Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

T.M.T.N: Kissing Cousins (Teaching Between Midnight & Dawn, #2)
This topic is about T.M.T.N
General Discussion > Where are you on Interracial Paranormal Romance

Comments (showing 1-42 of 42) (42 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lauree (new) - added it

Lauree Waldrop | 24 comments For me, It's entirely about story content. If The story sound enjoyable, then I'm going to read it, regardless of what the characters look like. Although, I will say that if race is constantly brought to attention it can distract me from the story, depending upon the purpose. If it is relevant to the plot, great, but if it's only being brought up to remind me that the character is another race, it's annoying. Hope this is the answer you were looking for! :)

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with Lauree here..
But I never think about the what race the characters are when I pick up the book. If the book looks interessting then I am going to read it :)And I do really hope that no one would put down a book because of something like that. It would be very sad..

message 3: by Sally (new)

Sally (larwos) | 258 comments Makes no difference. In fact, I find interracial and same sex stories great. It adds to the interest. Surely in this day and age, this would be the case with most people?

message 4: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 485 comments I'll read the book either way but will make a conscious effort to seek out & purchase those that aren't caucasian because they are different. Those that feature other races or even interracial don't seem to get as much publicity.

Danielle Book Boss (DanielleBookBoss) | 139 comments Pat wrote: "I'll read the book either way but will make a conscious effort to seek out & purchase those that aren't caucasian because they are different. Those that feature other races or even interracial don'..."
I agree Pat. I like to see stories that have interracial couples. It seems a lot of the established authors are starting to incorporate it more in their series. It's just nice to see some diversity. Whether that's pants size (I like plus size heroines), skin color (I like any variety of ethnicity), or having a couple is not rich beyond what anyone can fathom!

I won't automatically read a book just cause they have some aspect of diversity but it's nice when you get your favorite genre, mixed with some diversity, and a good story all in one!

message 6: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 76 comments I like it when the heroine isn't white, it makes the story a bit different. I agree on that if the race is mentioned too often, it gets annoying. However, I'll definitely never refuse to read something just because the heroine is anything other than white.

message 7: by Vaughn (last edited Oct 18, 2012 02:24PM) (new)

Vaughn | 3 comments I agree with Pat. I'm dying to read multi racial romance books. So if anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I'm of mixed race and would love to read more stories like that, but over all I read on content. But to be honest, one of the things that drew me to read the Mercy
Thompson series was the fact that she was part Native American .

message 8: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Rhoades (JackieRhoades) | 34 comments I think the PNR crowd would be least bothered by interracial relatioships. Hell, half the stuff I read is about inter-species relationships and the other half are dead ones! Skin color? What do I care as long as it's portrayed as lickable. I draw the line at scales, though. No reptilians need apply.

message 9: by Shari Kay (new)

Shari Kay (ShariKay) | 341 comments I think a good example would be G.A. Aiken's About a Dragon. She has characters of color and you never think a thing of it. It's all about the story.

message 10: by Shari Kay (new)

Shari Kay (ShariKay) | 341 comments Jacqueline wrote: "I think the PNR crowd would be least bothered by interracial relatioships. Hell, half the stuff I read is about inter-species relationships and the other half are dead ones! Skin color? What do I c..."

Exactly!

message 11: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Rhoades (JackieRhoades) | 34 comments Ooooh, I take that back! Dragon scales are yummy!

message 12: by Lauree (new) - added it

Lauree Waldrop | 24 comments I believe it was Alexandria that said something about culture. I wanted to add that, that is one of my favorite parts of stories with different races. So many people don't even think about different races having different cultures even if they are all from america. Native Americans can obviously have so many different aspects to their beliefs but there can also be differences in culture between black americans and white americans. Off the top of my head I'll say they can cook completely different. Especially in the south (where i'm from lol) It's really great to find a book that captures those small differences and allows us a peek into something we haven't experienced but would really like to!

message 13: by Vaughn (new)

Vaughn | 3 comments Alexandria wrote: "@ Vaughn, ahhhhummm ( clears throat here for shameless plug) try mine hahaha! T.B.M.D; (teaching between midnight and dawn) Arieanna's Legend is free this month on my site; www.poisonedpin.webs.com..."

