Comic Books discussion

indie comic recommendations

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Eric (new)

Eric | 62 comments the last couple of comics/tpb i have read were predominantly from the main dc/marvel superhero line up (not surprisingly).

i was just wondering if anybody had any indie or miniseries recommendations. i really want to check out revere from archaia press and local from oni press, but would still appreciate more suggestions.

message 2: by Bex (new)

Bex (rebma) | 1 comments There are so many excellent indie comics out there. Some authors I will read/buy everything they've written: Megan Kelso ("Girl Hero", various compilations), Adrian Tomine, Julie Doucet, Liliane Franson, Eric Olner's Ethan Green adventures ... Debbie Drescher's stuff is sometimes a hit, sometimes a miss. My main interests are queer issues, women artists, appealing graphics and snazzy storylines. That said, I've had a lot of luck wandering through my local and foreign indie comic book stores, picking up pieces that Look Good, and sometimes flat-out gambling on them. I just tried out Empowered, from Darkhorse, which seemed decent, if less indie than my usual fare...

I guess it's a matter of finding a genre you like, or a drawing style you like... I started out with Dan Clowes, Terry Laban, and Peter Bagge, and just branched out. Alison Bechdel's "Fun House" book is a solid, quality read, as is the entire "Dykes to Watch Out For" series. I've liked everything Ellen Forney's drawn, as well, especially "Monkey Food"...

I hope these suggestions are useful. Sadly, Megan Kelso's older stuff is hard/impossible to find. Fantagraphics seems to carry a lot of well-crafted indie comix. Some folks love Peter Kuper, or Art Spiegelman's Maus books, for a more political angle. Lemme know if any of this helps. :) Good luck in your hunts! (Oh...zinewise, "Murder Can Be Fun" is just...highly amusing, and a labor of love. Web-friendly, too!)

message 3: by Eric (new)

Eric | 62 comments whoa thats a lot of suggestions, hehe. i will definitely try to check some of them out. i have already read complete maus, and enjoyed it, but i am pretty sure that the political angle books are not something what i would be looking for.

thanks again

message 4: by Tamara (new)

Tamara (flooby) | 15 comments From Oni Press try Whiteout and Whiteout: Melt by Rucka and Lieber. Excellent stuff.

message 5: by Eric (new)

Eric | 62 comments oh awesome. haven't read yet, but i am reading some great things on it. also my sister highly recommends "love and rockets" (i think thats what it is called) as well as "jonny the homicidal maniac" (from the creator of invader zim cartoon, which is hilarious)

message 6: by Qiana (new)

Qiana Whitted I highly recommend Ex-Machina. It is one of my favorites - although Brian K. Vaughan is a popular writer, this series is published through Wildstorm, so it could be easy to overlook.

message 7: by Tom (new)

Tom Troutman Qiana-Good call on Ex-Machina. I recently heard an interview with Brian K. Vaughn and he stated that he will be wrapping up the series within a year. That title and Walking Dead are my currents faves.

message 8: by Qiana (new)

Qiana Whitted Oh NO he's ending the series? It makes sense, but still.... Arg! I haven't read Walking Dead; I'll have to check that out - Thanks, Tom!