Koontzland - Dean Koontz discussion

Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas, #1)
This topic is about Odd Thomas
Films & TV Shows > The Odd Thomas Film - NOW AVAILABLE!

Comments (showing 1-49 of 49) (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dustin Crazy little brown owl (Dustpancrazy) | 5741 comments Mod
We've been told for months that the Odd Thomas film was expected to be released in October or November 2012, but no release date has ever been given. Today in the same article that announced TNT's TV Series based on Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series, a 2013 release of the Odd Thomas film is mentioned. Here is the article:
http://www.wordandfilm.com/2012/10/it...

Mike | 3 comments I thought it was common knowledge about Odd Thomas being in 2013.

JUst checked IMDb and it's penciled for a May 20131 release (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1767354/)

Still haven't read the Frankenstein series yet.

message 3: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

In Dean's last Useless News update he said October or November 2012 :-(

D. R. (dinahwill) Well, hopefully soon.

J.S. Bailey (JSBailey) | 178 comments I never realized how long it took between filming and the theatrical release!

Cory Mike wrote: "I thought it was common knowledge about Odd Thomas being in 2013.

JUst checked IMDb and it's penciled for a May 20131 release (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1767354/)

Still haven't read the Franken..."

ive read the first 3 Frankenstein books after the 1st 2 books the story quickly became boreing slow and repetitive. Ive since stopped reading the series and have no intention to start again. I have only read the first 2 Odd books and love them. I had to take a break from the series to read 77 Shadow Street which is so far very well done and recommend it...although i am only 65 pages in.

message 7: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cory wrote: "I had to take a break from the series to read 77 Shadow Street which is so far very well done and recommend it...although i am only 65 pages in. "

Yeah about 77SS - I was really excited at first but there were too many characters brought into the mix I still gave it four stars but in the beginning I gonna give it 5 stars.

Marina Fontaine (Marina_Fontaine) | 103 comments That release date is for abroad, so probably next summer for us.

message 9: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Masha wrote: "That release date is for abroad, so probably next summer for us."

abroad? where is that? who is us? does us mean US? When do I get my damn movie?

Marina Fontaine (Marina_Fontaine) | 103 comments IMDB says Netherlands. It's not uncommon for movies to be released in Europe first, although it would be odd for a Koontz movie.

message 11: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Odd? Interesting choice of wording :-)

Marina Fontaine (Marina_Fontaine) | 103 comments I must have "odd" on my mind..for some reason.

message 13: by Jim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jim C (avsfaninboston) | 165 comments If it comes out in May, it has Iron Man 3 to contend with. I might go to the movies once in a whole year but if these two are released at the same time, it looks like I will attending multiple movies in the month of May.

message 14: by Shangre (new)

Shangre | 35 comments what about Intensity have any of you guys watched the show I didnt like it much

message 15: by Shangre (new)

Shangre | 35 comments never read them hmmmm maybe I should

message 16: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "If the books get better than the first one, maybe I'll read them, too."

It's all a matter of opinion, but personally I have enjoyed books 3,4 and 5 better than book 1 and 2....of course I'm crazy, so you'll have to take that into account but knowing you I think you're safe with my opinion :-)

message 17: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Jan 28, 2013 09:57PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

You know, I liked Breathless until it just ended. I think half the book was missing. Maybe Dean can publish a revealing sequel with some explanation as to what actually happened :-) Breathless could have been a great story, but apparently it got published before completion at least that is what many readers are guessing so I only gave Breathless 3 stars when I typically give Koontz books 4 or 5 stars :-( to put it more simply... I was disappointed with Breathless.

message 18: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

I was just kidding about Breathless being published before completion (I think) - it just seems like that :-)

See Maciek's review for some humor (if you're not easily offended): http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Tick Tock was purposely written to be over the top (after writing Intensity) - Tick Tock is also not among my favorites. I did think there were some creepy parts where the humor didn't overshadow throughout.

message 19: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 48 comments Dustin Crazy little brown owl wrote: "Kyle ~Special K: Rebel Leader~ wrote: "If the books get better than the first one, maybe I'll read them, too."

It's all a matter of opinion, but personally I have enjoyed books 3,4 and 5 better t..."

I had the opposite experience. I liked the first Odd and the 3rd the most. 2, 4 and 5, I read as a hungry person searches around in a kitchen looking for something to satisfy. While they had Odd which made them better than most things I've read lately, he didn't seem to need to develop characters very much. I ask myself is that because he's already done enough of that? And I don't know the answer. I just know I crave more of Odd. While I understand the ability he is developing to kill as is needed, I need more to go with it. For me, the first book laid it all out so clearly, how he was on this path that could not be controverted, how it was without question the right thing to do. And each of the books has done that but I guess in a much more abbreviated form with shorthand. Sadly, I am still in shock the way he kills. He does it in such a disarming manner. Light convo, tell a few jokes, boom. The bad guy is snuffed. Not my usual kind of reading.
Jen

Matthew Behling (MattyKB) | 25 comments Am I the only one who didn't like book 3? Frankly I was bored to tears!

message 21: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 48 comments I am new to this genre so I might not be able to see all the plot devices and expected twists but I was not bored. I liked getting to know the characters. And I have found in 4 and 5 that I didn't get to know many people before they had to be offed. Annamarie is proving too enigmatic to be of sustained interest. And the awful female of 2 was so completely fixated on her evil pursuits that there was not much I wanted to know about her. So, I guess "Brother Odd" was about my speed. I am curious about the types of people drawn to Odd. Couldn't be those out for a real action hero, could it?
Jen

message 22: by Shangre (new)