Haha. Going to look at it now. Thank you!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I read books for the story. G.A. Aiken (Shelly Laurenston) is a great example and one of my favorite authors. Nalini Singh has some good diversity too and also one of my top 3 favorite authors along with Shelly. Both authors are so subtle about it.

What really bothers me is when the cover isn't even close to matching a character of color. Are we really so bad as a society that a person won't pick up a book because the cover has an interracial couple or just a person of color?

message 15: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (Tralo29) I will read a book for the story and content first. but ONE with a charachter of mixed race, or of color would be a nice change. I say this because I have a lot of African American friends who never read PNR books. I think the genre would get a whole new fan base if there were more books, written with main charachter that is non white. And I'm all for interacial couples. Regardless if a books good, its good. no matter the race of its charachter.

message 16: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 485 comments I agree with Jacqueline that inter-species doesn't bother this crowd, we would think nothing of inter-racial. I also agree with Danielle on the plus sized heroines. I'm glad that we are seeing more of both types but still wish it was more. Another thought is that when the star couple aren't caucasian it tends to stand out more when their race is mentioned.

Ultimately it is about the story, and the race and weight don't have to be harped on as a reader I appreciate the differences in race weight & culture whenever I can get them.

message 17: by Leesa (last edited Oct 18, 2012 05:57PM) (new)

Leesa (leesalogic) I'm very interested in books about the other: culture, race, sexuality, paranormal.

Lately I've been getting some free reads through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers and the best two books I've read so far had prominent characters and/or themes that were very much the other (i.e., non-white) category: Salsa Nocturna and Ink.

While SciFi/Fantasy fans and authors have their share of Other-Fear, I do think many of us already embrace concepts, stories, plots about people that Aren't-Us and thus we seem to accept interracial themes or non-white main characters more readily than most. Something else I've learned in my quest to open my mind to other possibilities is--and I admit this is shallow and objectifying--but wow, so much eyecandy if I can appreciate how attractive someone is if I expand my tastes to encompass more than Hollywood/NY Fashion White.

message 18: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 117 comments I love reading interracial couples. I have no problem with it and I love when I get good recs from my GR friends :)

message 19: by Jacqueline (new)

Jacqueline Rhoades (JackieRhoades) | 34 comments I'm liking this conversation. I try very hard to make sure the women in my books aren't 'perfect'. They're short or tall, zoftig or thin, large busted or small and they're all beautiful in their own right, though like many of us, that's not what they see in the mirror. And while my heroes are drool worthy (I hope), they have different body types, too.
I'm thining I should maybe look at color, as well. Write what you believe even if it's in a PNR setting. Yes?

message 20: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi | 2 comments I write interracial, but the main focus is Paranormal the heroine isn't white. http://www.amazon.com/Luciens-Hell-Bo... you can check it out there if you want. I personally like to see the diversion, but as stated above it isn't very popular in mainstream books.

message 21: by Desperado (last edited Oct 18, 2012 09:39PM) (new)

Desperado (LethalLovely) | 453 comments I agree with a lot of other comments in that I value content more than the race of the characters. That being said, I DO notice when a hero/ine is nonwhite and make note of it (I have a shelf dedicated to interracial romances). I myself am a woman of color (Black & Tahitian) so for me, it's nice to read about protagonists that "look like me" in a genre that's saturated with characters that don't. It makes me feel connected in a way.

For example, in Shelly Laurenston's The Beast in Him (Pride, #2) by Shelly Laurenston, the heroine, Jessie Ann, is black. There's a scene where she & the hero, Smitty are playfully arguing about her wearing a shower cap. He thinks she looks ridiculous wearing it but Jessie knows it's a necessity. It made me LMAO because I totally understand. My boyfriend is white & has not one single shower cap at his house. I had to explain to him that my hair resembles a freaking chia pet when water touches it, so unless he wanted to cuddle up next to Sonic the Hedgehog, he needed to invest in caps.

