What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > Children frozen behind wall of ice

Comments (showing 1-5 of 5) (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2 comments Children's book from many years ago about girl who gets taken away by pied-piper-type figure, then encased behind wall of ice with other children.Her brother(?) goes looking for her through forests etc. in the snow.He comes across many dangers, including his head nearly being frozen in a well.Someone follows him, looking after him and collecting his frozen teardrops.They give him mittens and an animal tail to put between his teeth.When he finds his sister he has to fling the frozen teardrops in the man's face and recite a poem.The children are then all set free....Please help.It has been driving me crazy. I'm 37 now, and I read this when I was a child, so some time ago.Many thanks
Amanda

message 2: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) It sounds amazing but I don't have a clue. Um, did it have pictures? Were there any dragons or wizards or other cliched magical beings?

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (Seiren) | 64 comments It could be a take on The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Anderson. The genders are opposite in the original, but there's a robber girl who helps the lead character, and a ice-themed villain.

Good luck!

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 2 comments Thanks for your replies. I can't remember if there were pictures in the book, or if I just pictured the characters and scenes in my imagination (as you do as a child).A few people have mentioned The Snow Queen. It does sound similar, but it definately wasn't that exact story.Although I'm sure there have been plenty of rehashed versions of it...

message 5: by Lobstergirl, sniffing Sharpies (new)

Lobstergirl | 20463 comments Mod
Amanda, are you still looking for this?