Science and Inquiry discussion

General > Paperback, hardback or ebook

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by William (new)

William (acknud) Which would you rather read? I think hardback is my least favorite. You are limited in position and comfort. They are better at providing illustrations but to me not much else.

Paperback - Probably my favorite. I like to read in bed. This is a great medium for tossing and turning. They are usually light and easily manipulated. I like them a little broke in as well.

Ebook - I read a lot of ebooks on my HP Ipaq. The pages are small but you don't need a light because it is backlit. I like the size of my ipaq because it is easily handled and easy to take everywhere.

Thoughts?

message 2: by Chantel (new)

Chantel | 8 comments I'd have to say my preference would be paperback as well. Not only are they light, bendy and portable but I enjoy the sweet smell of older books and the crisp inky smell of new ones.

As for hardbacks, they can be bulky and awkward but you're right William they are better for illustrations. I also like to give them as gifts since they seem more impressive.

I haven't really tried ebooks yet. I think I'm just stuck in my old habits. I'd like to start though, that way I don't keep cluttering up my home with new books.

A friend of mine likes to listen to the audio versions of books. This would definitely be my least favorite option since I really need the visuals to retain any information.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 368 comments I really don't have a preference between paperback and hardback. There was a period after my stroke when it had to be hardback, and I'm very glad I'm past that limitation in my reading. Hardbacks often have better illustrations, though, which can be very useful with science.

I've never read an ebook.

message 4: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Black | 39 comments I like hardback. Less chance for damage if they happen to get sucked into the couch, or wedged onto a shelf that's already a little tight. Plus the dust jackets make handy bookmarks.

message 5: by Stéphanie (new)

Stéphanie (stephlrx) | 3 comments For leisure, I prefer paperback but if it's a reference book, I prefer a hardcover. Like mentionned before, hardcovers have better pictures/illustrations. (They can also stay open on their own so it's practical if used to study...)

I've never read an ebook. I've always wanted to try one... Has anyone seen the new Amazon Kindle 2?

message 6: by Carolyn (new)

Carolyn Ivy (carolynivystein) I most prefer eBooks that work on the Kindle because it allows me to vary the text size to deal with my difficult eyesight. Otherwise, I can't read paperbacks at all when my contacts are in and hardcovers are often difficult as well. Of physical books I most prefer hardcovers, which feel substantial in my hands and have clearer text that doesn't bend around as much as paperbacks (thus messing with my ability to read).

I also love audio books. In fact, there are times when I work so many hours (60-80 in a week) that I would get no "reading" done at all if it weren't for books I could listen to as I worked.

message 7: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 23 comments Mine depends on the book, if it's one I'm just going to read the once and then pass on I tend to go for paperbacks but if it's one I'm going to keep and want to read or refer to again I prefer hardbacks.

I haven't tried e-books but I'm not sure I'd get on with them as I find it difficult to read reports and such like on my computer screen so often end up having to print them out before the information actually goes in.

message 8: by Patricrk (new)

Patricrk patrick | 136 comments I mostly read hardback. I've started a book on e-reader and after 8 weeks it is still on the to read list. I use to listen to audio books when I was commuting but now that I've retired I have pretty well quit that. Paperbacks or for travel or when I may actually buy a book rather than check it out of the library.

message 9: by Brian (new)

Brian (vonbrownz) Anything that I can get on my Kindle. Love the "robot reader" while I commute and the small size for reading in bed. Wouldn't trade it for anything!

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna (donnahr) I've never been a big fan of hardbacks--too heavy and awkward to read in bed. Ever dropped one on your face? I am now hooked on my Kindle. I never thought I would go to an e-reader, but I have to say I absolutely love it. I do still read paperbacks though, as not everything (especially science books) is available on the Kindle.

message 11: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 3 comments I like paperback best, and I think I would like Kindle-type screens about equally. I spend too much time looking at screens during the day, so if I'm reading a book for fun, I don't want to stare at yet another screen.

Audio books are awesome for when I'm doing something else but still have enough brain power left to listen.

message 12: by Larry (new)

Larry (hal9000i) ebook if I had a decent reader, but I couldnt get rid of my first edition David Attenboroughs!

Nydia “Cookie” | 15 comments Ahh...the smell of books.....love it! Has anyone read Shadow of the Wind? I wouldn't want all books to go to the "cemetery of forgotten books"

message 14: by Shawn (last edited Apr 25, 2010 07:08PM) (new)

Shawn | 3 comments Also wanted to add an exception, especially since this is a non-fiction group: for anything where I'm going to be taking notes while reading, I much prefer it to be on the screen, so I can comfortably type, read, and take notes all at once. I can't wait for libraries to have more books in digital formats so I can read (or skim or search) them more easily while taking notes as I do with journal articles (almost all digital now!) all the time.

message 15: by Betsy, co-mod (last edited Apr 08, 2012 04:05PM) (new)

Betsy | 1759 comments Mod
Kindle is my preference. As others, I don't like to read on the computer, but a kindle screen is very different; no eye strain.

