Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Anthologies, selections and literary mags

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Paul (last edited Dec 27, 2007 04:33AM) (new)

Paul Bryant | 94 comments Dear all

Questions about how we should be expressing the author of certain types of publication.

Example:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18...

This is under Swinburne as he is the editor. It's not under Byron. I assume it should be under both?? And if the editor/selector in question happens not to be famous, should both names still be shown? I.e. "The Best of Shakespeare's Sonnets" edited by P Bryant should be under Shakespeare and under P Bryant?

Next : there are some literary mags, like Granta, which we have listed, Should they all be listed under the editor? (in this case Bill Buford mainly) or should we also be listing the main authors featured?

Finally: some anthologies are shown with the editor first named, then the main authors - is this correct? Seems arbitrary as we can only list three authors.

message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41017 comments Mod
My opinion: start by checking the LOC database (we were just commenting yesterday on its usefulness for other issues). In this case, no listing -- that would be too easy! ;) So it's a judgment call.

Generally, Otis has said we prefer to go with the information on the cover. But I agree with you -- Byron really should be listed first, with the editor second (if at all in the "author" fields). And the same with your Shakespeare example.

The others are stickier. I think what we have generally suggested for multi-author publications is to list by the editor, with a list of authors in the description field. Although if there were only 3 authors (or if two or three in particular had written a large fraction of the volume), I might just list them in the "author" slots.

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Northrup (kristenn) | 25 comments Here's a Reader's Digest combo of four books by four different authors : 0276428692 (ISBN).

What's the best choice for author in that case?

message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41017 comments Mod
Option 1: List the first three in the author slots; list all four in the description.

Option 2: List none in the author slots, and put "Various" instead; description as above.

I lean slightly toward the first, but neither is elegant.