Paganalexandria  | 238 comments I buy tons of interracial romances/erotica. Most of those are contempory, only because I don't run accross a lot of paranormal/urban fantasy in that vien. I would totally read anything not sci-fi.

message 23: by Sandra J (new)

Sandra J Weaver (sandraweaver) | 449 comments In Shelly Laurenston's Go Fetch! (Magnus Pack, #2) by Shelly Laurenston, the heroine is black, very short, and a genius. In Dana Marie Bell's Bear Necessities (Halle Shifters, #1) by Dana Marie Bell and Cynful (Halle Shifters, #2) by Dana Marie Bell, neither hero is white.

message 24: by Dnelson (new)

Dnelson | 22 comments Has anyone checked out Devon Monk? She is awesome.

message 25: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (BlueManticore) | 216 comments Jacqueline wrote: "I think the PNR crowd would be least bothered by interracial relatioships. Hell, half the stuff I read is about inter-species relationships and the other half are dead ones! Skin color? What do I c..."

Well said! I feel the same way.

☺~Tina~☺ (Tina007) | 43 comments I will read them all. Like someone else said I make an effort to find interracial romance books because they are so few comparatively and I'm trying to think if I've ever ran across one that is straight African-American.

message 27: by R.G. (new)

R.G. Richards (R_G_Richards) | 1 comments Keep in mind that as a writer if you are from a minority race your book will contain minorities, You write what you know. As a reader, interracial relationships are different and can be a plus if you want something different. I read from a specific genre such as magic and look at the cover of those books and then read the description, one of them has to appeal to me and I don't care about the MC race. Tell an interesting story and the rest doesn't matter. We begin with suspension of disbelief so why not do it with race.

message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Alexandria wrote: "@ Tabitha: I'm not so sure its a racial thing always. Many times we go to what we know.

My only problem with this, is when you limit yourself to your own comfort zone, you miss out on a plethora ..."

I didn't mean the topic was taboo, but when a lead character is of color and is presented on the cover, I get angry at the publisher for not representing that character. I would suspect they believe sales (or a person simply picking up the book) is more likely to occur with caucasian characters on the covers. That is what bothers me. I feel like I'm not articulating my point so found this article that pretty much covers my issue.

http://thebooksmugglers.com/2010/02/c...

A book away from an episode of hoarders (fidgit77) | 49 comments I would definitely read about an interracial couple if the story sounded interesting. I read pnr/uf and sci-fi almost exclusively and I care more about the story than whether the LIs are male, female, black, white, asian, hispanic, furry, scaled, blue, green, purple, incorporeal, or fanged. Actually, I prefer the variety. :)

message 30: by Leesa (new)

Leesa (leesalogic) Alexandria wrote: "...when you limit yourself to your own comfort zone, you miss out on a plethora ..."

Yes! You said in one sentence what I bungled to say in several. :)

message 31: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 182 comments inter racial doesn't bother me. When we're talk paranormal romance, we're already talking inter species. Race isn't such a big deal when the person is some big vampire warrior or turns into a lion...

message 32: by Shawn (new)

Shawn | 371 comments The heroine in the book I'm currently reading is Chinese, and I have to say that other ethnicity issues in books didn't even wave on my radar until I saw this post. Though given my children are bi-racial maybe it should have ... hmmmm Or maybe it is such a way of life that I am more accepting ... this is one to ponder.

It is a sad state of affairs when the oldest form of communication is the slowest to catch up to the times.

message 33: by Geli (new)

Geli (Cherrygeli) | 26 comments I for one, love this genre but an getting tired of the characters pretty much being the same, mostly blonde with big boobs, though occasionally the hair color changes. I'd love to see someone of a different race in any of these books. Half the time reading these books, I'm thinking that could totally be me! As a young African American woman I'd love to be able to identify with these characters on a greater scale. I mean come on, i could totally be Sookie Stackhouse! Lol But to actually answer the question, it doesn't affect my decision on choosing the book to purchase, I mostly go by storyline, but it wouldn't hurt to influence me.

message 34: by PepperP0t (new)

PepperP0t  | 485 comments Although I'm very excited to read books with other races and cultures I wish the genre choices weren't so limited.

message 35: by Irene (new)

