Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Archives > looking for Kiwi author's name

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Hi Everyone - hoping you can help. I recently saw a programme on tv about an NZ author and what sounded like a really interesting book he wrote. I think the author may have been an ex rugby player. At the time I was sure I would remember the author's name and the title of the book (yeah right!). Guess you know how that turned out... Any ideas who this might be? Thanks! Colleen

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Oct 20, 2012 12:44AM) (new)

Sarah Any other information? After all, this is NZ where there are hundreds of books by ex-rugby players. :)
Any info on the topic or subject might help narrow it down.

message 3: by Lesley (last edited Oct 19, 2012 11:44PM) (new)

Lesley | 1537 comments If it wasn't too long ago and you remember the TV channel the interview may still be available on demand - unless it was a brief interview as part of a news item. Richie McCaw has just released one title The Open Side.
Was the book about rugby? John Kirwan writes books about depression, but I'm not sure if he has released anything since All Blacks Don't Cry.

message 4: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Thanks for the replies Sarah and Ella's Gran. Didn't realize so many ex-rugby players wrote books! The author has done several novel type books - I cannot even remember if they were fiction or non-fiction. Not much help I know, and very frustrating for me. I was keen to get stuck into more Kiwi literature. I will visit the library and ask, maybe I will recollect more as I talk to a librarian?! Worst case, I don't find the book I am blindly groping for, but some other good Kiwi books instead. :-)

message 5: by Sarah (last edited Oct 20, 2012 08:53PM) (new)

Sarah Love and Money by Greg McGee
This is by Greg McGee, a former rugby player and an author. This is his latest work of fiction released this year but he also helped an All Black write his autobiography. I don't know if you've heard of him, Richie McCaw? ;) lol
Perhaps he was in the news lately due to these two books being published this year.

message 6: by Lesley (last edited Oct 20, 2012 09:26PM) (new)

Lesley | 1537 comments Sarah wrote: "Love and Money by Greg McGee
This is by Greg McGee, a former rugby player and an author. This is his latest work of fiction released this year but he also helped an All Black write his autob..."

Aha,exactly right. I remember now. He was interviewed just recently having been to the Frankfurt Book Fair to promote his first thriller writing in his female pseudonym of Alix Bosco. Can't remember the title sorry.

message 7: by Angie (new)

Angie (Seren-Lucy) | 1147 comments On a similar note, I was driving home around midday today and was listening to a really interesting interview on Radio Live. It was with a lady who has written a book for early teens based (I think) on her father's experiences in WWII. I got home before I heard her name or the name of the book. Any ideas?

message 8: by Kerry (new)

Kerry | 65 comments I didn't hear that interview but sounds like Tricia Glensor's book Telling Lies.

message 9: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1537 comments Angie wrote: "On a similar note, I was driving home around midday today and was listening to a really interesting interview on Radio Live. It was with a lady who has written a book for early teens based (I think..."

I heard that too Angie. It was Tricia Glensor being interviewed about her book Telling Lies. It was based on her father's experiences taken from his diary in WWII. He was in the RAF, shot down and looked after by members of the French Freedom Fighters.

This diary is held at Wigram, and Kerren Chiaroni used the content of the same diary to write her book The Last of the Human Freedoms published a year or two back from memory.

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie (Seren-Lucy) | 1147 comments Awesome. Thanks for your help :)

message 11: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1537 comments Angie wrote: "Awesome. Thanks for your help :)"

You are welcome. Could be a couple of good titles to add to our to read collections.

message 12: by Colleen (new)

Colleen I haven't found any more info re my first post BUT, was at the library today and discovered Kate DeGoldi! I've started reading The 10 PM Question. Love that it is set in Christchurch. Very excited about reading more from Kiwi authors. I'll be looking at Telling Lies, above. Who are your favourite Kiwi authors of favourite Kiwi books? Colleen