However, illustrations, graphs, charts, and maps are a definite problem. One of the things I've started doing, when I'm reading a science book or other nonfiction with graphics of some kind, is keep my tablet handy. I don't like to read on it -- it's a little too big and heavy -- but it's a great reference for the illustrations. Still not as well rendered as a hardback book, but much better than the kindle.

It was great when I was reading Earth: An Intimate History. I read on the kindle and kept my tablet on Google maps, so I could follow along the author's detailed place descriptions.

message 16: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Chaffin (kennychaffin) I'm probably half-and-half with paperback and ebooks at this point. I'm leaning more and more to ebooks.
I really dislike reading books on a computer, but it's great on my Kindle(s) or Xoom tablet.

message 17: by Catherine (new)

Catherine (catjackson) I absolutely love my Kindle and will be moving to the Kindle Fire shortly so I'll be able to surf the Web if I need to look anything up as I'm reading. I also have Kindle apps on my laptop and smartphone; if I'm in a long line at the grocery store I can get in a little bit of reading on the phone. The screen's not good for long-time reading, but it'll do for a wait in line. I do still like paper back books, though. There is nothing like the feel of a tree book, or the smell!

message 18: by Eric (new)

Eric Bingham | 72 comments I got a kindle, but haven't used it much. I prefer the good old book in the hand. It doesn't matter to me whether it's hardback or paper, although if its a book I really like, I prefer hardback just for the "long lasting" factor. I like paperbacks for convenience and for portability. I've been disappointed with my kindle for a few reasons:
1- It doesn't show page numbers. (It shows percentages of how close I am to the end, but those percentages stay the same for many pages in most books.)
2- The particular kindle that I have has the page turn buttons in the worst possible spot so I'm always turning pages on accident when I'm trying to hold my kindle.
3- The kindle costs so much that I hardly dare take it with me when I go places, so I mostly only use it at home. For example, I'm not worried if my $10 book gets a little wear and tear when I'm camping, but I'm terrified to take my Kindle camping with me.
4- I've been disappointed with the price of Kindle books. I can usually get the actual book for cheaper after I use coupons etc..., and often the book version is cheaper even without any coupons.
I had hoped to transition over to a kindle (for the sake of my bulging bookshelves,) but I haven't been able to fully "convert" yet, and I still feel like you just can't beat the feel and smell of a good old fashioned book.

message 19: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 23 comments Since my previous post I have downloaded some (free) software that allows me to read e-books on my PSP and I have tried a few e-books (again only the free ones). I didn't find them too bad to read and it is quite useful for carrying around a number of books and its very useful when out at night doing survey work, I'm still not completely convinced. I am definintely in the real book camp and can't see me moving any time soon.

message 20: by David (last edited Apr 11, 2012 01:41AM) (new)

David Rubenstein | 918 comments Mod
I have been sorely tempted to get an e-reader. It would be very useful during a long business trip--but I haven't been on a long trip recently. Also, most of the books I read are from the library. In addition I listen to a lot of audiobooks, which I download from the library's web site.

message 21: by Sam (new)

Sam (ecowitch) | 23 comments David wrote: "I have been sorely tempted to get an e-reader. It would be very useful during a long business trip--but I haven't been on a long trip recently. Also, most of the books I read are from the library. ..."

I think most libraries do have a way of loaning e-books, I know my local libraries do. Not entirely sure how that works though...

message 22: by Kenny (new)

Kenny Chaffin (kennychaffin) Yes David and Sam, I'm a long-time ebook reader. I have access to two local libraries (Denver and Aurora) that both lend ebooks (as well as audio books) in either EPUB format (Sony, Nook, others) and Kindle format. The Kindle also has access to the Amazon Lending Library if you are an Amazon Prime member. I use my Kindle Fire constantly - the entry level kindle is relatively inexpensive.... The disadvantage is that not every book is available but most new ones are and thousands of Classics are
available for free!

message 23: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (slortiz) | 60 comments Sam wrote: "David wrote: "I have been sorely tempted to get an e-reader. It would be very useful during a long business trip--but I haven't been on a long trip recently. Also, most of the books I read are from..."
David, I hear you. I resisted the whole e-reader thing, but despite my protests my kids bought me a Kindle touch for Xmas. What's terrific is that my local library has tons of stuff I can check out for free in this format. Also, as an Amazon Prime customer, I can check out a lot of best sellers once monthly. And in addition there are thousands of classics that can be borrowed for free. I actually have only bought one book, the rest are free loans. I fill it up with stuff before I go on vacation. It's great.