Irene Hollimon | 182 comments When writing I think it's a good idea to at least know what the racial stereotypes are. You might want to make your character run true to a racial stereotype or you might want to make your character run counter to a racial stereotype.
Asian women have a certain mystique- small, but lethal and known hide weapons in their hair.
Perhaps Asian ladies reading this didn't know that part about the weapons in their hair but I've read enough of these books to know... : )
If you don't have enough word space to actually develop a character- you might want to play to racial stereotypes.
Besides racial stereotype or not- I'm white, 49 and chunky... I like the fantasy of petite, Asian, mysterious and fierce. This is after all paranormal fantasy. I'm just sayin'...
Geli brings out a good point. Sookie Stackhouse is a good example. Sookie is a racial stereotype.
I'd be curious to know what Ms Harris was thinking when she chose to write her that way. Was it just a product of her own fantasy- if she could look like anything, what would she look like? Perhaps Ms Harris fantasizes- that's what she would want to look like. Or is it something more nefarious- like she wrote the character that way because that's what her buying demographic looks like.
Interesting, I have read Laurell K. Hamilton comment on what she made Anita Blake look like. Anita looks a lot like Laurell only better. Ms. Hamilton says she regrets that today because her readership sometimes blurs the lines between her and her character.

message 36: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) | 614 comments Mod
I think there's a big difference between researching a culture and dealing in stereotypes, though. Stereotypes sometimes do have a basis in reality, but they also perpetuate falsehoods about that culture. To use your example, Irene, the petite deadly Asian woman alongside the demure, obedient Asian woman casts an entire continent's worth of cultures in a single, unflattering light. Sure, there are petite and deadly women from Asian countries, but at the same time, it's ignoring the richness of all of those cultures and the wide range of human personalities. Is the character from China? Japan? Thailand? Is she an introvert or an extrovert? Is she an assassin or is she a banker? Or a seamstress or an engineer?

I'd much rather see characters of a wide variety of cultural backgrounds that are well-developed, not based on fetishistic stereotypes developed by predominantly white Westerners. And if we don't start breaking those stereotypical depictions, particularly in romance novels (dear god, the noble savage stereotype makes me want to throw up), then we'll just keep on perpetuating them.

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* (ErinPaperbackstash) | 118 comments I haven't run into much of it, but I wouldn't not buy an Urban Fantasy or Paranormal Romance because of the race.

message 38: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (teacupfangirl) | 614 comments Mod
I'm working on a romance novel right now, and I'm writing the female protagonist as half-Japanese, half-white, and I've been very curious about whether or not publishing companies would go for a heroine who's just Hawaiian-Japanese without any white added into the mix. It seems like mixed-ethnicity heroines are more... palatable to publishing companies, if that makes sense? American entertainment does have an appalling habit of pretending that anything featuring a minority as the lead character won't sell. You hardly ever see mainstream Hollywood movies or tv shows with a lead who's not white, and movies are really bad about even having female leads. Stuff gets marginalized as a chick flick or a black movie or what have you. If a romance novel features black leads, it's automatically relegated to the African American Romance category, which isn't marketed as widely as other romances.

It's really a crappy system. :\

message 39: by Jacquel (new)

Jacquel (ClaireVioletThorpe) | 127 comments I don't care much about the character's racial identity, just whether or not they can actually carry the story.

message 40: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra (bloocheese) | 10 comments I would love to read one where interracial couples are featured, but as others have said....race isn't nearly as important to me as content. A good read is a good read, regardless of skin color. That's just my opinion.

But I would love for all races to be represented in supernatural novels. I guess that's why I constantly change the races of my characters or make them crazy multiracial lol.

message 41: by Afsana (new)

Afsana | 3 comments I agree with many other posters in saying that race won't determine whether or not I read a book, but it would definitely be nice to see some variation. There is still so much closed-mindedness present in our society today. When I look at the way teenage girls reacted to the characters in the Twilight series, I can't help but hope that people might be affected in a similar way if literature was more inclusive of other cultures.

message 42: by L.M. (new)

L.M. David | 13 comments I like this genre too but find that many misrepresent one or the other. Is there a writer who does justice to both, as in not making the black too ethnic and the white not a simpleton or innocently ignorant of how society views wm/bw romance??