The Mortal Instruments Series LOVERS! :P discussion

Fun Discusssions :P > Should books be rated?

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Camille (new)

Camille (Xena2552) | 5 comments Hey, everyone I am doing a research paper for school about why books should be rated. Have any of you ever thought that a book looked really good, picked it up, and decided that it was absolutely something you didn't want to read because of something inapporpiate? Give me your opinion and please give examples. Thanks!

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth M. | 1 comments I think they are fine in the catagories that they are in now. I mean, you could always put them into what they are about. I don't think you should resrtict books from people if they are mature enough to read them though. THat would not be a cool thing to do at all.

message 3: by Camille (new)

Camille (Xena2552) | 5 comments Elizabeth wrote: "I think they are fine in the catagories that they are in now. I mean, you could always put them into what they are about. I don't think you should resrtict books from people if they are mature eno..."

The thing is not every one is mature enough to read them. The Mortal Instruments for instance has swearing and hints at senuality. A ten year old shouldn't really be reading them but there is no way that they could know what is in them. With that in mind do you think that books should be classified PG, PG-13, R etc?

message 4: by Flora (Ludacris) (last edited Oct 27, 2012 03:54AM) (new)

Flora (Ludacris) ♥ (ShipItLikeFedEx) Hey, Camille. I think yes. We should read books that are of a variety. Like the 50 Shades of Grey, yes, it's true that there are scenes and descriptions of sexuality and all. (I didn't read it. Just that I heard of it.) But people took and chose the book themselves, thus they should be the one to face the consequences, the pollutions of their mind...

message 5: by Lo (new)

Lo (DarkAlleyCookies) | 47 comments Camille wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "I think they are fine in the catagories that they are in now. I mean, you could always put them into what they are about. I don't think you should resrtict books from people if t..."

I sort of disagree. The Mortal Instruments does have sex and everything, but I started reading from the young adult section when I was nine and was already used to reading that stuff. Now it's four years later and I'm not saying those books are teaching me to do that stuff, but they're still fine.

It's people's own faults they chose a terrible book. Sure, it may make sense to blame an author but you can't really do anything about that.

message 6: by Abbey (new)

Abbey | 10 comments I don't think you should restrict books from people because of content. I mean a 16 year old could have gone through much more traumatic things than a 40 year old. I'm just saying everyone is different and you can't use age as a way to tell the maturity of a person.