The Diary of a Young Girl The Diary of a Young Girl question

One word to describe the Holocaust

Human.

Not a word I'd really want to use, but my own experiences have taught me that mankind (& womankind) is quite capable of justifying almost every kind of barbarity. There have been genocides before and since, unfortunately (though few of Hitler's proportion).

My father was a young man, studying piano in Munich when he saw Hitler in person, well before he rose to supreme power. It was in a beer hall, and Hitler was giving a speech to his youth group. My father said there was something about Hitler's energy and charisma, one could not take one's eyes from him. Hitler had everyone in the beer hall listening to him intently, and even though my father's German was faulty, he felt himself come under his power.

F 25x33
Linda Fast My mom's cousin was a teenager in Germany before Hitler rose to power. She heard him speak at several rallies and she said he was the best speaker she ...more
Jan 24, 2013 03:46PM

human

abomination

massacre

repeatable

Unnecessary.

Depraved!

Merciless.

unnecessary

inevitable

Hope.
I know that will probably get many bouts of name-calling and questioning, hear me out.
When I read or hear the stories of the atrocities that happened one thing that I cannot miss is the hope that is found. The hope that they will survive, that things will change, that people will learn to put aside differences and learn to love. I think of the hope those people had- enough hope to live through so many terrible things. It is an amazing thing to have such Hope.

F 25x33
Linda Fast I never thought of it as hope but yes I can definitely agree with you. Also the hope of man that something this evil will ever happen again.
Jan 24, 2013 03:37PM

Horrifying

Sickening

Unnecessary is a face lift. The holocaust was vile.

sickening

Savagery

inhumane

deleted member Oct 17, 2012 09:33PM   0 votes
Inhumane.

HORRIFYING

Inhumane.

evil

Detestable

Shocking.

nightmare

cautionary tale

...sorry for cheating a bit.

genocide

Tragic

For those of you who want to read a little known Holocaust tale that elevates the human spirit, check out Rose's Will. It's published as fiction but the character of Eli was modeled after a real Holocaust survivor, a personal friend, who gave me permission to tell his story.

cruel

Cold

Unbelievable.

Let me explain. I believe that it happened; what I find hard to believe is that someone could be so cold and heartless not only to start this, but to let this happen.

horrific

Genocide

nightmare

satanic

terror :(

incomprehensible

I just can't get my brain around it, no matter how much I read or how many movies I see. It's too vast, too awful, the numbers too great, the behaviors too despicable.

Stupid stupidness from a stupid lunatic of man, my word for it? Stupid.

Inhuman

Hell on earth

evil

hell

bastards

Evil!

CRUEL!!!!

tragic

HEARTBREAKING!

Preventable, sadly.

HEARTBREAKING!!!

deleted member Oct 22, 2012 10:54AM   0 votes
incomprehensible

Evil = Vile ( Okay so I cheated)

To me it does not matter why this was done, or when it was done, or how long it has been done. Yes there has been mass killings of people throughout human history however whenever quote,"man dominates man to his injury.." it is evil.

(Quote taken from Ecclesiastes 8:9)

« previous 1