the most of the books I've read so far this year!

message 17: by Margaret (last edited May 24, 2010 10:34PM) (new)

Margaret Metz | 8 comments I'll have to look them up and see what they're about. Thanks for the heads up. :o)

I tried to look up Reinventing Rachel and couldn't get a "blurb" about it anywhere. Could you tell us more about what the book is about? Is it a romance? Women's fiction?

message 18: by Michelle (new)

This is the blurb posted on CBD.

God rewards the faithful! That's what Rachel Westing believes---until her fiance cheats on her and her parents divorce. So she takes her shattered "self" and moves cross-country to live with her friend Daphne---the makeover master! The change is exciting, but what will Rachel do when another tragedy unravels what's left of who she is? 240 pages, softcover from Cook.

I don't see it as chick lit, even though the title sounds that way. It's more contemp fiction or women's fiction. I posted a review on my site.

message 19: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 8 comments lol I checked Goodreads and Amazon and couldn't find anything. I should have thought to look at CBD. :o) It sounds good.

message 20: by Study375 (new)

Study375 | 4 comments Have you read 'A Love Song for Bethany' yet? www.alovesongforbethany.com I really want to hear what people who have read this boook think.

message 21: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Metz | 8 comments We already talked about it in this thread. I don't think you have any fans here.

message 22: by Study375 (new)

Study375 | 4 comments Check out 'Kisses with Dreams in Them.' Great new romance novel.
https://www.amazon.com/Kisses-Dreams-...