Shangre | 35 comments When are they making the film cause Im lost ? (heh)

message 23: by Jen LD (new)

Jen LD (JenLD) | 48 comments Check IMDB. That's a very reliable place for info.
Here's the link!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1767354/
Jen

message 24: by Shangre (new)

Shangre | 35 comments ok thnx :)

message 25: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Odd Thomas Producers are Suing....
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-...

message 26: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Link to Movie Pilot for Odd Thomas Updates - currently estimated with a June 2013 release date: http://moviepilot.com/movies/589165-o...

message 27: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Link to the Unofficial Odd Thomas Movie Facebook Page (this is where I get my information & they seem to be pretty accurate):
http://www.facebook.com/OddThomasMovi...

message 28: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matthew wrote: "Am I the only one who didn't like book 3? Frankly I was bored to tears!"

There were a lot of fans who didn't like book three, but me, myself, and I - we loved it! :-)

message 29: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen wrote: "Check IMDB. That's a very reliable place for info.
Here's the link!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1767354/
Jen"

Jeez! IMDB has Odd Thomas listed as a September 2013 release :-(

message 30: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

:-) Oh, I looked at the finer detail and the September 2013 date is for Italy. I feel better now. Let's shoot for June :-)

message 31: by Jim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jim C (avsfaninboston) | 165 comments Just saw on xfinity on demand an advertisement for the movie. It said the same day as the theater. Not sure if that means it is being released in the movies but I think I am going to order it thru cable and watch it.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 879 comments Jim, thanks I will do the same. Did it give a date?

Kimberly (dancingcrane) | 40 comments The movie is on 'release-date' pre-order now on Amazon (release date unknown). Dean Koontz said in his recent "google hangout" that it would be released in 10 major markets at the end of February. I don't know which those would be. I'm assuming places like New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles, maybe Miami, Denver possibly.

message 34: by Jim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jim C (avsfaninboston) | 165 comments Karen B wrote: "Jim, thanks I will do the same. Did it give a date?"

For on demand, it is available until 2/27/2014. I live in Boston. I don't know if that means anything. It costs $9.99.

Kimberly (dancingcrane) | 40 comments Oy, forgot to mention, those 10 major markets are theatrical releases. I just which we had more info on where and when.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 879 comments Being the fanatical and impulsive person that I am ... I rented it and

I LOVED THE MOVIE!

I have a couple of things I need to clear up in my mind so I need to re-read the book but I was not at all disappointed. The Bodachs were scarier than I had imagined. The end was very sad even though I knew what was coming.

message 37: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (last edited Feb 06, 2014 09:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Want to watch the Odd Thomas Film? Visit Dean Koontz's Website for Information (On Demand, Rental, DVD, Blu-Ray, Theatrical Release options):
http://www.deankoontz.com/the-odd-tho...

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 879 comments Once others have seen the movie I would really like to discuss it without worrying about spoilers, so maybe later we can set up a separate discussion thread or something. Because it was a two-day rental I watched it again yesterday to get my money's worth. (9.99 for a movie rental from On Demand seemed rather expensive to me)

message 39: by Jim (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jim C (avsfaninboston) | 165 comments Karen B wrote: "Once others have seen the movie I would really like to discuss it without worrying about spoilers, so maybe later we can set up a separate discussion thread or something. Because it was a two-day r..."

I thought the same thing. $9.99 to rent a movie. But then I realized I was going to see it at the movies which is more money esp. with popcorn and soda. I will probably watch it over the weekend.

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 879 comments Yup Jim, and with the crazy weather, (I won't drive in snow) knowing when I could get to a theater, not to mention where it might be showing ... made this worth it for me. By watching it twice too I felt I got more out of it.

Stacy (stacymarie913) | 16 comments I was finally able to watch it, and compared to earlier movies made from his books, I was impressed! There was one minor detail that I was slightly disappointed with, and I feel like I need to research to find out why they made the change in order to understand it. That said, I really hope there's something in the works for a second one!

Trent (StephenKingaddiction) | 13 comments comes out in march on Netflix doesn't say exact day yet

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 879 comments Stacy, can you send me a note to about the minor detail, see if we are questioning the same thing?

Karen B. (raggedy11) | 879 comments I already found one minor thing I was disappointed in; one of Odd's friends who wasn't included in the movie but that is no big deal. I am re-reading the book to look for other differences. Some of the things that are right from the book kind of surprised me because they were so insignificant I thought. Spoilers ...can't say

message 45: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karen B wrote: "Once others have seen the movie I would really like to discuss it without worrying about spoilers, so maybe later we can set up a separate discussion thread or something. Because it was a two-day r..."

New Discussion Thread created(*Warning: Contains Spoilers*):
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Michael Houle | 23 comments Thought people might like to know, the Odd Thomas movie is playing on the SyFy channel starting right now.

message 47: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl, Colorful Colorado (new) - rated it 5 stars

Good to know. I'm old school. I own the Odd Thomas DVD :-)

message 48: by Barbara (new)

Barbara | 406 comments I'm so sorry the actor playing Odd died....he was perfect in the role and now I'm afraid no other films should be made without him😞😞

Diane Lynch | 467 comments Turned on TV and Odd Thomas the movie greeted me. It’s been awhile since I’ve read an Odd Thomas book. This was a good movie. Now I miss Odd. Unfortunately there’s nothing like the first time you read a good book. I have about 7,532 books on my TBR pile. Latest Koontz included. Life changed quickly. I turned on the TV and I’m sucked back into the world of Odd Thomas.